email@example.com Secure Connections using VPN access
A VPN (Virtual Private Network) client allows you to securely connect to the MSU network from an off-campus location and be able to access your shares, get Exchange email, and access any other network resource you would normally have access to while at work.
VPN client installation instructions for Mac OS 10.5 +
To install a VPN client:
- Click the "System Preferences" link located in the "Apple" menu, then click "Network ". (figure 1).
- Click the plus button in the lower left corner of the Network window; an interface/service dialogue box will open (figure 2).
- Enter the following:
- Choose "VPN" for Interface.
- Choose "PPTP" for the VPN Type.
- Enter MSU VPN in the Service Name field.
- Click "Create".
- Choose "Add Configuration" from the Configuration drop-down menu, then enter MSU VPN in the Name field (figure 3) then click "Create".
- Enter vpn.montana.edu in the Server Address field (figure 4).
- Enter your MSU domain username in the "Account Name" field.
- Click the "Authentication Settings..." button and enter your MSU Domain account password, then click the "OK" button (figure 5).
- Click the "Apply..." button to save settings then to connect click the "Connect" button (figure 6).
To use your VPN client
- Open Network Preferences, click the MSU VPN connection icon in the left sidebar and then click the "Connect" button. OR
- Right click on the VPN icon located in the menu status page and select "Connect MSU VPN" (figure 6).
For assistance please contact the Help Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org - 994-1777).Return to top