How to install a VPN client on Windows XP
To install a VPN client:
A "Connect MSU VPN" login box will open (figure 11), enter your Domain username and password as described below (step 2).
- Click the "Control Panel" link in the Start menu (figure 1).
- Click the "Network Connections" link (figure 2).
- Click "Create a new connection" (figure 3).
The Network Wizard Opens
- Click "Next".
- Select "Connect to the network at my workplace", then
- Select "Virtual Private Network, then
click "Next" (figure 5).
- Enter VPN MSU in the"Company Name" field (figure 6), then click "Next".
Establishing initial connection to the internet
- Select "Automatically dial this connection" to have your computer connect to the internet prior to establishing the VPN connection, then select your internet service provider from the drop-down menu (figure 7).
Select "Do not dial the initial connection" if you don't want to be connected automatically.
- Click "Next".
- Enter vpn.montana.edu in the "Host name or IP address" field (fig
- Select "My use only" so that you're the only user allowed to use the connection (figure 9), then click "Next".
Before exiting you can check the box next to "Add a shortcut to this connection to my desktop" if desired. (figure 10)
- Click "Finish" to exit the wizard.
To use your new VPN connection
Return to top
- Double-click on the shortcut you created on your desktop OR
Go to the Start menu (figure 1), select "My Network Places", click on the "View Network Connections", then double-click the VPN link .
- Enter your MSU domain username and password using the DOMAIN\Username syntax (figure 11) .
You may also use any of the trusted DOMAIN accounts including COE, Facilities, Burns, and KUSM (for example, COE\username).
- Click "Connect" to establish the connection.
Figure 1. Click "Control Panel".
Figure 11. Enter your domain name and password (using the DOMAIN\username syntax as shown) then click "Connect".Return to instructions