- “Futures Prices in Supply Analysis: Are Instrumental Variables Necessary?” with Nathan
P. Hendricks and Aaron D. Smith. 2015. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 97(1): 22-39. http://ajae.oxfordjournals.org/content/97/1/22
- “Deconstructing Wheat Price Spikes: A Model of Supply and Demand, Financial Speculation,
and Commodity Price Comovement,” with Aaron D. Smith, Colin A. Carter, and Michael
K. Adjemian. 2014. USDA ERS Economic Research Report ERR-165, http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/err-economic-research-report/err165.aspx
- “Hedging and Speculative Trading in Agricultural Futures Markets,” with Raymond P.
H. Fishe and Aaron D. Smith. 2014. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 96(2): 542-556, http://ajae.oxfordjournals.org/content/96/2/542
- “Subsidy Incidence and Inertia in Farmland Rental Markets: Estimates from a Dynamic
Panel,” with Nathan P. Hendricks and Kevin C. Dhuyvetter. 2012. Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, 37(3): 361- 378, http://purl.umn.edu/142350
- “The 2008 Cotton Price Spike and Extraordinary Hedging Costs,” with Colin A. Carter.
2009. Agricultural and Resource Economics Update, 13(2): 9-11, http://www.agecon.ucdavis.edu/extension/update/articles/v13n2_3.pdf
- “Commodity Price Comovement and Financial Speculation: The Case of Cotton,” with Aaron
D. Smith and Colin A. Carter.
- “The Quality of Price Discovery and the Transition to Electronic Trading: The Case
of Cotton Futures,” with Aaron D. Smith and Colin A. Carter.
- "The Effect of U.S. International Food Assistance on U.S. Prices for Lentils and Peas”
Works in Progress
- “Wheat Basis and the Price of Physical Grain Storage,” with Aaron D. Smith.
- "Supply Shocks, Futures Prices and Trader Positions," with Nicolas Merener.
- "Characterizing the Effect of USDA Announcements in the Winter Wheat Market Using
Realized Volatility," with Gabriel D. Bunek.
- “Reconciling Theoretical Hedging Models with the Experience of Cotton Merchants in
Joseph Janzen, Ph.D.
Department of Agricultural Economics and Economics
Montana State University
P.O. Box 172920
Bozeman, MT 59717-2920
Tel: (406) 994-5616
Fax: (406) 994-4838
Location: 309A Linfield Hall