Photo by Nate Harris
The building was originally constructed in 1961. Renovation on the building began in the summer of 2008, and was completed in the summer of 2010. While under construction, Gaines Hall classes and labs were re-located to other spaces on campus, including the new Chemistry & Biochemistry Building and the modular buildings north of the Chemistry & Biochemistry Building.
The building is named for Paschal Clay (P.C.) Gaines who taught chemistry for 43 years. He was department head from 1946 to 1957, and MSU acting president four times.