The Dean's Student Travel Fund
The College of Letters & Science is pleased to announce the recipients
of the inaugural Dean's Student Travel Fund awards.
Applications are now open. Fall Applications are due September 16, 2021.
The Dean’s Student Travel Fund program provides grants for undergraduates and graduate students to present original research, papers, or posters at professional and academic conferences.
Eligibility & Award Stipulations
These awards are available to undergraduate and graduate students with majors within the College of Letters & Science.
- Students may apply for an award up to $1000 to present papers or posters at a conference. Expenses can include airfare, lodging, mileage and/or conference registration fees. Please be aware that the College cannot fund students who will only be attending a conference and not presenting.
- This award cannot be used for trips to complete or shadow research.
- Please keep in mind that approval of applications will not be made until a few weeks into each semester, so plan accordingly and have a backup plan if you are not approved for funding.
Students must submit the following packet to [email protected].
- Contact information, including full name, major, phone number, email address, number of credits completed and GPA. Students should include this information in a cover sheet.
- Summary of opportunity you are applying to: Research topic, location, name and dates of conference.
- One recommendation letter from a faculty member speaking to student potential and specific research opportunity.
- Essay component (300-400 words): Please describe how this award will advance your research and/or professional goals?
There are two award periods during any given academic year:
Fall Application Period
This period covers opportunities occurring between July 1 and December 31. Fall application becomes available on the first day of each Fall semester. Any travel occurring between July 1 and notification of award will be considered for retroactive reimbursement.
Spring Application Period
This covers opportunities occurring between January 1 and June 30. Spring application becomes available on the first day of each Spring semester. Any travel occurring between January 1 and notification of award will be considered for retroactive reimbursement.
Application Due Dates, 2021-2022 Academic Year
Travel Between July 1 and December 31, 2021 - Application available first day of Fall semester
The Fall 2021 application for travel between July 1 and December 31, 2021 is due by Thursday, September 16, 2021 by 5:00 pm.
Travel Between January 1 and June 30, 2022 - Application available first day of Spring semester
The Spring 2022 application for travel between January 1 and June 30, 2022 will be open the first day of the Spring semester and is due Wednesday, February 9, 2022 by 5:00 pm.
Students will work with their home department on spending their awards. Award recipients will be expected to attend and be a part of a CLS Dean's Student Travel Fund research open house by the end of the academic year.