Student Research Travel Grants
The College of Letters & Science is pleased to announce travel grants for both undergraduate and graduate CLS students to present original research, papers, or posters at professional and academic conferences.
Eligibility & Award Stipulations:
- Students may apply for up to $500 to present papers or posters at a conference by using our online application (linked below). Expenses may include travel and lodging. Please be aware that the College cannot fund students who will only be attending a conference and not presenting.
- Student travel grants are not eligible to be used for trips to complete or shadow research.
- Please keep in mind that approval or denial of applications will not be made until a few weeks into each semester, so plan accordingly and have a backup plan if you are not approved for funding.
- The application will ask you for a faculty reference. Confirm with faculty that you will be using them as a reference, which will require them to complete a short online form within 1 week of the student application deadline. We will follow up directly with your reference on your application after the submission deadline, giving them access to this form and instructions on how to complete.
There are two award periods during any given academic year:
- The Fall application period covers opportunities occurring between July 1 and December 31. Fall application becomes available on the first day of each Fall semester. Any travel occurring between July 1 and notification of award will be considered for retroactive reimbursement.
- The Spring application period covers opportunities occurring between January 1 and June 30. Spring application becomes available on the first day of each Spring semester. Any travel occurring between January 1 and notification of award will be considered for retroactive reimbursement.
- Please note, applying out of award period (for example, applying early during Fall for a Spring opportunity) will disqualify your application; your application will not be reviewed.
Application Due Dates, 2018-2019 Academic Year:
- Deadline passed. The Fall 2018 application for travel between July 1 - December 31, 2018, will be open on August 27, 2018, and will be due by Wednesday, September 5, 2018 by 5:00pm. Faculty recommendations will be due Wednesday, September 12, 2018.
- Application available January 9, 2019. The Spring 2019 application for travel between January 1 - June 30, 2019, and will be due by Friday, January 18, 2019 by 5:00pm. Faculty recommendations will be due Friday, January 25, 2019.
For more information or to submit an application click on the button below.