To access a full PDF document on updates to the following ongoing initiatives, click here

Gender Neutral Restrooms

Twenty-five new gender neutral restroom signs were installed across the MSU Bozeman campus over the summer of 2016. All of these spaces are gender neutral, single stall restrooms. Plans are moving ahead for 2 single-occupancy shower/changing rooms and 1 single-occupancy restroom on the second floor of the fitness center. This project is slated to be completed by early 2017. Campus Planning, Design, and Construction (CPDC) is currently working with the Diversity Awareness Office to create a locator map for gender neutral restrooms, to be posted on the CPDC webpage.

April 15,2016

Preliminary drawings have been completed for adding two single use shower facilities on second floor of the Fitness Center.  Cost estimates and construction timeline are TBD.  Melanie Stocks will review the preliminary drawings with QSA.

July 26, 2016                    

Gender Neutral restroom signs have been installed at the locations in the table below. Pending sign installations are planned for several buildings depending on further investigation into providing lockable doors on single occupancy restrooms (or fixture counts) and planned construction of new gender neutral restroom/shower facilities at the Fitness Center. CPDC is currently working with Ariel Donahue to create a locator map for gender neutral restrooms, to be posted on the CPDC webpage.

September 8, 2016

The single use shower facilities project is out to bid and we hope to be complete by early January.  There will be two single use locker/shower rooms and a single use bathroom on the second floor of the Fitness Center.

September 30, 2016

As of 9/30, MSU has published a map of gender neutral restrooms on campus: link here.

Housing

Various campus groups have been meeting to develop short-term and long-term plans for gender inclusive housing options. With questions about inclusive housing options, contact James Tobin in Residence Life at (406) 994-2661 or via email at jtobin@montana.edu.

February 23, 2016

Student leaders from QSA and staff from MSU Residence Life including Matt Crosby, Amy Snyder, James Tobin, Todd Jennings (RA), James Corbett (RA), Jordan Garceau, and Jeff Bondy met to discuss their plans to offer better support for LGBTQIA students over the summer and into Fall 2016.  

May 25, 2016

Ellig consults with James Tobin. In March 2016, Residence Life began including the following language in communications with students who would be living on campus in fall 2016:

Is there someone I can talk to about a room preference or roommate request that will be accepting of my specific values or gender identity?

Montana State University is required to assign students based on the gender designation in their official University record (through the Office of the Registrar). James Tobin, Assistant Director of Residence Life is the designated staff members in Residence Life that will be able to answer your questions and to provide you with a personal and confidential assessment of our available housing options. Please contact James at (406) 994-2661 or via email at jtobin@montana.edu to understand options available to you or discuss any questions that you may have. If you speak with a Residence Life staff member, you choose what you want to disclose. Our goal is to make you feel safe and welcome into your new community. Please keep in mind, the earlier you contact us with questions and/or concerns, the more flexibility we will have in assisting you with exploring different housing options.

Institutionally Recognized Name

Montana State University is working on creating a four-campus solution that will support students, faculty, and staff in using an institutionally recognized name. For more detailed information about the status of this project, contact Eric Wold at (406) 994-7497.

March 8, 2016

Eric has convened seven different meetings in the last month with representatives from all four of MSU’s campuses, IT staff, Registrars staff, Admissions staff and student leaders from QSA. Eric and his team are working closely with Macalester College and plan to follow the work they have done on these issues. 

March 23, 2016

Eric and team are wrapping up the first round of informational meetings with each of MSU’s core business units across the four campuses.  Business unit specific meetings are being scheduled with Macalester College to discuss the impacts of their strategy on each business unit.

March 25, 2016

Eric and Tony convened the final informational meeting attended by HR, Finance/AR and Institutional representatives from MSU’s four campuses.

March 29, 2016

Eric convened a webex with members of MSU’s four campus Admissions and Financial Aid Offices to discuss the solution in use at Macalester College.  During the meeting, Macalester’s Financial Aid and Admissions data steward, Abraham Noel discussed the solution and impacts in the Financial Aid and Admissions areas.

March 30, 2016

Eric and Kandi participated a MACRAO conference call and discussed the work that MSU’s 4 campuses are participating in.

April 8, 2016

Eric and Tony convened a webex with member of MSU’s four campus Finance/AR offices to discuss the solution in use at Macalester College.  During the meeting, Macalester’s Finance data steward, Amy Holter discussed the solution and impacts in the Finance/AR area.

April 13, 2016

Eric met with Max Thompson at MSU Human resources to discuss the Macalester solution in depth and to begin developing examples of the impacted HR areas needing further review. 

April 14, 2016

Chris Kearns, Matt Caires, Eric Wold and Tony Campeau participated in a statewide Student Affairs Officers Conference call to share the work MSU’s campuses are doing to support institutionally recognized name and gender on MSU’s campuses.

May 12, 2016

Eric met with the HR Systems Team to begin testing key HR processes to confirm Banner processing behavior with a current recognized name record.

May 13, 2016

Eric met with Finance Systems Team to begin testing key Finance and AR processes to confirm Banner processing behavior with a current recognized name record.

May 19, 2016

Eric met with the Finance Systems Team to continue testing key Finance and AR processes to confirm Banner processing behavior with a current recognized name record

May 25, 2016

Ellig consults with Tony Campeau. This is in progress. There are roughly 40-50 forms that feed into Banner where there would have to be adjustments to include fields for legal name and preferred name as well as a section button as to which should be used with each piece of data.

June 15, 2016

Eric met with the Finance Systems Team to continue testing key Finance and AR processes to confirm Banner processing behavior with a current recognized name record

June 20, 2016

Chris Kearns, Kellie Peterson, Cathy Hasenpflug, Ryan Erickson, and Eric Wold met to discuss supported name parts which may be modified as part of a recognized name, such as first, middle, last.  The group also discussed if the service should be available to anyone when the go-live takes place or if it should be offered to a smaller population initially and expanded to everyone over time.

July 30, 2016

ITC installed Banner General 8.8.5 which includes a set-up form to support future banner baseline features for storing and using a recognized name.

August 2016

Eric conducted testing of Banner General 8.8.5.  The release is scheduled to move to the Banner production environment on September 18, 2016.

August 29, 2016

Chris Kearns, Kellie Peterson, Cathy Hasenpflug, Ryan Erikcson, Jyl Shaffer and Eric Wold met to continue the core scope discussion from June.  The group is planning to make a proposal to PEC in partnership with QSA.

September 6, 2016

Tony Campeau, Ryan Ericson, and Eric Wold met with Kaiden Mershon who is the new QSA representative following Ryan Erickson’s transition to the DAO office.  The meeting was convened to facilitate Kaiden’s transition into this new role and to discuss plans for moving forward over the fall.

January 20, 2017

We are now in the pilot phase and are working with a small group of students to use a chosen name within the MSU integrated systems. The pilot will last for the spring 2017 semester.

Support Programming

The creation and funding of an LGBTQIA specific staff position in the MSU Diversity Awareness Office to grow and expand the existing LGBTQIA support programming. 

August 1, 2016

Ryan Erickson was hired and began his duties as the Graduate Assistant for LGBTQ Student Support. Ryan committed to a 10-month contract in this position and is working on LGBTQ programming and student support.

Best Practices for Inclusive Language

Ryan Erickson, the Graduate Assistant for LGBTQ Student Support in the Diversity Awareness Office, is now leading the effort to create best practices to distribute to MSU faculty and staff. He is working with members of QSA and English faculty member Kate Ryan. The group plans to complete the best practices by the end of the fall 2016 semester. For more information about this effort, contact Ryan Erickson at lgbtq@montana.edu

April 15, 2016

Kate Cowart has begun designing the landing page for LGBTQ resources at MSU. A small working group, including Kate, Matt Caires, and Ariel Donohue met on April 5th to edit and add content. The website is still in the design phase. Content about best practices (created by QSA and Dr. Ryan) will be added to this site when complete.

May 25, 2016

Ellig consults with Donohue and Caires. This project is still in progress pending QSA’s development of a “best practices” draft document. 

August 30, 2016

The group met throughout the summer to work on the LGBTQ website. On August 30, the group reviewed the latest draft of the site and put forth additional suggestions. A “Gender and Sexuality” tag has been created for events on the MSU Calendar that will feed to the LGBTQ website to keep it up to date on upcoming events across campus. Ryan Erickson, the GA for LGBTQ Student Support, is now leading the effort to create best practices to distribute to MSU faculty and staff. He is working with members of QSA and English faculty member Kate Ryan. The group plans to complete the best practices by the end of the fall 2016 semester.

October 10, 2016

Website is now live. 

January 20, 2017

Best practices have been developed and are currently undergoing final review. They will be shared with the campus community during the spring 2017 semester.

March 15, 2017

The best practices document is being shared across campus and can be found HERE.