The diversity of the warm season Aristideae (C4 = Malate), like the warm season Chlorideae and Eragrosteae (C4 = Aspartate), occurs mainly in arid and semi-arid regions of the world. These three warm season grass tribes have a similar type of leaf anatomy where the bundle sheath surrounding each vascular strand is walled off from adjacent bundle sheaths and each bundle sheath is surrounded by a thin layer of mesophyll. The cool season tribe Arundineae occurs in wetlands or moist sites in temperate to subtropical regions throughout the world. The cool season Danthonieae is most diverse in montane and grassland regions. The cool season Bambuseae are tropical and temperate understory grasses but also occur in montane grasslands, although not in montane North America. The cool season Oryzeae occurs in tropical and temperate aquatic and wetland environments throughout the world.
142. Aristida adscensionis. This species is not in Lesica or the Montana Grasses app. Sixweeks threeawn. A native annual bunchgrass common in open arid disturbed sites mostly in the southwestern USA (e.g., the Mohave, Sonoran, and Chihuahuan deserts). The annual habit and tripartite awn, where each awn segment has a flattened or narrow-ribbon-like shape at least along the basal one-half rather than a cylindrical shape, combine to distinguish this species.
143. Phragmites australis subspecies americanus.
144. Phragmites australis subspecies australis. European common reed (permanent mount). Introduced rhizomatous perennial reeds that stand at least 2 m tall. Very similar to the native subspecies americanus, but the leaf sheath and blades are persistent, the exposed stems don’t turn reddish, the first glumes are mostly less than 4 mm long, and the leaf blades and sheaths are mostly a bluish green rather than bright green. Possibly of management concern if it displaces the native subspecies americanus.
145. Arundo donax (permanent mount). This species is not in Lesica or the Montana Grasses app.
146. Danthonia intermedia.
147. Danthonia unispicata.
148. Danthonia californica.
149. Schismus arabicus. This species is not in Lesica or the Montana Grasses app.
150. Sight-identify as bamboo: Arundinaria gigantea, Chusquea culeou, or Phyllostachys aurea (permanent mount).
151. Oryza sativa (permanent mount). This species is not in Lesica or the Montana Grasses app.
153. Leersia oryzoides (permanent mount).
152. Zizania palustris.