Montana State University has implemented a network firewall appliance that has enabled us to significantly improve our ability to protect mission critical services from unauthorized use and/or interruption and allow the adoption of services that couldn't be considered under our previous network configuration.
System owners who require inbound connections from the Internet to their machines are required to complete a Firewall Access Request Form so that the network team can configure the firewall to allow the requested inbound connections. All outside initiated inbound connection attempts that are not specifIcally allowed will be denied. The firewall permits routine business traffic (such as email and Web browsing) that is initiated from inside the MSU network.
If you manage or will be managing a system that requires inbound connections from the Internet, the Firewall Access Request Form must be completed before services will be available from off-campus. All requests will be added to the firewall within the next business day.
Please direct questions to MSUFirewall@montana.edu.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will this affect my connectivity to the Internet from my desktop?
- No. You will still be able to connect to the Internet from your desktop as you can now.
- Will this affect my connectivity to my departmental server?
- No. You will still be able connect to your departmental server from your desktop as you do now.
- Will this affect my connectivity to Banner from my desktop?
- No. You will still be able to connect to Banner from your desktop as you do now.
- Will this affect VPN access to campus systems?
- No. VPN access will not be affected and is the recommended method for connecting to campus resources remotely. For instructions on installing or using a VPN client please visit: Windows VPN Mac VPN.
- Will this affect my connectivity to Banner INF from home?
- No. You will still need to connect to the “Banner VPN” before connecting to Banner from offsite.
- Will this affect my connectivity to MyInfo from home?
- No. You will still be able to connect as you do now.
- Will I still be able to use Remote Desktop from my house?
- Yes, but first you will need to connect to the “MSU VPN” before establishing a Remote Desktop connection to an on campus computer.
- I have a satellite Internet connection which limits my ability to use the VPN. Can I still use Remote Desktop?
- Yes. Fill out the request form with your MSU desktop‘s IP address to be added to the appropriate access group.
- I will be adding several new servers to my lab next year. What do I need to do to be sure my servers have the correct connectivity?
- Fill out the request form with the MSU IP addresses of the server(s) and what services (ports) that require connections from off campus.
- Will I be able to use Skype for my departmental video conferences or phone calls with our colleagues at other universities?
- Will I still need to apply updates and run anti-virus and anti-spyware?
- Yes. While the firewall will play an important role in securing our environment, it is only one layer of our multi-layered approach.
- Will I still have to manage my host-based or departmental firewall?
- Yes. You will still continue to manage your host-based and/or departmental firewalls as you have been.
- I still have questions. Who do I contact?