The following audition requirements will apply to scholarship auditions and to studio
admittance auditions when requested:
For questions regarding audition repertoire, please contact the appropriate School of Music faculty member. Click here to view a list of our faculty.
Woodwinds and Brass
- Two-octave major scales in concert keys of E and A flat in 8th notes at 120 bpm. (oboe only one octave of A flat required)
- Full range chromatic scale in quarter notes at 144 bpm
- Two solos or etudes in contrasting styles of length 2-4 minutes each
Piano & Guitar
- Two solos in contrasting styles
- Piano: D major & d harmonic minor scales - minimum 2 octaves, hands together ascending & descending
- Sight reading excerpt
- Two memorized art songs in contrasting styles (no folk song arrangements),
preferably one of the songs in Italian or another foreign language.
Auditions for possible placement in a voice studio are held during spring voice juries and during the the first week of classes for fall placement and during fall finals week for spring placement. Please see the main bulletin board in the lobby of Howard Hall for audition times. An accompanist will be provided - please bring music for them.
- Two 3-octave scales; one major, one minor
- One movement of an unaccompanied solo or etude
- One movement from the standard concerto or sonata repertoire
- Two 3-octave scales, one major and one minor
- One movement of Unaccompanied Bach
- One movement of a concerto or a short piece
Select and prepare music that will demonstrate your proficiency on at least two of the following instruments:
- Snare: published solo (rudimental or orchestral)
- Keyboard: 2 or 4 mallet published solo
- Timpani: published solo that best demonstrates your ability on technique and tuning
- Drumset: demonstrate various styles, as well as chart reading and soloing
Performance auditions are required of all scholarship applicants. Professional attire is expected for all auditions. Piano accompaniment will be provided for vocalists only. Instrumental auditions do not require an accompanist. All students may be asked to sight read, clap simple rhythmic patters, and sing a short melody. Please refer to the Scholarship Information Page for scholarship audition dates. Admission to instrumental or vocal studios is at the discretion of the instructor and may require an audition upon arrival for the term. Ensemble participation auditions will be held at the beginning of the Fall term. You can find more information about our ensembles here. Please inquire in the School of Music Office for availability of audition materials. Appropriate attire is expected for all auditions.