Mountains and Minds: Summer Music at MSU
August 5, 2016 - August 14, 2016
The Touring Orchestra is a select, auditioned string ensemble allowing high school students from around the world to experience the beauty of Montana through a musical lens. Open to violin, viola, cello, and piano students (incoming freshman through recent senior), the performance tour includes Bozeman, Chico Hot Springs, Yellowstone Park and Big Sky. Students will open for and work with Big Sky Classical Music Festival guest artists. Musicians will perform as an orchestra and chamber groups.
Touring Orchestra Audition Requirements
- Any major scale (3 octaves, 4 eighth notes per bow/slur, quarter = 72)
- Any minor scale (3 octaves, quarter notes, quarter = 72)
- Two contrasting 1-3 minute excerpts from the solo literature
High School Jam
August 8, 2016 - August 12, 2016
The High School Jam is open to all local (Bozeman area) high school violin, viola, cello, and bass students (incoming freshman through recent seniors). The camp will develop performance and communication skills within chamber groups and an orchestra, in a relaxed and fun environment.
High School Jam Recording Requirements
- Any scale of choice
- 1-3 minute excerpt of solo playing
This is not an audition, but is necessary to place musicians in chamber groups.
- Invitation to participate in Big Sky Classical Music Festival Events
- Master classes with:
- Big Sky Classical Music Festival Guest Artists
- MSU School of Music Faculty
- Chamber and large ensemble performances
- Faculty Recital
Register online by June 1st, 2016 (May 1 for Early Bird rates)
Registration should include:
- Completed registration form
- Audition recording
- Audio file (.mp3 or .wav) via WeTransfer
- If you choose WeTransfer please use link above. It autofills some info for you! You
just have to provide your file and email address.
- $25 non-refundable deposit for Touring Orchestra applications
- Full tuition payment for High School Jam applications
For payment please send a check to Montana State School of Music at the address below, with Mountains and Minds in the memo line.
P.O. Box 173420
Bozeman, MT 59717
Touring Orchestra Fees
Early Bird Discount (Register by May 1, 2016): $599 Total
Normal Rate (Register by June 1, 2016): $624 Total
- $25 nonrefundable online deposit is due with registration
- Students will be notified of acceptance by June 8, 2016
- Remaining balance is due on June 15th, 2016 for accepted
The fee covers registration, tuition, meals, housing, transportation on tour, and t-shirt.
High School Jam Fees
Early Bird Discount (Register by May 1, 2016): $99
Normal Rate (Register by June 1, 2016): $124
The fee covers tuition and T-shirt.
- Angella Ahn – Violin, Viola
- Julia Cory Slovarp – Director, Cello
- Julie Gosswiller – Piano
- Tobin Stewart - Orchestra