SOTW - Drum Majors
The drum major is the most visible member of the marching band. He/she conducts the band during field shows, in the stands, and at numerous other events. The drum majors are also is primarily responsible for teaching marching technique to the band during band camp. Because this position is so paramount to the success of the band, only those members that consistently display outstanding characteristics of leadership, attitude, and musicality will be selected for drum major.
Priorities of the Position:
- Conduct the Band
- Teaching Marching Technique
- Represent the Band (be the face of the band)
- Focus the Band during rehearsals
- Work with outside organizations for band appearances
- Meet weekly to rehearse and plan for the band
Candidates who show themselves to be outstanding will be invited to audition in the final round. This is determined by the directors through application, demonstration of skills, and the interview.
The final round will be evaluated in three areas, all determined independently of each other with the top two candidates winning the position of drum major.
- The audition will be observed and scored by a panel of judges (usually between 1-3). This will include conducting, marching, and a teaching demonstration.
- Tempo test. This is basically pass/fail. Drum major candidates will have to provide accurate tempi for several of the band’s tunes.
- The band will provide feedback on how they feel each candidate will represent them as drum major.