> Caring For Our Own Program Graduate Support
Indian Health Service (IHS) Nursing Scholarship Program
The purpose of the IHS Nursing Scholarship program is to increase the number of nurses and nurse practitioners who deliver health care services to American Indians and Alaska Natives. Students who are admitted to the nursing graduate program can apply to participate in the IHS Nursing Scholarship Program. Scholarships will be awarded in return for the student’s agreement to perform a period of active duty service (“service obligation”), of not less than two years, in an Indian health program.
To be eligible for the IHS Scholarship, participants must be:
1. Enrolled as a full-time graduate student (minimum 9 credits/semester),
2. Pursuing a course of study leading to a graduate degree in Nursing (only the FNP or FPMHNP options), and
3. A member of a federally recognized tribe.
- Fees, and
- Living stipend
Scholarship recipients must agree and adhere to the following:
1. Maintain full-time enrollment;
2. Maintain an acceptable level of academic standing (3.0 GPA or above);
3. Complete a period of obligated service of one year for each year of scholarship support that is received (with a minimum service period of two years).
IHS Scholarship Documents and Forms
Documents and forms to be completed by IHS scholarship recipients are available as part of the complete manual outlining IHS 112 policies and requirements.
How do I begin?
If you have decided that now is the time to begin your graduate education, first follow the College of Nursing Graduate Program “Steps to Apply."
Upon acceptance into the College of Nursing graduate degree program you may apply to the CO-OP, which, in turn, makes you eligible for an IHS scholarship (if you meet the criteria outlined above). If you are not interested in an IHS scholarship you can still benefit from the support that the CO-OP program offers American Indian and Alaska Native students.
To apply for CO-OP:
Complete the application prior to June 15th and mail your complete application to:
Caring for Our Own Program
MSU College of Nursing
PO Box 173560
Bozeman, MT 59717-3560