The Montana State University Honorary Degree Committee is soliciting nominations for the 2012-2013 academic year.
Policy: Montana State University may award an honorary degree to individuals who:
· have an association with MSU and/or the State of Montana by virtue of birth, education or direct contribution to the well-being of the state's citizens.
· have distinguished themselves in such a manner and at such a level as to have won recognition in their respective areas of endeavor at the state, regional or national levels.
· will reflect favorably on MSU, the Montana University System, and the State of Montana.
Long tenure in a position, personal durability and above average service, while praiseworthy, do not equate with merit as conceived in these criteria. The renown of the candidates should reflect favorably on MSU and Montana. While most honorary degrees are rightfully conferred in acknowledgment of a full and distinguished career, some honorary degrees may also be conferred on distinguished young achievers. Current employees of the Montana University System are not eligible for this honor.
Procedures: Faculty and any other interested persons may nominate qualified individuals for an honorary degree by submitting a letter of nomination to the Honorary Degree Committee. Please submit nominations by November 9, 2012 to:
John Carlsten, Chair
c/o Shari McCoy
MSU President's Office
211 Montana Hall
In addition to letters of nomination, supporting materials such as resumes and supportive letters are required. The complete policy can be found at http://www2.montana.edu/policy/honorary_degree/. For more information, contact Shari McCoy at 994-2341.
MSU Honorary Degree Committee solicits nominations
September 10, 2012
- Stearns to serve as interim chancellor at MSU Billings
- MSU students intern at Smithsonianâ€™s National Museum of Natural History
- MSU grad student receives Newkirk Fellowship to study solar cycles
- MSU Army ROTC to commission eight lieutenants
- Gallatin County Extension office to host weekly plant clinic
MSU News Service
Tel: (406) 994-4571
Tel: (406) 994-4571