Montana State University

Seniors encouraged to apply for Montana homeowner/renter tax credit

February 12, 2013 -- MSU News Service

Subscribe to MSU Newsletters

Bobcat Bulletin is a weekly e-newsletter designed to bring the most recent and relevant news about Montana State University directly to friends and neighbors via email. Visit Bobcat Bulletin.

MSU Today e-mail brings you news and events on campus thrice weekly during the academic year. Visit the MSU Today calendar.

MSU News Service
Tel: (406) 994-4571

BOZEMAN - Montanans who were 62 or older as of Dec. 31, 2012 may qualify for Montana's elderly homeowner/renter tax credit for 2012.

Those who meet the following qualifications may be eligible for the credit:

  • Turned 62 or older by Dec. 31, 2012?
  • Occupied a Montana residence(s) as an owner or renter for 6 months or more during 2012?
  • Lived in Montana for nine months or more during 2012?
  • Has total gross household income less than $45,000 in 2012? Instructions for determining total gross household income are included with the form required to request the credit, Form 2EC.

Montana allows qualifying citizens a credit for a portion of their property taxes or rent paid based on their income. The credit can be used against state income liability or as a direct refund if the person is not required to file a Montana state income tax return. Only one claim is allowed per household.

To determine eligibility, applicants must complete Form 2EC, which can be found at your local Department of Revenue office, library, post office or tax preparer office. It is also available on the web at by navigating to "Looking for 2012 Forms", clicking on "Individual Income Tax", and then clicking on "Montana Elderly Homeowner/Renter Tax Credit" - "2012".

Help is available to complete Form 2EC by calling the Department of Revenue, (406) 444-2830 (hearing impaired only) or toll free: 1-866-859-2254. If you are in the Helena area, call (406) 444-6900. 

Contact: Marsha Goetting, Extension Family Economics Specialist, (406) 994-5695 or