Want to hear an 80,000-word thesis explained in 180 seconds? A group of graduate students from Montana State University’s College of Engineering will give you the chance during their presentations in the 3-Minute Thesis event on Friday, Feb. 27, from 3-4:30 p.m. in the Procrastinator Theater.
The seven finalists chosen for the inaugural 3-Minute Thesis competition at MSU come from disciplines across the College of Engineering. They will endeavor to explain – in just three minutes – how their research might affect you. Contestants must condense their research into a brief, engaging presentation for a non-specialist audience, using a single presentation slide.
“The Graduate Student Ambassadors have organized this event for the college and the community,” said Jessie Mueller, a graduate student researching human factors in driver safety. “We are excited for the opportunity to show our local community the exciting ways that research in the College of Engineering may eventually impact their lives.”
Following is a list of finalists:
- Chris Allen will talk about his research into treating wastewater with wetlands
- Josh Aller’s thesis deals with materials research to reduce the cost of solar panels
- Patrick Donnelly’s thesis is on musical instrument identification in audio files
- Cat Kirkland will discuss her project to examine using bacteria to clean, monitor and protect groundwater
- Sarah Mailhiot’s thesis delves into drug delivery to cure osteoarthritis
- Paul Nugent will discuss his work to design sensors to better understand the Arctic climate and ultimately model the Earth's future climate
- Neerja Zambare will present her project looking at using bacteria to produce and deposit hard minerals to seal cracks and bind dissolved contaminants
Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) is a research communication competition developed by The University of Queensland in Australia. For more information, visit www.threeminutethesis.org.
Contact: Sarah Codd, professor, mechanical and industrial engineering, (406) 994-1944 or email@example.com