Montana State University

MSU Extension offers information for seniors on Montana homeowner/renter tax credit

February 10, 2016 -- MSU News Service

Subscribe to MSU Newsletters

Bobcat Bulletin is a weekly e-newsletter designed to bring the most recent and relevant news about Montana State University directly to friends and neighbors via email. Visit Bobcat Bulletin.

MSU Today e-mail brings you news and events on campus thrice weekly during the academic year. Visit the MSU Today calendar.

MSU News Service
Tel: (406) 994-4571

Montana State University Extension is offering information on Montana’s senior homeowner/renter tax credit for 2015. Montanans 62 or older as of Dec. 31, 2015, may qualify.

Montana allows qualifying citizens a credit for a portion of their property taxes or rent paid based on their income. The credit can be used against state income liability or as a direct refund if the person is not required to file a Montana state income tax return.  Only one claim per household is allowed.

If you can answer "yes" to all of the following questions, you may be eligible for the credit:

  1. Were you 62 or older as of Dec. 31, 2015?
  2. Did you occupy a Montana residence(s) as an owner or renter for a total of six months or more during 2015?
  3. Did you reside in Montana for nine months or more during 2015?
  4. Was your total gross household income less than $45,000 in 2015? Form 2EC contains instructions for determining total gross household income for the purpose of determining the tax credit.

To determine official eligibility, complete Form 2EC, which can be found at your local Department of Revenue office, library, post office or tax preparer’s office.  An online form may be found here:

Assistance completing the form is available by calling the Department of Revenue, toll free: 1-866-859-2254 or (406) 444-2830 (hearing impaired only). In the Helena area, 444-6900 or

For more information, contact Marsha Goetting, MSU Extension family economics specialist, (406) 994-5695 or 

Contact: Marsha Goetting, MSU Extension family economics specialist, (406) 994-5695 or