Year 1 and Year 2
Year 1 of Northern Plains Transition to Teaching is a very exciting and busy time! The "academic year" spans approximately 26 weeks and consists of three eight-week courses with a one week break in between each course. We begin four cohorts of students per academic year beginning in September, December, February, and April. During Year 2 of the NPTT Program you have the opportunity to begin your teaching practicum. If you choose not to participate in a practicum during year two, that is acceptable as well.
Completing the licensure process is certainly the apex of the NPTT student's experience. It is the responsibility of each student to apply for licensure in the appropriate state immediately following the completion of the NPTT program.
Each state has its own requirements for applying for licensure. It is important to note that NPTT and MSU only complete the Institutional Recommendation for Licensure form, and do not file for licensure for you. Please do not send your application packet to the NPTT office.
- Completed all NPTT coursework for licensure successfully
- Sent Praxis II scores to NPTT office
- Professional Portfolio for Licensure
- Qualification form emailed to NPTT, verified, and professional portfolio for licensure completed in D2L with a passing score
- Sent Institutional Recommendation form only to NPTT office (DO NOT SEND FULL APPLICATION)
- Asked specific licensure questions to state licensing authority
- No outstanding balances with Montana State University
- All Content Area Deficiencies completed
For information on applying for licensure in our partner states, please see the following links:
Montana: Office of Public Instruction
Contact Lorri or Bekki at 406-444-3150 with questions.
Wyoming: Professional Teaching Standards Board
Contact PTSB at 800-675-5893
South Dakota: Department of Education
Contact Roxie Thielin at 605-773-4669 or email