Courses and Requirements
Course Descriptions: NPTT consists ten or eleven courses under the Education, Curriculum and Instruction rubric - EDCI (depending on completion plan) . All students take EDCI 552-559 and EDCI 540 as well as one of the two options for EDCI 598. Student Teachers also take EDCI 564 in addition to all other coursework.
- EDCI 552: Human Development and the Psychology of Learning
- EDCI 553: Diversity, Special Needs, and Classroom Discipline
- EDCI 554: Curriculum Design, Pedagogy, and Assessment
- EDCI 558: Methods of Teaching
- EDCI 559: Equity, Special Needs, and Diversity
- EDCI 555: Technology, Instructional Design, and Learner Success
- EDCI 556: The Legal, Social, and Practical Basis of Schooling
- EDCI 557: Brain Science, Educational Research, and Teaching
- EDCI 540: American Indian Studies for Educators OR EDCI 591: International Comparative Education
- EDCI 598: Paid Internship (1 Credit, and 2 credits – must be taken for a total of
3 credits over 2 semesters)
- EDCI 598: Student Teaching (6 credits)
EDCI 564: The Comprehensive Portfolio (taken by Student Teachers only)
Please see the Course Descriptions document for detailed course descriptions.
NPTT Program Completion
A student’s plan of completion depends on when they enter the program (cohort number) and what practicum option is chosen. Please see Schedules on our webpage.
Students are expected to progress through the program. This means to “make continual progress”, as stated in the memorandum of understanding with NPTT.
NPTT will sign off on a Provisional Teaching License after students have completed EDCI 552 and 553. These courses are designed to teach the minimal requirement of knowledge and skills necessary for the novice teacher. NPTT strongly recommends that students not pursue a provisional teaching license until they have secured a teaching position that qualifies for the paid internship (cannot be starting until the second academic year engaged in NPTT). A request for variance from this timeline must come a school administrator who has hired the NPTT student, and will be considered on a case-by-case basis.