About the Practicum
The practicum is a supervised teaching experience, and is a required part of the NPTT program. There are two options to completing the practicum—the paid internship or student teaching.
The final year to begin the paid internship is fall semester 2017, completing at the end of spring semester 2018. The final semester student teachers will be accepted is Fall Semester 2017. The Paid Internship will conclude in Spring 2018. No NPTT placements will be made after Fall 2017 as the program will fully close down and the conclusion of the Spring 2018 semester. All students who are intending to complete the program must have their practicum plan in place by the Spring 2017 semester.
- Paid Interns (EDCI 598, 4 credits) NPTT paid internship requires an application, due by August 1st prior to the beginning of the academic year. Read the NPTT Practicum Policy for important information prior to applying. The paid internship is an academic yearlong contracted teaching position in an accredited public or private school. To qualify, the teaching position must be in the NPTT student’s major area of teaching endorsement and a Montana Class 5 teaching license (or appropriate license to the state in which the teaching takes place) once a contract has been signed. The paid internship requires consecutive enrollment in 1 credit of EDCI 598 fall semester and 3 credits of EDCI 598 spring semester, spanning the academic year. Paid Internship placements will be accepted Fall 2016 and Fall 2017. The paid internship includes both MSU Fall semester and MSU Spring semesters. Once the NPTT student is hired to teach, an application for the paid internship can be obtained by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Student Teachers (EDCI 598, 6 credits) NPTT student teaching requires an application and necessary documents (detailed below) submitted prior to the deadline. Read the NPTT Practicum Policy for important information prior to applying. NPTT student teaching requires enrollment in 6 credits of EDCI 598 during MSU fall or spring semester, for approximately 14 weeks. NPTT embraces the co-teaching model because of the benefits to the student teaching, cooperating teacher and ultimately the K-12 student. Required documents to student teach due before application will be considered:
- Fingerprinting Packet: A cleared current criminal background check on file at NPTT (completed within 12 months prior to the start of student teaching; requires approximately 6 weeks to obtain; packet can be mailed to you upon request
- First Aid/CPR certification
- A current resume (PDF) tailored for a student teaching position
- A one page teaching philosophy (PDF) a brief (no more than one page) document written in first person that allows the reader to better understand your beliefs about teaching and learning in your classroom. When writing a teaching philosophy, consider the following: How will I facilitate learning? Why do I teach the way that I do? What does this look like in practice? How do I evaluate learning?
- Student teaching placements will be accepted for MSU Fall semester 2016 (full time and part time placements), MSU Spring semester 2017 and MSU Fall semester 2017 (full time placements only).
The application can be obtained by contacting email@example.com.