Upper Division Placement Application
Students are admitted to Pre-Nursing with admission to Montana State University and admitted to Nursing when accepted to Upper Division (junior and senior level nursing courses).
Deadlines for the spring application round:
November 15 – The application for Spring placement available on the nursing website
January 4 – Applications are due
January 15 – Transcripts are due. Fall grades will be calculated in for the Spring application
March 1– Students will receive letters after this date regarding placement
Deadlines for the fall application round:
June 15 – The application for Fall placement will be available on the nursing website
August 1 – Applications are due
August 15 – Official transcripts are due. Summer grades will be calculated in for the Fall application
October 1 – Students will receive letters after this date regarding placement
- A calculated GPA of 3.0 or higher in required prerequisite courses is required to apply to the nursing program. See Policy C-16. Students are awarded placement based on their pre-requisite course work GPA. Selection moves from the highest GPA downward until all seats are filled. Historically, this has been a GPA of at least 3.5; this does vary with each applicant pool, however. Students should work closely with their advisor each semester to ensure readiness for application.
- All required prerequisite courses must be completed with a grade of C or better (C- Grades are not acceptable) and no more than 2 of the required prerequisites courses may be repeated 1 time to earn a grade of C or better.
- At least 3 of the 5 required natural science courses must be completed with a grade
of C or better to apply to the nursing program. Those courses are: BIOH 201**, BIOH
211, BIOM 250, CHMY 121 and CHMY 123.
**BIOH 201 (Anatomy and Physiology I) MUST be one of the three completed science courses in order to apply
- A MSU-Bozeman cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher is required prior to enrolling in the first semester of the junior year of upper division coursework.
- Campus placements will be based on the student’s ranking of campus (5 in the fall, 4 in the spring) on his/her application. If a student is not offered his/her 1st campus choice, he/she may request to be on the wait list for the desired campus and if not placed from the wait list, may re-apply during the next application period.
A urine drug screen, background check and immunization information are required at the time of application. The College of Nursing utilizes CastleBranch®, an accredited member of the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS) for compliance tracking. Instructions for accessing your account, and completing the urine drug screen, background check, immunization tracking and e-learning, will be supplied in the application.
We strongly encourage students to read Policy C-16.
If you have questions please call 406-994-3783.