Traditional Program of Study: BSN Upper Division Placement Application
Where to Start:
- Applicants should be advised by a pre-nursing Advisor. Contact email: email@example.com
- Transfer students – contact a CON Academic Advisor to request an unofficial transcript evaluation prior to applying to the program. Depending on the time of year, transfer evaluations can take up to 3 weeks. We recommend starting the application process one year before you plan on starting Nursing courses.
Deadlines for spring placement:
June 15 – The Nursing CAS Application and CastleBranch portal will be available on the nursing
website - www.nursingcas.org & https://discover.castlebranch.com/
August 1 – Nursing CAS will be closed at 10pm MST time and CastleBranch required sections are due (please see below)
August 15 – Official transcripts are due through Nursing CAS. Summer grades will be calculated in for spring application
October 1 – Students will receive notification regarding placement
Deadlines for fall placement:
November 15 – The Nursing CAS Application and CastleBranch portal will be available on the nursing
website -www.nursingcas.org & https://discover.castlebranch.com/
January 2 – Nursing CAS will be closed at 10pm MT time
January 10th - CastleBranch required sections are due (please see below)
January 15 – Official transcripts are due through Nursing CAS? Fall grades will be calculated in for the spring application
March 1– Students will receive notification regarding placement
Requirements for Application:
12 prerequisite courses completed or in process, with a minimum of a 3.0 GPA. Prerequisite courses include:
- CHMY 121- Introduction to General Chemistry with a face to face lab
- General Chemistry 1 AND 2 can be combined to meet this requirement
- CHMY 123- Introduction to Organic and Biochemistry Principles with a face to face lab
- Organic Chemistry 1, 2 AND a Biochemistry course can be combined to meet this requirement
- BIOH 201- Anatomy and Physiology I with a face to face lab
- BIOH 211- Anatomy and Physiology II with a face to face lab
- BIOM 250- Microbiology for Health Sciences (no lab required) – focus on infectious diseases
- STAT 216- Introduction to Statistics
- NUTR 221- Human Nutrition
- HDFS 101- Individual and Family Development & Well-Being –Across the Lifespan OR PSYX 230 Developmental Psychology
- Must include content on infancy through death
- PSYX 100- Introduction to Psychology
- SOCI 101- Introduction to Sociology
- WRIT 101 – College Writing
- US CORE, US101 or CLS 101 – Knowledge & Community
- A calculated GPA of 3.0 or higher in required prerequisite courses is required to apply to the nursing program. See Policy C-16. Students are awarded placement at one of our 5 campus sites, based on their pre-requisite coursework GPA. Selection moves from the highest GPA downward until all seats are filled. Historically, this has been a GPA of at least 3.5; however, this does vary with each applicant pool. Students should work closely with their advisor each semester to ensure readiness for application.
- All required prerequisite courses must be completed with a grade of C or better (C- Grades are not acceptable) and no more than 2 repeats total across the required prerequisite courses. A grade of “W” counts as a repeat.
- At least 3 of the 5 required natural science courses must be completed with a grade
of C or better to apply to the nursing program. Those courses are: BIOH 201**, BIOH
211, BIOM 250, CHMY 121 and CHMY 123.
**BIOH 201 (Anatomy and Physiology I) MUST be one of the three completed science courses in order to apply
- An MSU-Bozeman cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher is required prior to enrolling in the first semester of the junior year of nursing coursework.
- Campus placements will be based on the student’s ranking of campus on their application. If a student is not offered their 1st campus choice, they may request placement on the wait list for the desired campus. If they are not placed from the waitlist, the student may re-apply during the next application period.
APPLICATION PROCESS – two-part process:
Process 1- Nursing CAS:
- To apply to the BSN Program at MSU you must use Nursing CAS portal, the nursing profession’s online application service. The BSN application will only be available beginning on June 15th and November 15th.
- Please refer to the MSU NURSING CAS APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS for assistance while filling out the application.
- If you are having issues with the Nursing CAS portal, please contact Nursing CAS for assistance.
- The second part of the BSN application is fulfilling requirements for clinical compliance. This requires creating an account and submitting documents through CastleBranch, a clinical compliance tracking portal. Here is a list of the following requirements for each application:
- a urine drug screen – due August 1st or January 10th
- background check- due August 1st or January 10th
- e-learning **
- Immunization **
- CPR - must be American Heart Association (AHA) BLS for Healthcare Providers **
- Proof of Health Insurance **
**Must be completed by the end of September or the end of February
- CastleBranch opens for FALL PLACEMENT applicants on November 15th.
CastleBranch Portal link: https://portal.castlebranch.com/MV83/spif/MV84/MV84spring
- CastleBranch opens for SPRING PLACEMENT applicants on June 15th.
CastleBranch Portal link: https://portal.castlebranch.com/MV83/spif/MV84/MV84fall
*Other MSU links will be available on CastleBranch, but these are for renewals only.