Frequently Asked Questions

How do I deposit money onto my CatCard?

You can deposit money using cash, check or credit/debit card at the CatCard Office and the Residence Life Cashier's Office or online using a credit/debit card.

What should I do if my CatCard is Lost or Stolen?

You should immediately report your CatCard lost once you have discovered it is missing. You are responsible for all transactions that occur on your CatCard until it is reported lost and activity has been suspended. You can report your card lost 24 hours a day by logging in to your account online or by calling 406-994-2273 (Please leave a voicemail if it's after office hours.).

Can I withdraw money from my CatCard?

The CatCard Office does not function as a bank, therefore we can only issue CatCash withdrawals when you withdraw from school or if it is the end of the semester.  (Note:  CNC Cash is NOT refundable.)

Can I deposit money for the laundry machines?

The laundry machines in the residence halls take only CatCard money. You can deposit money at the CatCard Office, the Residence Life Cashier's Office or online anytime.

The washer/dryer took my money. What do I do?

Go to the front desk of your residence hall and fill out a "Money Lost in Machine" form. Once the CatCard Office receives this form and we confirm the transaction took place we will refund the money to your card.

I get an error message whenever I try to swipe my card. What should I do?

Please write down the error message that you are getting and then bring your card to the CatCard Office. We will try to help you figure out what is wrong.

How do I get my Football Ticket on my CatCard?

Go to and enter your student ID number. Follow the instructions to set up your account. Once you are done the ticket will automatically be downloaded to your CatCard.

My CatCard is not swiping. What should I do?

Your card could be demagnetized. Please bring your card to the CatCard office and we can try to re-magnetize it for you. If we determine that your card is no longer able to be re-magnetized, a replacement card is $15.00.

I got married and changed my last name. Do I need a new CatCard?

Not unless you want a new one. Your name must be changed in the MSU system before a new card can be printed. Replacement cards are $15.00.

Will I lose my money at the end of the semester?

No, your CatCard money will roll over each semester and your money will stay on your CatCard for up to two years after you have left MSU.

How can I check my CatCash or CNC Cash balance?

You can check your balance at the CatCard Office, the Residence Life Cashier's Office or online.

Do I have to get a new card every year?

No, your undergraduate card will work your entire stay at MSU as an undergraduate. If you decide to continue on as a graduate student at MSU, then you will need to get a new card with your graduate status printed on the front.

Where can I use my CatCard?

Virtually every place on the MSU campus that requires payment for goods or services will now accept CatCash as payment.  Please refer to the locations page for information on all the places where you can use your CatCash.  Please visit the University Food Services website for more information on using CNC Cash.

I have a student attending MSU. Can I find out what his/her CatCard balance is?

Students over the age of 18 are protected under the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Unless your student has filled out the required FERPA form and you know the authorization password, we are unable to give out that information.