Campus Sustainability Advisory Council
|Maxwell, Bruce||Chair*||President||Land Res & Environmental Sciences|
|Noland, Katie||Co-Vice Chair||NECO|
|Stevenson, Dan||Co-Vice Chair||Facilities Services|
|Arment, Rob||Member||Professional Council|
|Banziger, Walt||Member||Facilities PDC|
|Barney, Rebecca||Member||Facilities PDC|
|Bass, Tommy||Member||Extension Services|
|Bilo, Susan||Member||MT Renewable Energy Assoc.||Community at Large|
|Bjornson, Blake||Member||Students at Large|
|Brookshire, Jack||Member||Faculty Senate||Land Resources & Environmental Sciences|
|Filbin, Nancy||Member||Division of Student Success||Disability, Re-entry, & Veteran Services|
|Gannon, Paul||Member||Faculty Senate||Chemical Engineering|
|Gleason, Rebecca||Member||Western Transportation Institute|
|Halverson, Shay||Member||Safety & Risk Management||Electroinic Scrap Coordinator|
|Hayden, Chris||Member||Sports Facilities|
|Hook, EJ||Member||Facilities Services|
|Jutila, Todd||Member||Auxiliaries||University Food Service|
|Hansen, Stephanie||Member||Auxiliaries||University Food Service|
|LaFrance, Kay||Member||Communications for CoN||College of Nursing|
|Lone Fight, Lisa||Member||Graduate Students||LRES|
|Meyer, Natalie||Member||City of Bozeman||Community at Large|
|Ruppel, Kristin||Member||Faculty Senate||Native American Studies|
|Sellers, Martha||Member||Institute on Ecosystems||Research Computing|
|Tobin, James||Member||Residence Life|
|Williamson, Dean||Member||Bioenergy Systems||SFBS Program|
|Blacker, Kristin||Ex-Officio||ASMSU/AdminFinance||Office of Sustainability|
|Gress, Jack||Ex-Officio||ASMSU/AdminFinance||Office of Sustainability|
|*also serves as MSU Sustainability Liaison|
Sustainability includes (but is not necessarily limited to) energy/resource management, conservation and stewardship as affected by systems, campus culture, transportation, the built environment, individual actions/behaviors, etc., for the long term benefit of the environment.
- Provide a university framework to coordinate & advise sustainability efforts on a campus-wide basis.
- Advise the President regarding national, regional, institutional and community-based sustainability efforts.
- Explore and propose methods to fund campus sustainability initiatives and improvements. Review, analyze and determine funding support for sustainability proposals, including performance measures, progress reporting, etc.
- Sponsor and guide the development of policies to increase and promote sustainability. As noted in the MSU Vision Statement - sponsor “a comprehensive Campus Sustainability/Energy Policy that includes guidelines for building energy conservation, new construction criteria, water conservation, transportation, purchasing, and recycling, with the goal of minimizing our impact on the environment…and…develop and implement an educational outreach program…and…oversee a baseline inventory of campus energy consumption, benchmarked against national and international standards, and establish meaningful timelines and goals to optimize consumption.
- Guide the development of a comprehensive plan (including proposed funding mechanisms and institutional structure to guide implementation) to address the Governor’s 20x10 Initiative, the Presidents Climate Commitment, and other initiatives as appropriate.
- Guide the development of a set of sustainability measures/indicators for the campus.
- Guide the development of a communication strategy to promote, publicize and raise awareness of MSU’s sustainability efforts, benefits and successes among campus, community and statewide constituents.
- Solicit and support the involvement of students and student organizations relative to sustainability efforts undertaken by the Committee.
- Advocate strategic planning for continued sustainability to MSU governance groups.
- Guide coordination with university system and state government sustainability efforts.
The Committee should meet monthly or as necessary to conduct the business of the Committee.
It is intended that the Committee be comprised of representatives from a broad range of campus constituents, appointed by the President from nominees submitted by the respective organizations.
- Chairperson – MSU Sustainability Liaison
- Vice Chair - Facilities Services (Assistant Director/Utilities)
- ASMSU (3) – (Chair of ASMSU Sustainability Committee + 2 Senators)
- Faculty Senate (3) – (Academic/Science, Research, etc)
- Professional Council (1)
- Staff Senate (1)
- Auxiliaries/Student Affairs/Residence Life (1)
- City of Bozeman (1) – Enviro/Sustainability Coordinator
- MSU Communications & Public Affairs (1)
- Information Technology Center (1)
- Extension Service (1)
- Human Resources (1)
- Facilities Services (1) - (Environmental Services Manager)
- Facilities Planning Design & Construction (1)
- Safety & Risk Management (1) - (Electronic Scrap Coordinator)
Committee members are selected on the basis of the following: a) the specific responsibilities related to their position (ex officio); b) their particular expertise, knowledge or interest relating to the responsibilities of the committee, the campus in general; and/or c) to represent the interests of a particular constituent group.
In addition to the active participation of each member, the responsibilities of Committee members who represent a constituent group, and particularly those who represent an MSU governance body, include the dissemination of appropriate, relevant and timely information to their constituent groups, as well as the solicitation of constituent group input regarding issues before for the Committee.
All members of the Committee have voting and proxy rights.
Appointed by the President from nominees submitted by the respective organizations.
Current -- Bruce Maxwell
Title -- Professor-PHD, Land Resources & Environmental Sciences
Appointed By -- President
Length of Term -- 3 Years
- Present an annual progress briefing to the President and the President’s Executive Council regarding sustainability efforts.
- Prepare a biennial “State of Campus Sustainability” Report for the President, the President’s Executive Council and broad constituent circulation.
The Committee shall guide efforts to seek funding to distribute in support of sustainability efforts, e.g., collaboration with ASMSU to combine student funding with university funding; some portion of potential savings from a university resource conservations contract; federal and private grants, etc.