Download pdf verision
- Notify: Notify persons in the area that a spill has occurred.
- Prevent The Spread: Cover the spill with absorbent paper.
- Clean Up: Use disposable gloves and remote handling tongs. Carefully fold the absorbent
paper and pad. Insert into a plastic bag and dispose of in the radioactive waste container.
Also insert all other contaminated materials such as disposable gloves into the plastic
- Survey: With a low-range, thin-window GM survey meter, check the area around the spill,
hands, and clothing for contamination. Perform a wipe survey of the affected areas.
- Report: Report incident to the Radiation Safety Officer. If assistance is needed for
steps 1-4, notify Radiation Safety Officer first.
- Clear The Area: Notify all persons not involved in the spill to vacate the room.
- Prevent The Spread: Cover the spill with absorbent pads, or paper. Do not attempt
to clean it up. Confine the movement of all personnel potentially contaminated to
prevent the spread of contamination.
- Shield The Source: If possible, the spill should be shielded, but only if it can be
done without further contamination or without significantly increasing your radiation
- Close The Room: Leave the room and lock the door(s) to prevent entry.
- Call For Help: Notify the Radiation Safety Officer immediately. If possible, have
someone who is not directly involved in the spill call for help.
- Personnel Decontamination: Contaminated clothing should be removed and stored for
further evaluation by the Radiation Safety Officer. If the spill is on the skin, flush
thoroughly and then wash with mild soap and lukewarm water