REDCap (Research Electronic Data Capture) was developed by Vanderbilt University. It is a secure web application for building and managing online surveys and databases. While REDCap can be used to collect virtually any type of data (including 21 CFR Part 11, FISMA, and HIPAA-compliant environments), it is specifically geared to support online or offline data capture for research studies and operations. The REDCap Consortium, a vast support network of collaborators, is composed of thousands of active institutional partners in over one hundred countries who utilize and support REDCap in various ways. Learn more
How Researchers Use REDCap
Researchers use REDCap for a variety of different purposes, including:
- Administering simple recruitment surveys
- Collecting data for low-budget clinical trials
- Supporting operational activities such as class registration or evaluation
- Tracking adverse events
- Creating longitudinal studies with automatic follow-up surveys
- Administrating multi-site studies
- Eliminating double data entry
REDCap at MSU
MSU is a part of the Institute of Translational Health Sciences (ITHS), which offers MSU free use of their REDCap installation. Free REDCap technical support and up to one hour of no-cost consultation is also available to help get your research project started. ITHS offers a number of advanced REDCap services that are available on an hourly, fee-for-service basis.
Getting Started with REDCap
- Sign up as an ITHS member individual here: https://www.iths.org/about/join-iths/. This will add you as a member to the ITHS directory and give you access to ITHS resources.
- Register for your ITHS REDCap account at https://redcap.iths.org/
- Check out the workshops on May 2 and 3 on the Training Webpage