First Year Experience (FYE) Coordinator Position
We are excited to announce a new professional position with the Outdoor Recreation Program, The First Year Experience (FYE) Coordinator. Applications are now open! Screening of applications will begin on November 18, 2019.
The First Year Experience Coordinator is responsible for the oversight and management of Expeditions MSU, our first-year outdoor orientation program, as well student staff recruitment, development and evaluation in support of Expeditions MSU.
The First Year Experience Coordinator will work to facilitate our Expeditions MSU program throughout the summer. Over the course of a summer we run ~20 trips of 8 incomingMSU students and 2 student trip leaders. The First Year Experience coordinator will also manage the recruitment, hiring and training of our student staff in preparation for the student staff’s role as trip leaders for ExpeditionsMSU. Some duties include:
Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Trip planning and assessment.
- Risk management for student led programs.
- Student staff development and training as well as scheduling.
- Work flow and logistics management for programs.
- Curriculum development and assessment.
- Marketing and recruit for First Year Experience Programs.
- Participation in Recreational Sports and Fitness departmental goals and initiatives
- Bachelors degree in relevant field (Education, Recreation, Business, Sociology/Psychology, Health and Human Development) or Bachelors degree plus 2+ years experience in relevant field.
- Wilderness First Responder Certification or ability to obtain within 30 days of hire.
- Demonstrated experience working with/mentoring college students and/or young adults in an outdoor education setting.
- Demonstrated experience managing complex logistics in a dynamic and fast paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to teach backpacking and backcountry travel.
- Certification as an instructor in any of the following outdoor skills:
- Avalanche Education
- Kayak/Rafting/Swift Water Rescue
- Rock/Ice Climbing
- Wilderness Medicine
- Mountain Biking
- Masters Degree in Outdoor Recreation, Education, or other relevant field.
- Demonstrated ability working with local and national land management agencies.
- Demonstrated experience facilitating college outdoor orientation trips and/or extended experiential/adventure programs.
- Demonstrated oversight of outdoor/adventure programs risk management.
- Full-time, salaried position 14.926-$18.658 per hour (approximately $31,000-$39,000 annually), commensurate with experience, education and qualifications.
- Some opportunities exist to teach additional courses that would supplement a base salary.