First Year Experience (FYE) Interim Coordinator
We are excited to announce a new professional position with the Outdoor Recreation Program, The First Year Experience (FYE) Interim Coordinator. Position timeline: Feb 15-Oct 15 (8 months, dates are somewhat flexible). Applications are open now, will close on November 24, 2018. See position description below:
The First Year Experience Interim Coordinator is responsible for the oversight and management of MSU’s First-Year Outdoor Orientation Trips Program (FOOTSteps) as well student staff recruitment, development and evaluation in support of FOOTSteps.
- Developing First-year student outdoor orientation programs to support transition to
- Over 20 individual trips over the course of the summer
- 200+ incoming students
- ~15 student trip leaders
- Develop risk management plans for all trips in the field
- Manage the FOOTSteps budget and support business functions
- Manage all aspects of program development from planning to evaluation
- Collect and analyze data associated with student outcomes around FOOTSteps
- Assist with recruiting, training, evaluation and management of Outdoor Program Student Staff.
- Develop marketing strategies and materials to be used to recruit incoming students for FOOTSteps.
- Support general Outdoor Program functions as needed.
- Actively support the implementation of the Recreational Sports and Fitness Strategic plan
- Bachelors degree in relevant field, or Bachelors degree + relevant field experience.
- Two or more years experience working with young adults in an outdoor/adventure recreation setting.
- Demonstrated experience working in the field for extended trips (5 or more days in length)
- Demonstrated ability to teach basic and advanced camping skills to a variety of students
- Wilderness First Responder Certification or ability to obtain prior to hire
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated competence using personal computers and software such as word processing, spreadsheets and rental/equipment inventory/point of sales software
- Master’s degree in Education, Outdoor Recreation, College Student Services Administration, Business, Sport Sciences or related field.
- Significant experience working and collaborating with University/Municipal/Private recreation organizations
- Ability to teach certification workshops/trainings in a variety of program areas
- Experience teaching outdoor recreation courses for credit at a college or university
$20,000 for 8-month contract period. Salary has limited flexibility based on experience.