400.00 Sales/Promotions and Commercial Activities
Adopted June 1994; Revised October 2001, scheduled review October 2004, Revised July 2008. Revised February 2009.
410.00 Non-Affiliated Groups
Non-affiliated groups may not use University facilities for commercial promotion, solicitation of sales or to sell goods or services, except as follows:
- A group that has contracted with the University to rent a facility may conduct commercial activity within the facilities rented if the activity is noted and approved in the contract for use of the facilities, or
- A group that has entered into a contract with the University for the sale or promotion of its goods or services in exchange for support of particular University programs, such as corporate sponsors for Bobcat Athletics.
- In the Strand Union Building only as authorized by the Strand Union Policy.
420.00 Affiliated Groups
Affiliated Groups are departments of MSU, registered student organizations or entities affiliated as a component unit of the university for purposes of financial reporting. Affiliated organizations include the Montana State University Foundation, Montana State University-Athletic Scholarship Association, and the Museum of the Rockies, Inc. Sales, promotions or other commercial activity by affiliated groups are allowed as follows:
- The group must schedule the space to be used in advance of the activity.
- The sales or promotional activity must be directed toward raising money for the benefit of the affiliated group.
- Sales and promotions must be conducted only at times and in the locations designated by the university for such activities.
- Sales and sales promotion shall be limited to the Strand Union Building, the Bobcat Stadium, Shroyer Gymnasium, and the Fieldhouse.
- Each group must limit its sales to a maximum of five days each semester/summer session.
- No state facilities, equipment and/or employees may be used for any commercial purpose. Therefore, those using state facilities, equipment and/or employees must pay for any such uses as required by an appropriate written rental or use agreement.
- Special rules apply to sales, sales solicitation and promotion or other commercial activities in Family & Graduate Housing and the Residence Halls. See Section 850.00 .