About Professional Council
The Professional Council (PC) was established by MSU’s President in 1979 as a
means of facilitating communication and cooperation among professionals, and communication with administration in the development of general decisions and policies which affect professional employees. PC is not an advocacy group. The Council is intended to promote collaborative efforts by professionals with others on campus in mutual efforts to effectively and efficiently carry out the land-grant missions at Montana State University, Bozeman.
Professional Council participates fully in all aspects MSU’s Shared Governance.
2018-2019 Professional Council Projects and Goals
Professional Council is involved in several projects designed to strengthen MSU’s professional community, to increase its value as a resource, and to recognize and promote the expectation that professional employees can serve as valuable brand ambassadors for MSU and the Montana University System. These projects include:
- Get PC name out to all professionals
- Send information out on a bi-monthly basis (newsletter)
- Communicate with employees about professional development opportunities and committees to serve on
- Update website on a regular basis with professional development and other news and information for professional employees
- Invite all PE to Pro Council meetings and encourage members to bring a buddy to a meeting
- Hold PC meetings at different building around campus
About Professional Staff Members
MSU professional employees are passionate about the many ways in which they contribute to the student experience at MSU. A highlight of being a professional at MSU is the ability to work with a team of dedicated co-workers for the university that encourages an environment of learning and growth for both students and employees.
When asked about their most satisfying aspect of MSU employment professionals said:
- Working with amazing, active colleagues
- Working with farmers and collaborating with other MSU researchers to address grower needs
- Growth potential, encouraging environment for learning and growth
- Proximity to outdoors
- Doing outreach
- Working with a team of other committed professionals to engage our students
- Contributing to higher education in the land-grant context
- The extremely relaxed atmosphere
- Working with students who need financial assistance and scholarships; working with amazing faculty
- The people I work with and the students!
- All of the different groups I get to work with
- Working with students and supporting their experiences
- Working with great people
- Providing great facilities for students
When asked about areas that need the most improvement at MSU professionals said:
- Parking – transportation
- Representation w/ Administration
- Opportunities to network w/ industry; collaboration between departments
- Employee connections and networks
- An ombudsman who can represent professionals in employment conflicts
- Difficulty processing a raise for anyone. Too much red-tape.
- Changing the culture of fear and insecurity, as well as ending the lip-service to shared governance
- Pay and opportunities to advance or more professional development opportunities
- Job progression paths
- A type of employee discount system around the valley
- Equipment budgets could be improved
- Build stronger staff/faculty relationships
Results are from a spring 2018 survey of professional employees at MSU.