Emeritus and Retired Faculty
Process for Requesting Emeritus Status for a Retiring Faculty Member
To request emeritus status for a retired faculty member:
- Complete the Board of Regents item template. Note the Board of Regents deadlines for meeting agenda items (first link on BOR website).
- The length of the document should be between 1 and 2 pages.
- Write it as a narrative testimonial to the success and impact of the professor. Imagine having the nomination read out loud at the Regents meeting or at a ceremony endowing the title on the professor.
- Forward the completed template to the Dean's Office with a nomination memo from the Department Head, as specified in the Faculty Senate policy. The nomination memo does not need to be lengthy.
- Provide the Regents template and nomination memo in a Word document format.
- Visit the Board of Regents website for examples of other nominations. Go to the agenda of any of the main meetings and look under the Staff and Compensation Committee for “Consent Staff Items.”
- Dr. Robert E. Gough emeritus nomination.
Association of Retired Faculty
The purpose of the Association of Retired Faculty of Montana State University - Bozeman is to foster the benefit, interests and well being of retired faculty and spouses through social, educational, and promotional activities, as well as to encourage continuing retiree contact and involvement with the University. In so doing, helping to enrich the personal and professional lives of persons in the University and the greater community.