Note: Montana Universtiy System Residency Policy is established by the Board of Regents.  Individuals are encouraged to read the full policy (Montana Residency Policy).  For specific processes, deadlines, forms and guidance please review the information below. 

For additional information please select the appropriate icon below: 

Board of Regents  

Board of Regents 

The full residency policy as set by the Montana Univeristy System Board of Regents here.   

Incoming Undergraduates 

Office of Admissions 

Incoming freshman and transfer students who have not attended Montana State Univeristy-Bozeman.* Transfers from Gallatin College to MSU go through Admissions. 

Please contact your admissions evaluator in the Office of Admissions for more information. 

Current Undergraduates (for reclassifcation) 

Registrar's Office 

Current students and returning students who have attended go through the Registrar Office. 

Graduate Students (Incoming and Current)


Graduate School 

Incoming and current Graduate Students petition through the Graduate School.

To print a summary of the policy and required documentation, or for more information, use these links:



To Petition for in-state classification of residency/fee status, a student must submit the Residency Questionnaire with appropriate documentation (see: Documentation to Accompany Residency Petition) by the prescribed deadlines. For further information on the residency policy, petition deadlines or questions on issues not described in this summary:

  • New undergraduate applicants or prospective students, contact Admissions at, or call 406-994-6620.
  • New graduate applicants or prospective students, contact The Graduate School at 406-994-4145 or
  • Continuing or returning former students contact the Registrars Office at or call 406-994-6650.