The Off-Campus Housing program within the Residence Life Office at Montana State University strives to provide information, resources, and advising on off-campus housing to any student, regardless of where they currently live.
Students can utilize print and online resources created by Residence Life, as well as access a directory of non-university resources related to off-campus housing. Students can meet with an off-campus housing advisor to discuss their options, questions, and orient themselves to available resources.
Montana State University Residence Life does not complete off-campus housing applications, place students, take deposits, or work with landlords and property management companies on behalf of students. Residence Life does not assume responsibility for a property or rental found using resources we have provided.
Off-Campus Housing Guide: A complete guide to living off campus! This document includes information about what to look for when looking at off campus housing options and ways to make your off campus living experience successful.
Apartment Searching Resources:
- Beat Roommate Woes: This document shares just a few tips and suggestions on how to get a long with and work with roommates to create a successful living environment.
- Parent Family Association Off-Campus Living 101 Webinar: In February 2016, the Montana State Parent & Family Association partnered with the Bozeman Good Neighbor Committee to host this webinar. This webinar featured MSU staff members, City of Bozeman staff members, local property managers, and Police/Fire staff, all discussing and presenting information on what it means to be a good neighbor and off-campus tenant. Information covered included available resources from MSU Residence Life, things to be aware of when renting, tips on being a good neighbor, ways to get involved in the Bozeman community, and general information related to off-campus living.
- Rental Search Checklist: The checklist provides a list of amenities and services that different apartment complexes and rental agencies provide for within their units. This will help you evaluate all of your options and which unit is going to meet your needs.
- Cost Comparison Worksheet: When exploring various options on-campus and off-campus, this worksheet provides a breakdown of some of the anticipated costs that renters are likely to encounter. This will help you evaluate all of your options and which direction is going to be most cost-effective.
- Renters Insurance Relocation Costs: If you are relocating to Bozeman or considering off-campus living, this informational sheet provides a few points to think about with insurance, transportation costs and relocation costs.
- Spending Plans: Budgeting and preparing to live off-campus can be beneficial, but it can also create the need to budget your money and spend wisely. This resource provides the checklist and necessary items to consider how you spend your money on a monthly basis.
- ASMSU Legal Services: The Associated Students of Montana State University (ASMSU) and Cromwell Law offer limited scope legal assistance services to MSU-Bozeman and Gallatin Valley College students. If you are a student taking 7 or more credits a semester, you are entitled to very cheap legal services.