Solicitation Policy Statment
- No group outside of the Residence Life Department (Residence Life Staff, RHA, and IRHA) may hang posters in the living environment of the Residence Halls.
- All posters found on floor bulletin boards which were not approved by/distributed through the Residence Life Office will be removed and destroyed.
- Posters may be hung on main lobby bulletin boards (only) in each residence hall without obtaining approval from the Residence Life Office.
- Any group representative found hanging unauthorized posters will be removed from the building immediately and, if need be, University Police will be contacted.
- Groups may post advertisements on the designated solicitation bulletin board found in each hall in the lobby.
- Posters which contain nudity, foul language, or a message degrading to others, either implicitly or explicitly, based on race, gender, religion, disability, gender identity or sexual orientation or otherwise in violation of the University non-discrimination policies will be removed at the discretion of the Director of Residence Life.
- Only registered MSU student organizations or candidates for elected office, and MSU Offices and Departments may submit a posting for the digital displays in the living areas of residence halls at MSU. Organizations or candidates submitting an advertisement for the residence hall digital displays must get the advertisement approved by the Office of Residence Life. On occasion, organizations may be given "blanket approval" for posting in the residence halls. Organizations with "blanket approval" must follow all of the guidelines for posting set below.
- Submissions must be emailed as a JPEG to the Residence Life Office at firstname.lastname@example.org and be submitted for approval. If approved, the submissions will be distributed by Residence Life personnel.
- Groups must submit advertisements to Residence Life at least five working days prior to their event.
- Advertisements making any mention of alcohol or drugs, either implied or explicit, will not be approved.
- Posters which contain nudity, foul language, or a message degrading to others, either implicitly or explicitly, based on race, gender, religion, disability, gender identity or sexual orientation or otherwise in violation of the University non-discrimination policies will be removed at the discretion of the Associate Director of Residence Life.
- Advertisements will remain on the digital displays for a maximum of 7 days or 1 day after the event. (MSU Departments may request an exception.)
- Advertisements for reoccurring events and meetings can only be submitted once a semester.
- All groups requesting use of a residence hall lobby for an information table must receive a signed permission slip from the Residence Life Office. The number of tables allowed is restricted.
- All groups must show the signed permission slip to the Program Assistant at the appropriate hall prior to setting up a table. The table must be set up in a place which does not interfere with normal hall business (as determined by the hall Resident Director.)
- The group's name, purpose, and intention must be clearly stated and visible to students approaching that table.
- Sales in hall lobbies at specified times may occur with prior written authorization by the Vice President of Administration and the Director of Residence Life.
- Groups are not allowed to:
- require students to stop at their table or physically stop them.
- require students to give their room, hall or telephone number in order to receive information or qualify for raffles, drawings, etc. (students who willingly give this information must be informed that they will be contacted by someone prior to them sharing this information).
- advertise or discuss alcohol or drugs with students.
- leave their table and approach students in other areas of the hall.
- call out to or otherwise harass students as they pass the table.
- impede foot traffic through the lobby or create any safety hazard or blocked exit.
- Businesses wanting to distribute coupons to students in the halls must come to the Residence Life Office and get a signed permission slip. This will allow them to leave their coupons on/near the main desk in the hall lobby for students to pick up if they choose to do so.
- Coupons may not be put in mailboxes or under room doors
- The mailboxes located in the residence halls are reserved for U.S. Postal Service functions which protect the integrity of the mail. Mailbox stuffers are allowed on a limited basis and only if they are initiated by RHA or authorized by the Department of Residence Life for official University, or RL/UFS communication.
- All mailbox stuffers must be approved by the Director of Residence Life
- As per a previous agreement, ASMSU will be allowed to submit a maximum of 10 items as mailbox stuffers per academic year.
- There are certain times when door-to-door campaigning is permitted. These are during
national, state or local elections or ASMSU/RHA elections. Some specific guidelines.
- Only candidates and their representatives may campaign door-to-door.
- Candidates wishing to campaign door to door in the residence halls must have written authorization from the Director of Residence Life.
- Door-to-door campaigning may take place from noon to 7 p.m. and only on days specified.
- All candidates campaigning door to door must abide by the rules and regulations in that hall. Please be aware of and adhere to building escort policies.
- Candidates wishing to use other methods of advertisement/solicitation should use the guidelines listed in the above sections.
Please contact the Office of Residence Life at 406.994.2661 with any questions.