Save yourself a phone call!! Please follow this checklist (in order) if you are having problems with your ResNet connection before calling the ResNet Help Desk.
1. First of all, WHAT part of your ResNet service is not working?
2. Can you surf/access any web pages? If only one web site is down, the problem most likely lies with that site and not your connection. If you can not get to any web sites, there is a problem with your network connection. If you are using Internet Explorer, you can check the Internet Explorer Setup Guide for configuration help.
3. Are you using a proper Category 5 (Cat5 or "Ethernet") cable to connect your computer to the correct jack? A phone cable will NOT work. If you do not have an ethernet cable, the front desk of each residence hall and the ResNet help desk have ethernet cables available for purchase. We can also test your ethernet cable at the ResNet help desk to make sure it is working properly.
4. Is the ethernet cable plugged into the back of your computer and also into the BLUE or RED jack in the ResNet box on the wall? If you have two blue or red jacks, make sure you are using the correct one. The left-side blue jack corresponds to the top data jack label; the right-side blue jack corresponds to the bottom data jack label. If your ethernet cable was in the wrong jack, please switch it and restart your computer.
5. Do you have a link light on your network card? Where the ethernet cable plugs into your computer, there are usually some small lights that indicate network connectivity. At least one of these lights should be lit up when your computer is turned on and the ethernet cable is connected correctly.
Note: Macintosh users will not have link lights. For Mac OS X, open System Preferences, then the Network pane, and make sure there is a green circle next to the word Ethernet. It should also say connected underneath.
6. If your connection is still not working, please contact the ResNet Helpdesk for assistance. You can call us at (406) 994-1929 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.