Association of Retired Faculty
Association of Retired Faculty
Retiree Privileges/ Courtesies
E-mail -- The montana.edu e-mail account is automatically continued for emeritus faculty until the account has not been used for a period of two years. Other retirees can maintain their e-mail accounts if ITC receives a letter from their department head indicating that ITC should leave the account open. Again, if the account is inactive for two years, it will be closed. Your montana.edu e-mail account will be discontinued the day of your retirement unless one of these arrangements has been previously made with ITC.
Parking on campus -- The MSU Parking Regulations state the following: "Retirees from Montana State University-Bozeman will be entitled to a single vehicle SB permit each year, free of charge. Documentation is to be provided by University Personnel and Payroll to substantiate this status. The permit is issued only to the retiree and is non-transferable." Contact the MSU University Police Department at 7th and Kagy to obtain your permit.
CAT CARD -- Retiree's need an MSU CAT CARD for access to athletic / gym facilities and the library. MSU CAT CARD's or replacements are available at the CAT CARD Office, SUB 107. There is a $15 charge for the card.
Library -- Retiree's retain their MSU library privileges. A valid MSU CAT Card must be presented to check out library materials.
Research -- Retiree's may serve as a Principal Investigator on an externally funded research program if they have a minimum of 0.1 FTE appointment (see guidelines from the Office of Sponsored Programs, Who May Serve as a P.I. )
ASMSU Recreational Facilities/ Fitness Access -- Retirees have access to the gym and recreational facilities at a reduced rate as described on the Recreational Sports/ Fitness web page.
ASMSU Outdoor Recreation Program -- Retirees have access to facilities, equipment rentals, and some programs. A Cat Card is required and in some cases verification of the retiree's status with their home department may be required. For details on services and equipment offered, see the ASMSU Outdoor Recreation Program web page.
Athletic tickets -- At this time there is no special provision for retirees. Retirees who are members of the MSU Alumni Association qualify for alumni discounts which currently are listed on the Alumni Association web site as 20% off season and single game tickets for volleyball, men's basketball and women's basketball.
MUS Wellness Programs -- Retirees may have access to the University System wellness programs, depending upon the MUS Choices program they enroll in. See the MUS Wellness web page for details.
Quoted from the MSU faculty handbook -- Privileges of Emeritus Status :
"Emeritus status shall entail continued campus courtesies including, but not necessarily limited to, the options to:
1. Use library facilities.
2. Become honorary members of the Alumni Association.
3. Receive publications sent to active faculty and members of the Alumni Association.
4. Use recreational facilities at a reduced rate.
5. Participate in academic convocations, commencements, and other academic endeavors.
6. Request that their names be retained in the University catalog, if desired, until their death.
7. Attend, without vote, meetings of their department and college.
8. Act as principal investigator for MSU grant proposals consistent with the policies of the Office of Sponsored programs.
9. Request office, laboratory space, and/or secretarial help, as available. Since the resources of the various departments vary, no university-wide policy can guarantee access. Such accommodations may be extended to emeritus faculty with the understanding that the instructional, research, and service requirements of the tenurable faculty have priority.
Note: Any or all privileges granted emeritus faculty may be rescinded should it become necessary to do so."