Economic Development, Asset and Poverty Dynamics, Risk and Uncertainty, Behavioral Economics
My research focuses on poverty and asset dynamics, and the structural foundations that prevent households from making critical investments necessary for improving livelihoods. I employ both theoretical and empirical methods, often with a focus on risk and uncertainty. Most of my empirical research stems from the design and implementation of highly collaborative international impact evaluations that rigorously seek to evaluate social protection policies and programs designed to protect vulnerable households in developing countries. Through my research, I seek to positively influence policies and programs designed to improve the welfare of poor households in developing countries, with a particular geographic focus on Kenya and Nepal.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Janzen, Sarah A., Nathaniel D. Jensen, and Andrew G. Mude. "Targeted Social Protection in a Pastoralist Economy: Case Study from Kenya" OIE Scientific and Technical Review, 35 (2), August (forthcoming).
Other Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Carter, Michael R., Sarah A. Janzen, and Quentin Stoeffler. (2016). "Can Insurance Help Manage Climate Risk and Food Insecurity? Evidence from the Pastoral Regions of East Africa." In D. Zilberman, L. Lipper, N. McCarthy, S. Asfaw, G. Branca, (Ed.). Climate Smart Agriculture - Building Resilience to Climate Change. Elsevier. (forthcoming, anticipated publication 2017).
- Carter, Michael R. and Sarah A. Janzen. (2015). "Social Protection in the Face of Climate Change: Targeting Principles and Financing Mechanisms." World Bank Policy Research Working Paper 7476.
- Janzen, Sarah A. and Michael R. Carter. (2013). “After the Drought: The Impact of Microinsurance on Consumption Smoothing and Asset Protection.” NBER Working Paper No. 19702. (Under review)
- Ikegami, Munenobu, Michael R. Cater, Christopher B. Barrett, and Sarah Janzen. (2016). "Poverty Traps and the Social Protection Paradox." (Under review as a book chapter)
- Janzen, Sarah A., Nicholas Magnan, Sudhindra Sharma, and William M. Thompson. (2016). "Aspirations Formation and Failure in Rural Nepal." (Under review)
- Janzen, Sarah A. (2015). "Child Labor Measurement: Whom Should We Ask?" (Under review)
- Janzen, Sarah A., Michael R. Carter, and Munenobu Ikegami. (2015). “Asset Insurance Markets and Chronic Poverty.”
- Carter, Michael R. and Sarah A. Janzen. (2012). “Coping with Drought: Assessing the Impact of Livestock Insurance in Kenya,” I4 Index Insurance Innovation Initiative Brief 2012-01.