General Chemical Safety
Chemical Hazard Communications Plan - Guidelines for working with or around chemicals.
Laboratory Chemical Safety
- Chemical Inventory. Labs must complete a chemical inventory using this template.
- Room Hazard Warning Signage. Labs must have a room Hazard Warning Sign with entry requirements, hazard information, and emergency contacts. Upon completing the chemical inventory and the Hazard Warning Sign Request Form, SRM will create and mount entry signage to the lab.
- Chemical Hygiene Plan. All labs must have a Chemical Hygiene Plan using this template. The plan must be located in the lab and all lab staff must read the plan (and sign the roster noting the plan has been read).
- Laboratory Self-Inspection. All lab Principle Investigators or Lab Managers should perform a self-inspection at least once per year using this checklist. Completed checklists should be sent to SRM.
- OSHA Lab Safety Guidelines
- OSHA Known and Suspect Carcinogens
- Chemical Manufacturer/Distributor sites for SDS/MSDS look-up tools
- Handling Ethidium Bromide
- Youth in Laboratories Guidelines
- Glove selection resources
Chemical and Hazardous Waste
The University produces various types of waste. Safety & Risk Mangement assist with and dispose of particular types of waste that should not typically be disposed of through the landfill.
- Universal Waste - The disposal of Batteries, Pesticides, Mercury Containing Equipment, and Lamps.
- Hazardous Waste - The disposal of Hazardous Waste.
- Electronic Waste - The disposal of Electronic Waste.
- Biological Waste - The disposal of Biological Waste.