Montana State University
Staff Senate > Space Management Committee Reports

Montana State University
Staff Senate

Montana Hall Room 106
P.O. Box 171865
Bozeman, MT 59717-1865
(406) 994-6895
staffsenate@montana.edu

Chair:

Shana Wold

Vice Chair:

Dave Court

Program Coordinator:

Joan L. Ford

Button

 

Space Management Committee Reports

(for years prior to FY05, please see Staff Senate meeting Minutes) Meets first friday of the month.


October 5, 2012, met per Bill.  Discussed the new COB and possibilities for Reid Hall once the new COB is built. 

September 7, 2012, met per Bill. Linfield 125 will be re-configured.  The Committee is re-evaluating what is and what its role on campus is. 

June 20, 2012, met per Bill.  Montana Rural Health, ACE, and TEAL (Technology Enabled Active Learning) have moved into Culbertson.  Conversion projects continue on Gaines and Wilson, 2013-14 the Romney renaissance begins, and 2015 Reid will be renovated.  

March 9, 2012, Space Management met.  David Singel made a presentation on research space and future planning

February 3, 2012 met.  AJMJ is reconfiguring some lab space to class room space.  Also being discussed is moving class room scheduling from individual department control to being control by the Registrar’s office. 

October 7, 2011, Space Management met.  Space for the Writing Center upgrade was shifted from the proposed room 115 to 114 in Wilson Hall.  Per the Registrar’s office Wilson 115 has 75% usage, one of the highest used classrooms on campus.  Work is anticipated to begin this summer. 

July 7, 2011, Space Management met. Topics discussed include usage for Romney Hall. ROTC will use Romney 102 and 112 for equipment storage and are still evaluating other uses for the building.

June 3, 2011, Space Management Committee met and discussed usage of Linfield and Romney.  They are considering three potential tenants for Romney, which is not ADA compliant, they are temporary training facilities for faculty, display space for College of Art, and the ROTC program.  Romney has a number of issues and the committee is concerned regarding Romney in the long term.

January 10, 2011, Provost Potvin will be attending the next meeting per Bill.  Association of Retired Faculty will have an office in Culbertson.  The third floor of Culbertson has been proposed for the A.C.E. offices and classrooms.

October 1, 2010, Space Management Committee, met. Item 1: A proposal put forward on behalf of President Cruzado to create a Business Service Center for certain departments on campus in space available in AJMJ was approved by the committee. Item 2: The Association of Retired Faculty was allocated temporary off-campus space and removed from current consideration for on-campus space. Item 3: The ACE Institute made another presentation regarding their need for space in light of increasing program demand. After some discussion it was decided that this was an institutional-level question in terms of priorities and beyond the purview of the Space Management Committee. It was moved that the question be brought to that level. Item 4: It was reported to the Committee that the Creative Arts Library in Cheever Hall would be relocated into the main Renne Library collection in the coming months. The resulting space in Cheever would be used for studio space, freeing up space in Romney Hall. The Romney space would then revert to Space Management control. Item 5: The Committee was invited to review a change to the Building Supervisor Handbook that clarified the role of building supervisors in space management.

August 6, 2010, Space Management Committee, met. The space vacated by the Gallatin College program in Culbertson Hall was the main subject of the meeting. Three groups (KUSM, ACE, and Extension) put forward well-reasoned proposals for using the available space. As we did not have a quorum present, it was moved that a vote be taken by e-mail. The vote was conducted, and the Committee decided to recommend to the President that the available space be allocated to Extension. They are already Culbertson occupants, and the space would require little or no renovation for them to put it into use.

The Registrar’s Office presented information about classroom use. Excluding labs, 70% of MSU’s classrooms are controlled by the Registrar’s Office, and use this year is projected to be heavy.

There was also discussion about space for the office of the Association of Retired Faculty (ARF). One or two rooms may be available in AJM Johnson, but it was determined that discussion on this should be postponed until more information became available.

July 2, 2010, Space Management Committee, met. Discussion centered around a possible space inventory and utilization study for Culbertson Hall following the move of the College of Technology into Hamilton Hall. There was also talk about standardizing procedures for space requests and proposals to the Committee, which will be brought up again at the August meeting.

The Office of International Programs delivered a presentation regarding their need for expanded classroom access. It was determined that the Committee would ask the Registrar’s Office to look into the issue of classroom availability.

Finally, an update was presented regarding the renovation of the elevator and restrooms in Reid Hall to bring them into ADA compliance. The Committee learned that the plans have been approved by the occupants of the space to be modified, and that things would move ahead once funding became available.

As reported by email, June 4, 2010, Bill reported there was a presentation by Montana PBS (Eric Hyyppa) regarding future space needs?  Craig Roloff updated the committee regarding the CoT/two-year program and its possible space needs. It was indicated that space already allocated on the second floor of Hamilton Hall would be the starting point, and that space would be freed up in Culbertson Hall. A review of that space would be coupled with a space inventory which could then serve as a model of sorts for an update of the campus space inventory.  Discussion then turned to space in AJM Johnson Hall and the occupancy limit of Gaines 101. In both instances the committee reached decisions on the matters within their purview.

As reported at the April 23, 2010 Staff Senate meeting,
Bill reported that the committee deferred devoting space at this time to the Gamble student success program and space for the College of Technology.  It is estimated that Hamilton’s first two floors will be ready for occupancy in mid-July.

As reported at the February 24, 2010 Staff Senate meeting
, Bill reported they are reviewing the Facilities map which document where everything is located.  The most recent move on the schedule is Technical Education out of Cheevers to the 4th floor of Reid.

As reported at the January 27, 2010 Staff Senate meeting, Bill reported the College of Business and the College of EHHD have come to an agreement regarding the use of space on the top floor of Reid Hall.  The subject of building closures has come up and the unofficial consensus is that it isn't really a likely area for savings with the possible exception of some of the older family housing units.  Many of the vacated spaces (such as the basement of Traphagen) cannot be reoccupied and may revert to storage space.

October 2, 2009 Space Management Committee Meeting notes as submitted by Bill Van Horn. The majority of the meeting was occupied with Gaines Hall, including a presentation regarding the Earth Science portion of the project. There was much discussion, including a proposal for cost savings that arose from UPBAC that proved to be impractical (at best): closing Gaines Hall as soon as it was finished to save operating costs. In line with the cost savings ideas, it was indicated that the Committee will look in some detail at moves for potential cost savings; to include mothballing or closing space created by moves or new projects (the areas occupied by Earth Science prior to their move to Gaines are a prime example). It was also mentioned that the Committee should be involved in such projects at a much earlier date, as discussion after plans have been made are often of more academic than practical interest. There was minimal discussion of the Animal Bioscience Building, but a detailed breakdown of space made available may be ready for the next meeting. 

September 4, 2009 Space Management Committee Meeting notes as submitted by Bill Van Horn. There were two main topics of discussion: the progress of the Gaines Hall renovation project, including the announcement that the building should be completed by summer 2010, and the large lecture hall possibly before that (March was mentioned); and an update on the Animal Bioscience Building. There was also brief mention of the plans for the first and second floors of Hamilton Hall, which is currently being renovated. Gaines Hall took up most of the time, with some questions being raised about the increase in space being given to Earth Science.

July 24, 2009 The Space Management Committee met on July 24 at the Plant Bioscience Building. The agenda was dominated by discussion of the Animal Bioscience building and a presentation by the Dean of the College of Agriculture regarding planned use for both the new building and existing space currently used by the Ag college. We also toured the construction site, which is well along and should be finished on schedule. Craig Roloff asked for a report regarding space that might be freed by the anticipated staff moves, and it was agreed that a draft version might be presented to the committee for discussion at the September meeting. Given the late date of the July meeting, it was proposed (and later confirmed via e-mail) that there would be no August meeting. Report submitted by Bill Van Horn.

May 1, 2009 The Space Management Committee met on May 1. Our initial discussion centered on an updated list of space that would become available in other campus buildings once the Gaines Hall project was completed. There were some concerns expressed about the accuracy of the space data, some of which was over two years old. The timeline for the Gaines project remains more or less on track, with some moves anticipated for summer 2010 with the main lecture hall possibly opening in that spring. The second part of the meeting consisted of a tour of the Gaines project. Report submitted by Bill Van Horn.

November 7, 2008 The Space Management Committee met on November 7 at 10:00 AM. The first item on the agenda was a presentation by Jo Oudshoorn regarding progress with the implementation of the Ad Astra software package (a process that started roughly five years ago). There was much discussion regarding the impact of common course numbering on the implementation of the system and other issues related to space use. The registrar's office continues to use the scheduling module of Banner with Ad Astra running as a mirror system. Victoria Drummond also presented samples of Ad Astra-generated space utilization reports for the Committee to examine. Oudshoorn will report back to the Committee in January with another progress update.

The space management principles were again discussed and finally approved by the Committee with a handful of small modifications. It is anticipated that these will be published on the web.

Time constraints did not permit the discussion of the results of a utilization survey undertaken for Cheever Hall or campus signs. These items will be carried over to the next meeting.

September 5, 2008 Space Management Committee met on September 5 in the President's Conference Room. The draft of the space management protocols was discussed, with changes suggested by a number of meeting participants. In the end it was agreed that the draft would go back for more revisions and future discussion.

The meeting then shifted to the Hamilton Hall renovations. Following up on a request from a Staff Senate committee representative, I asked about earthquake remediation in this renovation and was informed that they were planning on compliance with the 2006 code. The plan to shift the current ground floor occupants up to the old Admissions space was discussed, along with other issues relating to future space allocations. Renovations will begin with major structural work on the ground floor and proceed up as funds allow. Other minor issues were discussed, and the meeting adjourned.

August 20, 2008 (At Staff Senate meeting) Bill Van Horn reported that Romney Gym space has been reallocated to Architecture, and Health & Human Development. There remains no unallocated space in Hamilton Hall, and renovations are expected to run from January 2009 into 2013 (as funds become available). SMC is also working on guidelines for submitting requests for space.

August 1, 2008 Space Management Committee met in the President's Conference Room in Montana Hall.

Discussion centered on the proposed occupancy plans for Romney Gym. Revised plans were submitted for HHD and two elements of the School of Architecture. The Committee recommended some slight changes to the plan based on code requirements and access needs for the spaces planned for HHD and the Integrated Lighting Lab. These modifications were sent back to the departments concerned. A modification submitted by the ILL went up for e-mail vote by the committee members, and results have not yet been announced.

The upcoming renovations to Hamilton Hall were also discussed, along with a draft of guidance for space requests and the overall philosophy of the Space Management Committee. The committee confirmed that there is no usable vacant space in Hamilton Hall, although some future allocations have been discussed, due to the demands of the floor-by-floor renovation plan. The draft items will be reviewed by Committee members and discussed at the next meeting.

There being no further business, the meeting was dismissed.

July 23, 2008 (at Staff Senate meeting) Bill Van Horn reported that SMC has been focusing mainly on Romney Gym and reallocated space there.

July 23, 2007 - Bob Friedrich reports: The Space Management Utilization Committee will reconvene under a new structure starting in the fall. At such time I will again participate and be providing you with minutes and information. We have not met since last Fall. I believe we will be having our first meeting in September or October.

August 4, 2006 - ATTENDEES: Walter Banziger, Robert Lashaway, Craig Roloff, Sheryl Dettmann, Sheldon McKamey, Tom McCoy, Robert Friedrich, Jim Rimpau, Kathy Brewer, Dave Dooley, Mike Dowling, Marina Little, Yves Idzerda, Mike Vogel, Brad Garnick, Jeff Shada, Russ Katherman.

ITEMS OF DISCUSSION:

  1. Gaines Auditorium Layout
    Mike Dowling presented information regarding the Gaines renovation. The layout for the Gaines lecture hall includes 265 movable, classroom-style seats and fixed tables. The project should be put to bid in January or February of 2007, and construction should take approximately one year. A few trees will likely need to be removed. Walt Banziger said he would check with Jon Ford to see if any of the trees could be relocated.

    Bob Lashaway commented that we might want to revisit the use of south windows in the lecture hall and whether they'd usually need to be blacked out for presentations and to avoid distractions from the nearby sidewalk. Walt Banziger felt there were many situations in which natural light would be an asset for the lecture hall.

    It was noted that an additional section for Chemistry 101 will be needed, since the new lecture hall will have fewer seats than the existing lecture hall.

    There will be ADA access to all levels of Gaines, after renovation.

  2. Gaines Program Reductions
    The committee then discussed the four story portion of the Gaines project. The ground floor will be used by Physics, Biology and Earth Sciences.

    Dave Dooley noted that the lecture preparation area on the ground floor is probably twice as big as is needed (around 600 sq. ft. in the current proposed plan).

    Some programs have agreed to share space in order to make the required 4500 sq. ft. decrease in the building size. Modern Languages and the Center for Student Success will share meeting space. Earth Sciences will share a computer lab so that no separate IT lab will be needed. This computer lab will be controlled by the registrar but Earth Sciences will use it approximately 50% of the time. The current proposed plan shows 12 computer stations, but Dave Dooley thought 20-30 stations would be more appropriate given the room's square footage. Mike Dowling agreed that was likely the case.

    Dave Dooley commented that the design should strive for general purpose science spaces that could be used for disciplines other than Earth Sciences.

    Dave Dooley felt that the Building Committee should provide further justification for the common gathering/work spaces on the 2nd and 3rd floors. He would also like further justification for the Organic Chemistry computer lab (which could possibly be shared as will be the Earth Sciences computer lab), and for separate instructional support centers for Organic Chemistry and Physical Chemistry. He felt that one instructional support center might be sufficient. He also would like further justification for analytical space. One alternative would be to combine space for analytical and physical chemistry.

    Craig Roloff asked whether we would be able to wrap up programmatic concerns with the building layout by the next meeting. It was agreed that might be reasonable and we might be able to sign off on the design in September.

    Dave Dooley would like the SMC to direct the building committee to estimate and include a line item for non-fixed equipment, to make sure that the university has the resources to equip the new space as needed. Fixed equipment has been included in the construction budget, but there's currently only a minimal budget for non-fixed equipment and furniture. Bob Lashaway noted that we would need to determine the requirements for non-fixed equipment and then make tradeoffs in order to accommodate those items in the budget. The equipment needs are likely to be significant.

  3. E-Waste Issues
    Jeff Shada presented information regarding MSU's current process for the disposal of E-Waste. Departments are responsible for removing information from their computers, which are then taken to Pacific Recycling if they can't be reused elsewhere. Pacific Recycling may send the E-Waste to the third world, where it might be recycled in ways that are environmentally harmful. Gallatin County and State Department of Environmental Quality personnel have discouraged MSU from using Pacific Recycling due to this issue. Jeff stressed that Pacific Recycling may also quit accepting E-Waste from us in the future. The current cost to dispose of e-waste via Pacific Recycling is approximately $2500 annually.

    Jeff Shada and Brad Garnick proposed a solution where a ground-level, central surplus disposal site would be established to receive unwanted computing equipment from the departments. Equipment that could be reused would be cleansed of information and donated to an outside entity (such as K-12 school districts). If the equipment is not suitable for reuse, the hard drive will be removed and destroyed and it will be shipped to an approved, domestic, metals recycler. However, they will need additional space and manpower in order to accomplish this. This solution would garner goodwill for MSU (because of the computer donations) and would avoid the risk of public or political complaints about our use of a recycling company that sends e-waste overseas.

    Craig Roloff asked Jeff Shada how the State of Montana handles this issue, but Jeff did not yet have this information. (It has been requested.) Bob Lashaway stated that he believes that UM sells their surplus computers and they may be ending up in the landfill.

    MSU will be co-sponsoring a recycling event on October 21 and is trying to raise funds. They received a $10,000 grant two years ago and were able to recycle 44 tons of e-waste.

    Craig Roloff stated that a proposed policy, procedure and business plan would need to be developed.

  4. Hamilton Hall Spaces
    Hamilton Hall currently has several vacant rooms. Some of the expressed needs for Hamilton include: use to alleviate crowding in Montana Hall, allocate Room 204 to AFROTC, and the use of several offices for Adjunct Faculty. There will also be a need for space for renovation staging in the future. A and E Architects from Missoula has been hired to evaluate the building.

    The Committee felt that the available spaces in Hamilton were too small to help much with Montana Hall decompression (at least until the SUB is renovated and additional Hamilton space is vacated). The Committee agreed that AFROTC should be allowed to use Room 204 and Rooms 212, 213, 213A could be used for Adjunct faculty, with the understanding that relocations will likely be necessary in the future when the building is renovated.

  5. Employee Committee Office Space
    Craig Roloff mentioned that CEPAC needs an office. One proposal was to combine CEPAC office space with the space for adjunct faculty. There was no clear consensus on this issue.
  6. Classroom Scheduling Software
    Bob Lashaway gave an update on the purchase of scheduling software. The software should be ordered in October, and will be implemented in early 2007.

January 6, 2006 - minutes submitted by Bob Friedrich:
Members Present: Chair Roloff; Dooley; McCoy; Yarnell; Vogel; Dettmann; McKamey; Friedrich; Bancroft
Members Absent: Idzerda; Passmore; Brekke
Support Staff Present: Vaniman; Banziger; Lashaway; Rimpau; Ashley
Guests: Steen (Dean CLS and Chair Gaines Renovation Bldg Committee); Tuthill; Young; Sheehan; Dowling (Gaines Project Architect Consultant); Hedglin (Facilities Project Manager); Katherman (State A and E Div)

  1. Miscellaneous Space Reallocations
    Lashaway reported that he had requested an email update from the Dean of the College of Engineering regarding reallocation of ~1650 sf of space liberated by the move of the MDoT/WTI operation from Cobleigh Hall to the VLC Complex. McCoy reported that the moves are complete and that WTI plans an open house for 21Feb06 - watch for advertisement. Also, WTI's new space includes a nice conference/seminar room set up that may be available to campus customers at very reasonable rates.
  2. Gaines Hall - Renovation Project - Space Allocation Program
    Mike Dowling, Dowling Architecture, consultant for the Gaines renovation project, reviewed the architectural space programming work that was completed by the consultants and the Gaines Renovation Project Building Committee in accordance with priorities set by the SMC. At this early stage of the design process, it appears that we may achieve a net-to-gross ratio of 62%-65% overall, which is good for this type of occupancy in an existing facility. At this point, there exists a deficit of available space relative to the overall program of ~2300 sf or about 5% in relation to the net assignable space available.

    Dowling also explained that it would be cost-prohibitive to attempt to renovate the existing lecture hall to remedy code issues (ADA, seismic, etc) and meet capacity requirements (~330 seats). The A and E Division was successful in securing consent of the LRBP Committee Chair and others to pursue replacing the existing lecture hall with a new lecture space.

    Dooley questioned whether the program for Modern Languages included consideration for expanded language instruction resulting from recent federal initiatives (relative to office and instructional spaces), and at what point might we expect the need to add a second language lab to the mix. Dowling confirmed that the programming discussions included consideration for additional instruction in Chinese, Russian, etc., and that the space program included some embedded expansion for some additional instructors. The Dean of CLS and the architect should re-confirm adequacy of the current request.

    Dooley stressed that all of the proposed classrooms (including the proposed ITC Lab) should be designed to be flexible learning environments and not simply 'new' versions of obsolete teaching spaces.

    Discussion ensued related to how the SMC desired to approach the residual space to be liberated by the various moves into a renovated Gaines Hall and the group reached consensus that it would be premature to begin to deal with those issues until the Legislature funds the renovation project. Facilities Planning will report the residual space and solicit SMC direction at that time.

    The design team is moving toward having enough of the design development of the overall project completed in order to provide an informed project estimate by mid-March, which will form the basis for MSU's Long Range Building Program request in the 2007 Legislature.

    The SMC reached consensus that the Project Building Committee should proceed on the basis of the current space program and that the marginal space deficit be solved within the area encompassed by the current building envelope + the proposed new lecture hall space, and that the Building Committee report final space resolution to the SMC in Spring06.

December 5, 2005 - official minutes submitted by Robert Friedrich:
MINUTES OF THE MEETING November 8, 2005 UNIVERSITY SPACE MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE
MEMBERS PRESENT: Roloff, Bancroft, Dooley, Friedrich, Idzerda, McCoy, Vogel, Yarnell
STAFF SUPPORT PRESENT: Banziger, Barrett, Brock, Lashaway, Rimpau, Vaniman
MEMBERS ABSENT: Brekke, Dettmann, Vogel
STAFF SUPPORT ABSENT: Morgan, Nelson
GUESTS: Robert Marley, Dean, College of Engineering Jo Oudshoorn, Director, Divisional Planning and Coordination Deepu Phillips, MSU Student Jim Robison-Cox, Associate Professor, Department of Math Mark Sheehan, Executive Director and CTO, ITC Sara Jayne Steen, Dean, College of Letters and Science George Tuthill, Associate Dean, College of Letters and Science

Meeting began at 11:35 am.

  1. CLASSROOM SCHEDULING SOFTWARE J. Oudshoorn presented an update on the status of the reissuance of the Request for Proposal to obtain classroom scheduling and utilization software:
    • 11/10/05 Issue Request for Proposals
    • 11/30 Questions Due to MSU
    • 12/5 Written Answers Due from MSU
    • 12/30 Responses Due
    • 1/7/06 Evaluation
    • 1/13-14 Product Demonstrations
    • 1/17 Evaluation
    • 1/30 Issue Contract
    The RFP is for Bozeman only and has baseline requirements to meet Space Management Committee needs. Additional options are listed and have separate pricing components. It is unclear at this time whether the software will be available and functioning for use to schedule Fall Semester, 2006.
  2. ENGINEERING MICROFABRICATION LAB Marley announced that the programming for the Micro fabrication Lab had been revised, and now approximates the $3.5 million budget and requires only Rooms 105 and 111 in the EPS Building, with a possibility of expanding into Room 106 at a future date. This proposal still includes requesting that the ITC lab located in RPS Room 110 be absorbed into the use of Roberts Room 111, as previously proposed, so that graduate students may be housed in EPS Room 110.

    Roberts Room 111 and EPS Room 110 comprise 25% of the total current ITC lab space on campus. The current result of sharing EPS Room 110 has been 88% time occupancy by the Computer Science Department and 12% time for ITC open lab use. Marley has told M. Oudshoorn, Computer Science Department Chair, that some Computer Science lab hours will have to be moved to the evening in order to make for daytime hours available for ITC open lab use.

    Motion by Roloff to approve the proposal with the condition that Rimpau and Marley will work out an agreement of computer lab time allocation, or return to this committee if agreement cannot be reached. Second by McCoy. Motion passed unanimously.

  3. GAINES HALL - SPACE REALLOCATION PROCESS Lashaway reviewed his summary of the space reallocation priorities for Gaines Hall as presented in the October meeting of this committee. Dooley then recommended an alternative prioritized list for consideration with the goal of determining who should be involved in design discussions. The differences and similarities between the two lists were discussed and resulted in the following prioritized list:
    1. Building Infrastructure Spaces (e.g., restroom expansions, mech space, etc.), and necessary public spaces (e.g., student informal spaces, vestibules, gathering space, etc.)
    2. Dept of Chemistry & Biochemistry space
    3. Biology 102 Lab(s)
    4. Earth Sciences Instructional Labs & Support Spaces
    5. Dept of Modern Languages (including language lab spaces)
    6. General (Registrar-controlled) Classrooms and ITC Labs
    7. Physics Senior Lab
    8. Center for Student Success
    9. Faculty and GTA office space
    This list was made without regard to the potential square footage needs of each item, and it is expected that space allocation numbers will emerge from discussions between these groups and the renovation project architects. The Gaines Renovation Project Committee will evaluate allocations on a more detailed level and final recommendations for allocation of space will be brought to the Space Management Committee for final approval.

    There being no further business, this meeting was adjourned at 1:37 p.m.

Respectfully submitted by Pamela J. Barrett, AIA Associate Planner, OFS SMC Secretary

Next meeting: January 2006.

November 9, 2005 - official minutes submitted by Robert Friedrich
: MINUTES OF THE MEETING September 9, 2005 UNIVERSITY SPACE MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE
MEMBERS PRESENT: Roloff, Bancroft, Dettman, Dooley, Friedrich, Idzerda, McCoy, Passmore, Vogel, Yarnell
STAFF SUPPORT PRESENT: Barrett, Lashaway, Rimpau, Vaniman
MEMBERS ABSENT: None
STAFF SUPPORT ABSENT: Morgan/Nelson
Meeting began at 10:00 a.m.

ITEM NO. 1- CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS UPDATE
Lashaway and Vaniman gave the following construction project updates:

  1. Chemistry Research Building - Construction by Dick Anderson Construction to begin about September 19th, with some possible mobilization activity the week before. Occupancy of this building (and therefore vacancy of much of Gaines Hall) is expected in August 2007.
  2. Student Facilities Enhancement Projects - SUB/Black Box/H&PE - Bid opening for the SUB and Black Box is scheduled for November 3, 2005. When this project is complete (approximately January, 2008), it will free up space in Hamilton Hall where New Student Services, VOICE and the Women's Center currently reside, as they will all move to the SUB. However, deferred maintenance will have to be performed on Hamilton Hall in between vacancy and reoccupancy. The H&PE renovation is expected to bid in early 2006, and reach construction completion approximately August 2007. This will vacate the locker rooms in Romney Gym.
  3. USDA-ARS Building - A general site west of 11th and the Plant Bioscience Building has been chosen and approved. No existing campus square footage will be vacated as a result of this project.
  4. Parking Garage - Site will be the old Lewis & Clark drill field. This project is expected to go to bid in early 2006 and be completed in December 2006. This project will create a net parking space gain of 320 spaces.
  5. Gaines Hall - The architect selection process is underway for a project funded by the 2006-07 state legislature to design a renovation of the entire building and carry out the renovation of the large lecture hall. The lecture hall renovation is expected to bid in spring, 2006 and be completed early in the fall semester.

ITEM NO. 2 - GAINES HALL - SPACE REALLOCATION PROCESS
Barrett noted that responses to the RFP that was issued by this committee are due 9/30/05, and that a holistic response from Sara Jayne Steen on behalf of the College of Letters and Science can be expected. Proposals from other deans are also anticipated. McCoy pointed out that the space availability in Gaines is an opportunity to decongest Leon Johnson Hall and create better teaching spaces for campus-wide use. Discussion regarding appropriate uses for the Gaines Hall space and use compatibilities, and what effect these might have on the evaluation of RFP responses ensued. It was agreed that the following four items would be considered in numerical order as primary concerns during evaluation of the RFPs:

  1. Expansion of programs to remain in Gaines Hall as needed
  2. Replacement of deficient science-based teaching labs across campus
  3. Creation of additional instructional labs
  4. All other uses

Gaines Hall space reallocation will be the main item on the Space Management Committee agenda for the next meeting, October 7th, 2005.

ITEM NO. 3 - LEON JOHNSON HALL - SPACE REALLOCATION
Dooley distributed a handout showing the 2,334 nasf of space in Leon Johnson Hall that will be vacated as a result of the Chemistry Research Building construction, and noted that five of the seven subject rooms were recently renovated and should require little or no work prior to reoccupancy. No recommendation for backfilling these spaces was assembled yet, having been delayed until reductions in the construction contract scope on the Chemistry Building are completed, as these negotiations may affect moves into the new building. Discussion of possible reoccupancy scenarios ended in the agreement that the deans of L&S and Ag could negotiate and shift allocation of these rooms as deemed practical.

ITEM NO. 4 - CLASSROOM SCHEDULING SOFTWARE
Rimpau gave an update on behalf of the Classroom Scheduling Software RFP Evaluation Committee, stating that the responses received were all over budget, but noting also that the RFP had included requests for additional capabilities of the software and service for all four campuses. A survey into the likelihood of additional funding from the other campuses yielded little financial support. Rimpau stated that the RFP would be revised and reissued, possibly pared down to just the MSU-Bozeman OFS and Registrar needs only. An agenda item for Jo Oudshoorn, RFP Committee Chairperson, to present a status report was requested for the October meeting.

ITEM NO. 5 - SPACE REALLOCATION GUIDELINES
Barrett indicated a concern for the committee's ability to understand the campus-wide space needs when space reallocations are sometimes carried out at the dean and vice president' levels, without needing to come to the Space Management Committee. It was decided that the first item on future agendas would be an opportunity for committee members to report significant space reallocation activity underway on campus. (NOTE: Space reallocations need to be reported to Facilities Services so that the University Facilities Inventory can be updated.)

ITEM NO. 6 - OTHER BUSINESS -
The Space Management Committee calendar of meetings as posted on the website should be changed to reflect academic years, which will then match the terms of committee members. A copy of the schedule will be e-mailed to all committee members with these minutes.

A copy of the Gaines RFP will be e-mailed to all committee members with these minutes, as requested.

There being no further business, this meeting was adjourned at 11:38 a.m.

Respectfully submitted by Pamela J. Barrett, AIA Associate Planner, OFS SMC Secretary

January 7, 2005 - Rose Waldon submitted the following report: Discussions were held regarding:
MATH GRADUATE STUDENTS RELOCATION - Dean Sara Jayne Steen presented a proposal to turn Wilson Hall Room 1-114 from a 70-seat Registrar-controlled classroom to a room dedicated to cubicles for Math graduate students.

It was agreed by consensus that Facilities Planning is to pursue answers to the following questions, for presentation at the February meeting, with hope for resolution on this subject at that time.

Questions:

  1. Can we prepare a list of all the classrooms the Registrar's office has lost - or gained - over the last five years?
  2. Do we have enough classrooms for our current enrollment?
  3. What classroom capacity will we need in the future if we grow to projected enrollment?
  4. What percentage of total campus square footage is classroom space?
OTHER BUSINESS:
Lashaway noted that design of the H and PE Renovation has begun. This is the project allowing us to retire the Romney locker rooms and pool. He is receiving questions about rumors of the proposed future of the Romney Gym Building, and requested permission to send a general communication out that we have no other current plans for the building, but forecast future reuse. This was approved, with the stipulation that the draft be reviewed by Roloff and Dooley.

 

November 5, 2004
Romney Pool/Locker Rooms: Craig Roloff reported that President Gamble approved decommissioning of the Romney pool and the Romney locker rooms, in conjunction with the project to renovate the H and PE building, with the conditions that a faculty member be on the H and PE design team and on the Student Facilities Enhancement Projects (SFEP) finance team, and that the SFEP finance team establishes an equitable fee structure for employees to reflect proportionate cost for their facility and maintenance.

HORIZON ISSUES: The meeting was devoted to initial consideration and chronological prioritization of each horizon issue. Pam Barrett is to provide this committee with an estimated timeline for each prioritized project. Bancroft noted that the items listed below represent the first time the Space Management Committee will be able to be proactive, making these projects an opportunity to establish processes that are inclusive, but not open-ended. Comments on each issue follow, listed in priority where applicable:

  1. Hamilton/Romney/Reid -Hamilton Hall occupancy is an eclectic mixture. Space will be available in 2-3 years, when New Student Services, VOICE, and the Women's Center move to new space in the SUB. The first step in backfilling these and subsequent spaces is to have an inventory of the vacated rooms and square footages available. Use of the basement of Reid Hall as a habitable space ceased about ten years ago as a response to building code issues. It is currently used as a "dumping ground", and the fire marshal repeatedly tells us to clean it out. It is on the Facilities Inventory as being space allocated to Montana Theater Arts. Craig Roloff suggested that a project to make this space code compliant and usable once again as occupiable space might be allocated from the Long Range Building Program, Code/Life Safety funding.
  2. Gaines/Leon Johnson - Inventory Vacant Spaces - Begin space inventory when #1 above is complete.
  3. ROTC - Relocation - Sale of the land they occupy is imminent. Where will ROTC be relocated to, once this occurs? Facilities Planning has already completed an assessment of existing program needs and requirements. Site analysis and prospecting for alternative facilities is needed.
  4. Traphagen and AJM Johnson will require the same treatment as #1 and 2 above, to an extent dependent on the Gaines/Chemistry Research Building outcome.
  5. McCoy noted that standards for utilization of research space has been addressed on a basic outline level, but that it needs to be applied to a specific situation as a next step. Therefore, it may be premature to delve further into this issue at this time.
  6. Pam Barrett relayed an offer from Tom Stump offer to rent out the space above The Habit in the Quads for repeated temporary occupation, noting that it can't be used for student rooms because it can't be separated from access to The Habit.
  7. Classroom utilization and utilization of non-classroom space were noted as being tied to the classroom scheduling software, and therefore put on hold until a report from the RFP committee is available.

 


 

October 1, 2004 - Meeting began with the introduction of Elizabeth Brock, new Facilities Analyst.
Craig Roloff handed out a packet regarding the decommissioning of Romney Swimming Pool and Locker Rooms, noting that the President has signed both recommendations. It was decided that Lashaway should go to CEPAC and do any other necessary follow-up meetings after the decommissionings were announced publicly.
5-YEAR VISION STATEMENT - PHYSICAL INFRASTRUCTURE GOALS
Bob Lashaway presented and explained his assigned task of writing tactical plans to address the Physical Infrastructure Goals of the 5-Year Vision Statement, noting that they are to be submitted to Jim Rimpau in November 2004. The committee then reviewed and commented on Lashaway's draft of tactical plans that pertain to space management. The tactical plans reviewed were:

  1. "Class Scheduling software will schedule, measure and report utilization rates for all classroom space."
  2. "Devise a method to evaluate the assignment and utilization of non-classroom, academic and research space."
  3. "Determine/cite what comprises "˜national standard usage' benchmark - then use Classroom scheduling software to measure for comparison."
  4. "Evaluate/adjust class sizes, offerings, expand teaching day length."
  5. "Build new space to accommodate a major portion of the desired growth employing..."
Ensuing discussion raised questions about the drafting of research metrics for benchmarking and strategies to insure accuracy of the Facilities Inventory. Lashaway will develop the tactical plans further and circulate them to SMC members for discussion at the November meeting.
September 30, 2004 - ROMNEY GYM - LOCKER ROOMS. Introductions were made, and a copy of the OFS Advisory Committee (OFSAC) recommendation to SMC Chairman Roloff to retire and decommission the Romney locker rooms was distributed. Rimpau offered some history on this decision, noting considerable debate in OFSAC over this issue, and the observation that a separate faculty/staff locker room may still be desired by the faculty/staff user group.
CLASSROOM SPACE AND TA OFFICE SPACE. Space requests seem to be increasing, especially to locate/relocate TA'S in Math and ECE. Several suggestions have been made to take Registrar-controlled classrooms off-line to accommodate such needs. Spaces are expected to become available (such as the space in Culbertson inhabited by Project Wet, and space in Hamilton inhabited by New Student Services). Nelson noted that the Registrar has lost eight classrooms in the last thirteen years. Dooley wants this committee to look at the utilization of instructional spaces with the focus of determining what actions are in the best interest of the instructional mission of the university. Roloff suggested that the next meeting of the Space Management Committee be used to discussed only the "horizon issues" demonstrated on the agenda, and determine the relative urgency of each issue (such as relocating ROTC).
OTHER BUSINESS. It is requested that hereafter, all parties to a proposal that come before the Space Management Committee have time to prepare for the meeting, even if it means postponing and issue for a month.

 

 

The Space Management Committee met on Friday, March 12, 2004 and discussed the following issues:

Romney Gym Space Utilization Study:  Bruce Garcia, Facilities, presented results gathered to date in the Romney space utilization study.   Some of the notable findings were:  low classroom utilization; low swimming  pool utilization (Young At Heart and Tots Swim);  only bathrooms in the building are in locker rooms; and difference between "nonscheduled" and unused hours (although both indicate poor utilization.   The cost of maintenance of the Romney Pool and money received from Young at Heart and Tots Swim to not justify keeping the pool.  The committee decided to submit a letter to President Gamble suggesting the pool be closed permanently after May 10th.  The committee tabled any further discussion on the future of the area until after the student driven renovation vote is carried out.

Marsh Lab Relocation - Entomology Department

Entomology has been allocated more space in Marsh Lab with an expectation that this will actually reduce renovation expenditures.  Graduate students will be given Lab Room 21, decreasing the need to construct graduate carrel space, and one fume hood room will be maintained, negating the need for hoods in three of the Entomology labs.  Construction is not expected to be complete for this part of the Marsh projects until late November, 2004.

  With regard to the Seed Certification Department move to Marsh Modular #1,
- a middle section of the building is proposed that will provide coffee bar and restroom facilities, as well as security from one half of the building to the other.
- because of the damage to the building due to frozen pipes, part of the renovation work will be covered by the insurance settlement. 
- the other half of the building is still unallocated.  Dooley will contact facilities regarding a possible tenant for that half, in order to maximize the renovation cost savings provided by the insurance settlement.
- renovation for the Seed Analysis and Seed Certification programs is anticipated to be complete in May, 2004.

  WEBCAST
Bruce Garcia announced that OFS Planning will be sponsoring a web conference entitled “Data-Driven Space Planning”.  The webcast will be held 11:00 am to 1:00 pm on April 19, 2004 .  Location will be announced later.

EPS - ECE Clean Room: 
Pam Barrett noted that Facilities Planning had been asked by COE to obtain data regarding computer lab usage in EPS 110 for the next meeting, in conjunction with this project.    Dave Dooley reminded the committee that the space allocated for the ECE Clean Room is determined, and no longer an issue for discussion.  The computer room lost by this renovation can be absorbed by the computer lab at EPS second floor.

MINUTES OF THE SPACE MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE - April 4, 2003

Members Present: Acord; Bancroft; Carroll; Dooley; Idzerda; Waldon; Woodward

Staff Support:  Lashaway, Morgan, Nelson, Rimpau, Vaniman

Members Absent:         Roloff; Bancroft; Krnavek; McCoy; Stump

Guests in Attendance:   Bruce Garcia, Facilities Analyst, OFS

                                    Lisa Armitage, Alison Lau, Trevor Blythe, I&ME Project Team

                                   

ITEM NO. 1 – COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIP CHANGES

Barrett stated that all membership positions had been filled and are current, with the exception of a replacement for McClure from Faculty Council, and a replacement or re-instatement of Waldon for CEPAC.  The request for a member has already been sent to CEPAC, and will be sent to Faculty Council before the next meeting.

ITEM NO. 2 – SHERRICK HALL RENOVATION

Acord gave a brief synopsis of the Nursing program growth that necessitates a facilities expansion.  She stated that the program will progress from a two-year to a four-year starting in Fall, 2004.  After working on preliminary programming with OFS Planning, the College of Nursing has determined that the expanding demands and consequential price tag have caused current pause and rethink.  Lashaway noted that the next step would be to secure the funding to hire an architect to hone in the scope (which is beyond the workload ability of the OFS resources).  He also noted that the Legislative request was set at $6 million, and we’ll need to update the amount at the 2005 Session.  However, if the money is in-hand, we could get approval to design under the $6 million authority.  Dooley asked if he could expect to see the proposal and action plan soon.  Acord noted that the interim needs for the College of Nursing consist of additional classroom time for a group of 16 students.  Carroll noted that a plant fund could be started now for preplanning, and small pieces of state funding might be used for this.  He suggested Acord work it out with the Provost and Tom Gibson.

ITEM NO. 3 – I&ME STUDENT PROJECT

The I&ME students collected a survey that had been e-mailed to committee members last week.  They also handed out a second survey regarding the intangible benefits of education, which was completed and returned during this same meeting. 

ITEM NO. 4 – MARSH LAB

Barrett noted that no proposals had been received to date.  The committee was reminded that the final due date is April 15th, so presentation of any proposals would be at the next meeting.  Dooley noted that he and McCoy had a proposal in mind, and was encouraged to submit it to the committee.  Several points were reinforced:  that the Department of Agriculture does not have any guarantee to the space, but “enhanced consideration”; that proposals regarding the move of departments not required to be on central campus would be looked upon favorably; that some solutions would put dominos into motion regarding the secondary move of other departments.  The Analytical Lab was discussed briefly; when they moved onto campus, they were intentionally put on the periphery, and should possibly be moved further out again.  Dooley noted that it is possible we will get proposals that will be unpopular with affected individuals, and therefore probably do not want to have them at the screening session that will be next month’s meeting.  It was determined that the vice presidents would prescreen relevant proposals to see if they qualify for consideration.  Dooley also offered to draft a set of principles that he considers important in reviewing these proposals.  In addition, it was decided that the principles will be evaluation in accordance with the university principles as outlined in UPBAC FY’04 priorities. 

The backfilling process was discussed.  It was determined that the vice presidents can decide to forward backfilling of space issues to this committee, but that the committee could also recommend a backfilling plan to occupy the spaces vacated by the successful proposal.  It is anticipated that these second tier moves will more likely be expansion of programs, and end the dominos.

ITEM NO. 5 – HERRICK 313

Vaniman and Barrett presented that although this classroom is listed by OFS and the Registrar as having 65 seats, there are in fact only 48 fixed seats and 7 movable seats in this room.  This proposal will provide more total classroom seating than is in the current building.  It was reiterated that the College of Health and Human Development is requesting permission from this committee to decrease the size of a classroom in order to make two additional offices for a grant to counsel students.  Dooley suggested this proposal be accepted, with the condition that all classrooms in Herrick become university (Registrar)-controlled).  Nelson agreed.  Dooley’s proposal was passed by consensus.

ITEM NO. 6 – CLASSROOM UTILIZATION STUDY

Garcia presented a review of the Series 25 scheduling software.  He noted that there were two pieces to the package; Schedule 25, which is for scheduling classes, and Resource 25, which is for scheduling conferences.  He discussed the software with two universities that are using it – University of Montana and University of Wyoming, and found that both are pleased with the software.  In his research, Garcia found this software to be “the industry standard”.  Rimpau noted that he had used this software at Pullman and felt it made classroom scheduling and utilization more efficient.  Nelson proposed this classroom scheduling software be bought by Facilities Services, as OFS could use it even more than the Registrar.  Garcia noted that lots of training will be required.  It was decided that the next step is for Facilities Planning and the Registrar to review the sales presentation, assemble a cost estimate, and check with Idaho, who is also using the software.  Estimates for proceeding with a limited package as well as a full package are requested.

Note:  The packet of information regarding this software that was handed out at this meeting will be forwarded to all members who were unable to attend.

The SMC adjourned at 11:36 am.

Respectfully submitted,

Pamela J. Barrett

Architect/Associate Planner

Secretary for the Space Management Committee

 


 

 

Since installing the counter, you are the 22272nd person to visit this page!