DRAFT -- Staff Senate Meeting Minutes -- DRAFT
Wednesday, October 16, 2013
9:00 – 11:00 a.m.
|x||Phyllis Bock||x||Ron Brekke, Benefits||x||Dave Court, Budget||a||Ariel Donohue, Pres Comm|
|x||Diane Dorgan, O&E||x||Jill Flores, CSAC||x||Jacob Hahn, PTAC||a||Mandy Hansen, UFPB|
|x||Mike Hansen, Parking Appeals||x||Deb Harrison||a||Julie Heard, Benefits||x||Kerri Marx, Benefits|
|a||Wendy McCarty, Personnel||x||Linda McDonald||a||Merry Paceley, Personnel||x||Roy Pino|
|x||Joe Robbins||x||Linda Roberts||a||Amy Sadosky, Parking Appeals||x||Sylvia Sparkman|
|a||Owen (O.P.) Taylor||a||Justin van Almelo, Facilities||x||Bill Van Horn, Space||a||Eric Wold, Rec Sports|
|x||Shana Wold, Planning & Univ|
Attendance Code Key: X = Attended A = Apologies for Absence Staff, Joan Ford, was present.
- Call to Order. The meeting was called to order by chair, Shana Wold. Guests Chelsea Schmidt and Donna Kelly were present. Shana noted a change to the Agenda inviting Chelsea to speak first.
- Approval of Minutes. Minute of September 18, 2013 were approved.
- Guest Speaker. Chelsea Schmidt, Assistant Director, Business & Community Relations, University – MSU’s charitable giving campaign running from October 28 to November 1. MSU has been working with United Way for 30 years and Montana Shares for the past 11 years. Montana Shares is a coop of non-profits such as the Montana Cancer Network, Boys and Girls Club, Heart of the Valley, etc. United Way runs after school programs called kidsLINK, promote health, education, and financial stability. Giving is easy you can contribute cash, check, credit card, or payroll deduction. 2012 giving totaled $22k and 2011 total giving was $12. MSU does not match charitable giving. Chelsea noted that U of M’s faculty and staff gave over $100k last year. Any questions contact Chelsea x7884.
- Guest Speaker. Donna Kelly, Pure Gold – handed out a document that she will be talking about with Professional Council. Initially Pure Gold to be recognition of community members, students, faculty, and staff on all four campuses. The program has changed. The Pure Gold Committee met once at its inception about three years ago and has not met since which means members no longer know each other. A group of four folks will be meeting with Tracy Ellig and/or President Cruzado to recommend potential changes to the program. She was seeking input from the Senators. Discussion was held.
- Committee Reports
- Association of Shared Governance Leaders – Staff Senate Chair – met on 10/14 and discussed the “Years of Service” Award idea.
- Budget Council – Dave Court – met on 9/25 and talked about using F&A funds to fund short falls. Discussion items include: development of a mission statement that will also link in the strategic plan, training for Budget Council members on finance, fund accounting, and how the dollars are used including the development of FAQ’s to be placed on the Budget Council web page.
- Campus Sustainability Advisory Council – Jill Flores – met 9/23; raised our concerns regarding the facility vehicles they doing research and will give feedback soon, in conjunction with U of M they are trying to develop a sustainability certificate with Montana Institute on Ecosystems to facility it. The Council is drafting a letter to the President regarding the location of the new dorm.
- Facilities Services Advisory – Justin van Almelo – no report.
- Fitness Center Oversight Committee & Recreation Sports Advisory Board – Eric Wold – met, discussion included: “walk while you work” stations, location of the new dorm, getting new turnstiles, and ongoing complaints regarding not having enough lockers.
- MSU Benefits & IUBC – Ron Brekke, Julie Heard and Kerri Marx – met 10/3 & 4; discussion included: Wellness is focusing on standing and walking more vs. sitting, continues to work on a tier system delayed implementation, and WellCheck is 11/5 & 8.
- Outreach & Engagement Council – Diane Dorgan – met 9/25; they are finalizing a Celebrating Engagement Monthly estimated to start in November or December, also defining an Excellence and Outreach award for faculty and staff.
- Parking & Transportation Advisory – Jacob Hahn – no meeting.
- Planning Council –Shana Wold – met 10/15; they are dividing into work groups to define metrics for each section of the Strategic Plan. Shana is on the “Stewardship” work group.
- President’s Commission on the Status of University Women – Ariel Donohue – met 9/23; discussion included: they are developing an award nominations are due 10/31 (will email office details for distribution); discussed policies included Sick Leave Donation pool, Ariel is part of the communications sub-committee.
- Space Management – Bill Van Horn – met 10/4; discussion included: Adastra, the online classroom management system being evaluated is having a security problem; implementation has delayed. The Committee approved a draft of a space management policy document.
- University Facilities Planning – Mandy Hansen – met 10/8 to discuss dorm location sites.
- University Council – Staff Senate Chair – met 10/2; University Wide Information/Announcements - YEAR of Engaged Leadership Recognition. New Items: MSU Stay-at-Work/Return-to-Work Policy passed. Old Items: Environmental Health & Safety Policy. Informational Items: Dining Hall Renovation & Housing Update
Charitable Giving Drive (October 28 - November 1, 2013), Parent & Family Weekend Update; YEAR of Engaged Leadership talk on Museum of the Rockies' Sister Museums.
- Other Committee reports
- Old Business
- Training Task Force –Justin van Almelo (Chair), Dave Court (Co-Chair), Julie Heard, Bill Van Horn, and Eric Wold – will meet with Betsy Webb, Professional Development Manager on 10/26.
- Employee Recognition Task Force – Bill Van Horn (Chair), Phyllis Bock, Jill Flores, Diane Heck, Donna Kelly, Merry Paceley, and Joan Ford – still working on criteria.
- Years of Service Ceremony – Shana Wold, Dave Court, and Joan Ford – met with Professional Council to jointly discuss criteria such as starting with 5 years of service and then in 5 year increments, defined as benefits eligible, assure data is accurate, President has suggested starting on Founder’s Day in February. Bill Van Horn and Kerri Marx volunteered to join this committee and Dave request to be released from this committee.
- Get to know your fellow Senators – Ariel Donohue, Kerri Marx, and O.P. Taylor – moved to next meeting.
- Information Items
- President Cruzado and Provost will be coming to the hour of the 12/18 Staff Senate meeting. Refreshments will be provided
- Motion to Adjourn. The meeting was adjourned at 11:05 a.m.
Next Meeting: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 at 9:00 a.m., Wilson Hall, Bradley conference room 2-257