Staff Senate Meeting Minutes
Wednesday, February 19, 2014
9:00 – 11:00 a.m.
Wilson Hall, Bradley Conference Room 2-257
|x||Phyllis Bock||x||Ron Brekke, Benefits||x||Dave Court, Budget||x||Ariel Donohue, Pres Comm|
|a||Diane Dorgan, O&E||x||Jill Flores, CSAC||x||Jacob Hahn, PTAC||a||Mandy Hansen, UFPB|
|x||Mike Hansen, Parking Appeals||x||Deb Harrison||x||Julie Heard, Benefits||x||Kerri Marx, Benefits|
|x||Wendy McCarty, Personnel||x||Linda McDonald||x||Merry Paceley, Personnel||x||Roy Pino|
|x||Joe Robbins||a||Amy Sadosky, Parking Appeals||x||Sylvia Sparkman||x||Justin van Almelo, Facilities|
|x||Bill Van Horn, Space||x||Deb Wilke||a||Eric Wold, Rec Sports||a||Shana Wold, Planning & Univ|
Attendance Code Key: X = Attended A = Apologies for Absence Staff, Joan Ford, was present.
-- DRAFT -- -- DRAFT -- -- DRAFT -- -- DRAFT --
- Call to Order. The meeting was called to order by vice chair, David Court. Deb Wilke joined Staff Senate replacing Linda Roberts who recently retired.
- Approval of Minutes. Minutes of January 15, 2014 was approved.
- Guest Speaker – Leslie Taylor, Legal Counsel, described proposed amendments to the university’s Discrimination Policy and Procedures. MSU used the Montana Department of Education and Department of Justice as a blueprint for the changes to MSU’s policy. University Council will be voting on the changes at its 3/5 meeting, Leslie invited anyone wishing to do so to make comments prior to this date.
- Guest Speaker – Susan Alt, Employee & Labor Relations Manager, followed up on proposed changes to the Grievance policy. University Council will be voting on the changes at its 3/5 meeting, Susan invited anyone wishing to do so to make comments prior to this date.
- Committee Reports
- Association of Shared Governance Leaders – no meeting.
- Budget Council – Dave Court – met 1/28 to address general operation expenses related to income from outside sales, facilities, and administrative costs and other self-supporting activities. The group is comparing last year’s budget to current and assuring goals and objectives tie to the Strategic Plan.
- Campus Sustainability Advisory Council – Jill Flores – met 2/12 they are deciding how and where to invest funds in sustainability efforts on campus.
- Facilities Services Advisory – Justin van Almelo – February meeting was cancelled.
- Fitness Center Oversight Committee & Recreation Sports Advisory Board – Eric Wold – Dave read Eric’s report. Old turnstiles were replaced with optical card readers at the front of the rec center. Some bugs were still being resolved but the reception for the change has been positive. Student groups are pursuing an indoor turf field. Act classes (Activity classes for credit) are very successfully and enrollments and demand for new programming are increasing.
- MSU Benefits & IUBC – Ron Brekke, Julie Heard and Kerri Marx – Incentive for WellCheck (fall 2013 or spring 2014) participation will offer; $250 for employee & $250 adult spouse, not to exceed $500 per household. Money will be deposited in a FSA (Flexible Spending Account). Under ACA, our plan can no longer exempt cost-sharing from counting toward total in-network maximum out-of-pocket (OOP) limits. WellCheck schedule for Bozeman is March 25 to 28 and April 29-30. See the Staff Senate Committee Reports page for more detail.
- Outreach & Engagement Council – Diane Dorgan – no update.
- Parking & Transportation Advisory – Jacob Hahn – did not meet.
- Planning Council –Shana Wold – Dave read Shana’s report. The January meeting continued to work on Strategic Plan metrics.
- President’s Commission on the Status of University Women – Ariel Donohue – will meet tomorrow and the committee continues to highlighting achievements on their web page.
- Space Management – Bill Van Horn – did not meet.
- University Facilities Planning – Mandy Hansen – no update.
- University Council – Staff Senate Chair – HR Grievance Policy for union-exempt employees is on-line for comment at http://www.montana.edu/legalcounsel/proposedPolicies.html, a Montana Equal Pay Summit is scheduled on campus 04/01 from 8-5 in SUB Ballrooms, and Julie Heard presented her Pecha Kucha PowerPoint on Leadership.
- Other Committee reports
- Old Business
- Years of Service Ceremony – Shana Wold, Dave Court, and Joan Ford – emailed Dennis Defa on 2/3 for an update on how the process was going. He and his team continue to work on data gathering details.
- 360 Review concern - Shana emailed President Cruzado to see if she had the chance to speak with Martha about this issue on 2/3, but have yet to receive a response.
- Culture of Excellence Task Force - Julie Heard provided a worksheet and talked about the goals of the TF. The team defined MSU Service Philosophy as “We enrich lives | By building a supportive environment | That inspires excellence | In everything we do.” Additionally they identified four service standards: Safety, Courtesy, Reliability, and Competence. HR will continue to refine and define these standards over time.
- New Business
- Dave showed an old poster, designed in 2007 or so, and an example of a revision. He requested a follow up email from the Staff Senate office and requested comments be directed to the office.
- Dave announced that Phyllis Bock will represent staff on new committee - Work Life Integration Take Force.
- Information Items
- President Cruzado and Provost Potvin will attend the 3/19 Staff Senate meeting.
- Justin will attend the Emergency Management Table Top Exercise on 2/21 and report on 3/19.
- HR Employee Recognition Awards, winners will be announced at a reception on Tuesday 4/8 at 8:30 a.m. in SUB Ballrooms (changed from Thursday, 4/3 at 1:30). Eighteen individuals have been nominated.
- Getting to know you fellow Senators –
- Jill Flores, Culinary Assistant Manager, RUFLS, received her Bachelor’s degree from MSU, worked as a student during her studies, and continues to work at MSU. For the past 5 years she has worked in Food Services in Miller Dining Hall. She is currently studying for her Master’s degree.
- Merry Paceley, Administrative Associate IV, LRES, moved to Montana in 1998 and started working at MSU in 1999. She splits her time between two different states, is a trained victim advocate, and supports a number of social service groups in the Bozeman area.
- Bill Van Horn, Administrative Assistant, Aerospace AFROTC, has been with MSU since 2000. He is a Montana native with roots back to 1866 and was recently elected MPEA chapter president. He is the sole support to an Air Force commander and provides advising, training, and support to 60-80 ROTC students participating in a wide-range of MSU degree programs.
- Justin reported that Professional Development and Training has provided training to 810 individuals in 41 sessions since the beginning of FY14.
- Justin announced that ITC is launching the login simplification process using NET ID starting now with test groups and going campus-wide after spring break. A contest between 2/20 and 3/21, will give away six tablets iPad Air and Windows Surface all you have to do is log in (http://www.montana.edu/loginsimplification/) and use your NET ID.
- Deb Wilke discussed current communications between Staff Senate and fellow classified employees.
- Joan announced that O.P. Taylor’s job duties have changed and he has resigned his seat on the Senate.
- Motion to Adjourn. The meeting was adjourned at 10:45 a.m.
Next Meeting: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 at 9:00 a.m., SUB 168