Staff Senate Meeting Minutes
Wednesday, March 18, 2015
9:00 – 11:00 a.m. in SUB 168
|X||Andrew Board||X||Ron Brekke, Benefits||A||Dave Clark, CSAC||X||Dave Court, Budget|
|X||Ariel Donohue, Parking Appeals||X||Diane Dorgan, O&E||A||Marie Doubrava||X||Sandra Fiegi|
|A||Jacob Hahn, PTAC||A||Deb Harrison||X||Keely Holmes, Planning||X||Neil Jorgensen, UFPB|
|X||Rita Larby||X||Peggy Lehmann, Tobacco||X||Kerri Marx, Benefits||X||Wendy McCarty, Personnel|
|A||Merry Paceley, Personnel||X||Roy Pino||X||Joe Robbins||X||Tracy Simonson, Benefits|
|X||Sylvia Sparkman, PCoSUW, Park App||X||Justin van Almelo, Facilities||X||Bill Van Horn, Space||X||Deb Wilke|
|A||Shana Wold, Marketing|
-- DRAFT -- -- DRAFT -- -- DRAFT -- -- DRAFT --
- Call to Order. The meeting was called to order by chair, Dave Court. Guest speakers, Chris Kearns, VP for Student Success and guest, Lisa Pino were present. An employee recognition update was added to the agenda.
- Approval of Minutes. Minutes of February 18, 2015 was approved.
- Guest Speakers. Chris Kearns, VP for Student Success, noted that his goal for the Division of Student Success includes three simple things: getting students in, though, and out of the education process. Getting students in starts with enrollment, he cited that Admission Office receives around 500k application and accepts 2500 freshmen. Other services include: the Registrar’s office, Financial Aid, Student Wellness via the Student Health Service and Psychological Services, Student Life identifying behavior and decisions made by students and finally Student Success the students goal achievements. The students challenge is to receive depth of understanding through their major, breadth through portable skills, and self-knowledge. Chris stated if he had the funding he would like incoming students to take a strength planning survey that would help identify the top seven strengths each student has and match those strengths with their educational goals. Graduation rates at MSU are 27% in four years, 50% in six years, statistics that need to be improved.
- Committee Reports
- Association of Shared Governance Leaders – Dave Court – meeting cancelled.
- Budget Council – Dave Court – meeting cancelled.
- Campus Sustainability Advisory Council – Dave Clark– no report.
- Facilities Advisory Committee – Justin van Almelo – no report.
- MSU Benefits & IUBC – Ron Brekke, Kerri Marx, and Tracy Simonson – IUBC met 2/26 discussed projected rate trends and history of the MSU Benefits Plan, the 2015/2016 CHOICES timeline and Wellness Programs. For details link to: http://www.montana.edu/staffsenate/CommitteeReports/ctteerep-benefits.html
- NAIC/CoE Expansion-Parking Subcommittee - Deb Wilke – Staff Senate has the opportunity to send a parking solution letter to the subcommittee. The office was asked to draft a response and circulate to Senators. FY16-17 parking rates are being considered.
- NAIC/CoE Expansion-Presentation Hall Subcommittee - Rita Larby – did not meet.
- Outreach & Engagement Council – Diane Dorgan – met and a mini‐grant proposal was forwarded to the President.
- Parking & Transportation Advisory Board – Jacob Hahn – no report.
- Planning Council – Keely Holmes – met and a Strategic Plan survey is in progress.
- President’s Commission on the Status of University Women – Sylvia Sparkman – did not meet
- Recreational Sports and Fitness Advisory Board – Marie Doubrava – no update.
- Space Management Committee – Bill Van Horn – meeting cancelled.
- Tobacco Free Task Force – Peggy Lehmann – met with Director for background information, compliance challenges, and ways to get the word out about MSU’s Tobacco Free campus status.
- University Facilities Planning Board – Neil Jorgensen – met 3/12 discussion included on Renne Library/ITC Replacement Generator: proposed 4 locations and whether to enclose the generator. Approved acceptance of an Abraham Lincoln sculpture and forwarded proposal to President Cruzado. Location has not been determined.
- University Council – Staff Senate Chair – met 3/4 and approved the Code of Student Conduct. Presentations included the Extended University online bachelor’s degree completion program in liberal studies and a progress report on the stewardship goal of the Strategic Plan.
- Other Committee reports
- Old Business
- Staff involvement on Dean/Dept. Head Reviews – Dave Court – will be meeting with the President and Provost on March 19th.
- New Business
- Officer Nominations Committee – Dave requested anyone interested in participating on this committee contact the office. Voting will be at the May meeting.
- Information Items
- General elections will start soon for Off Campus, Service/Maintenance, Skilled Craft, and Technical/Paraprofessional categories.
- Employee Recognition – the “Excellence in Service & MSU Employees of the Year” ceremony will be Thursday, April 16th from 9-11 a.m. Program changes include a newly designed pin, linking recognition to MSU’s Service Excellence philosophy, and inclusion of faculty in the awards criteria.
- Dave Court will be leaving MSU in April. Diane Dorgan will be interim chair until her appointment at the April 15th meeting. A new vice chair will need to be elected for a term of April through August.
- Public Comment.
- Motion to Adjourn. The meeting was adjourned at 11:00 a.m.
Next Meeting: Wednesday, April 15 in SUB 168