Staff Senate Meeting Minutes
Wednesday, April 15, 2015
9:00 – 11:00 a.m. in SUB 168
||Ron Brekke, Benefits
||Dave Clark, CSAC
||Ariel Donohue, Parking Appeals
||Diane Dorgan, O&E
||Jacob Hahn, PTAC
||Keely Holmes, Planning
||Neil Jorgensen, UFPB
||Peggy Lehmann, Tobacco
||Kerri Marx, Benefits
||Wendy McCarty, Personnel
||Tracy Simonson, Benefits
||Sylvia Sparkman, PCoSUW, Park App
||Justin van Almelo, Facilities
||Bill Van Horn, Space
||Shana Wold, Marketing
Attendance Code Key: X = Attended A = Apologies for Absence Staff, Joan Ford, was present.
-- DRAFT -- -- DRAFT -- -- DRAFT -- -- DRAFT --
- Call to Order. The meeting was called to order by vice chair, Diane Dorgan. Guest, Lisa Pino, was present.
- Senator’s confirmed Diane as chair replacing Dave Court who left MSU employment April 1st.
- Senator’s voted to replace the open vice chair position, term from April to August, with Bill Van Horn.
- Approval of Minutes. Minutes of March 18, 2015 was approved.
- Committee Reports
- Association of Shared Governance Leaders – Joan Ford – ASGL members met newly elected ASMSU Vice President Levi Birky, ASMSU President, Gwynn Simeniuk was in class. Levi talked about the ASMSU platform for 2015-2016.
- Budget Council – Vacant – no update.
- Campus Sustainability Advisory Council – Dave Clark– the committee is pursuing a Sustainability Certificate program as an addendum to a student’s degree program.
- Facilities Advisory Committee – Justin van Almelo – meeting cancelled.
- MSU Benefits & IUBC – Ron Brekke, Kerri Marx, and Tracy Simonson – the CHOICES booklet has been mailed to all employees, he noted there are changes to the FLEX saving account, adding a Tax Advantage account see the CHOICES booklet for a full description, he also noted that, although not finalized by the State Legislators, the employee match will most likely remain the same in 2015-2016.
- NAIC/CoE Expansion-Parking Subcommittee - Deb Wilke – the parking garage proposal will be moved forward for a vote at the May Board of Regents meeting.
- NAIC/CoE Expansion-Presentation Hall Subcommittee - Rita Larby – did not meet.
- Outreach & Engagement Council – Diane Dorgan – meeting next week. Staff Senate is advertising to replace representation on this Council.
- Parking & Transportation Advisory Board – Jacob Hahn – the Board also discussed the NAIC parking garage. He noted that in addition to the parking garage, the Regents will also be reviewing and approving a change to the parking fee structure.
- Planning Council – Keely Holmes – met 4/25; guest speaker Brett Walker made a CORE presentation, they continue to prioritize the budget, and are considering the APLU Innovation and Economic Prosperity designation which would help with funding.
- President’s Commission on the Status of University Women – Sylvia Sparkman – is attending a retreat today.
- Recreational Sports and Fitness Advisory Board – Marie Doubrava – no update.
- Space Management Committee – Bill Van Horn – meeting cancelled.
- Tobacco Free Task Force – Peggy Lehmann – committee has not starting meeting.
- University Facilities Planning Board – Neil Jorgensen – met and are working on a Public Art procedure and application process. Assuming State funding is approved that would fund renovation to Romney Hall a ROTC storage building will be constructed and EHHD labs will be moved, the Board approved signage for Jabs Hall.
- University Council – Staff Senate Chair – met 4/1; the meeting included presentations on CHOICES and a Strategic Plan Update: Engagement.
- Other Committees
- Old Business
- Staff involvement on Dean/Dept. Head Reviews – Joan Ford – met with the President and Provost on 3/19. Per the Provost a proposed change has been submitted to Faculty Senate. Faculty are reviewing and providing input to put forward a fair and equitable change. The draft is being re-formulated.
- Officer Nominations Committee – Sandra Fiegi, Sylvia Sparkman and Joan Ford – contacted Staff Senate members and received one volunteer each for the chair and vice chair positions. Members were encouraged to contact the office if they wished to volunteer to be included on the ballot. Senator’s will vote at the May meeting.
- Information Items
- General elections are under way for membership as the Off Campus, Service/Maintenance, Skilled Craft, and Technical/Paraprofessional representatives.
- Employee Recognition – the “Excellence in Service & MSU Employees of the Year” ceremony will be Thursday, April 16th from 9-11 a.m. Program changes include a newly designed pin, linking recognition to MSU’s Service Excellence philosophy, and inclusion of faculty in the awards criteria. Several members requested the office RSVP on their behalf to the ceremony.
- Public Comment.
- Motion to Adjourn. The meeting was adjourned at 11:00 a.m.
Next Meeting: Wednesday, May 20, in SUB 168