Staff Senate Meeting Minutes
Wednesday, September 17, 2014
9:00 – 11:00 a.m.
|X||Andrew Board||X||Ron Brekke, Benefits||X||Dave Court, Budget||X||Ariel Donohue, Parking Appeals|
|X||Diane Dorgan, O&E||X||Marie Doubrava||X||Sandra Fiegi||A||Jacob Hahn, PTAC|
|X||Deb Harrison||X||Keely Holmes, Planning||X||Neil Jorgensen, UFPB||X||Rita Larby|
|X||Kerri Marx, Benefits||X||Wendy McCarty, Personnel||A||Merry Paceley, Personnel||A||Roy Pino|
|X||Joe Robbins||A||Amy Sadosky, Parking Appeals||X||Tracy Simonson, Benefits||X||Sylvia Sparkman|
|X||Justin van Almelo, Facilities||A||Bill Van Horn, Space||X||Deb Wilke||X||Shana Wold, Marketing|
-- DRAFT -- -- DRAFT -- -- DRAFT -- -- DRAFT --
- Call to Order. The meeting was called to order by chair, Dave Court.
- Approval of Minutes. Minutes of August 20, 2014 were approved with one correction.
- Guest Speaker - Marci Torres, Director of Health Promotions, spoke on the topic of Alcohol & Sexual Assault Prevention. Incoming students take a self-evaluation survey on their habits. The survey reported that 57% claim to be non-drinkers verses the national average of 69%. Health Promotions goal is to educate about the consequences of risky behavior as well as identifying at risk students curbing behaviors and encouraging retention. She noted after the Friday 9/26 volleyball tournament Health Promotions is sponsoring an outdoor movie night and providing non-alcoholic beverages. Marci noted there is a perception that 80 to 90% of the attendees at football games are drinking which is not true. Her plan is to make recommendations to President Cruzado on ways to change perceptions and encourage non-drinking activities.
- Committee Reports
- Association of Shared Governance Leaders – Dave Court – will meet 10/7
- Budget Council – Dave Court – met 8/26 discussed FY15 goals, collaborating with Planning Council and the Strategic Plan, and starting the 3rd year of strategic funds budget model and evaluating their outcomes.
- Campus Sustainability Advisory Council – Vacant – Interviewing candidates.
- Facilities Services Advisory – Justin van Almelo – no report.
- MSU Benefits & IUBC – Ron Brekke, Kerri Marx, and Tracy Simonson – IUBC will be meeting in Helena 10/2 & 3, introduced Tracy as the new representative to MSU Benefits, MUS Wellness Incentive Program is underway. Ron was asked to check on a concern regarding information tracking on the MUS limeade.com web page.
- Outreach & Engagement Council – Diane Dorgan – an email was forwarded to Senate members encouraging staff to self-nominate for the upcoming O&E award.
- Parking & Transportation Advisory – Jacob Hahn – no report. Dave noted that parking continues to be a “hot topic” among students and employees. Any suggestions, issues or concerns should be brought to the attention of Kurt Blunck, Manager of Parking Services.
- Planning Council – Keely Holmes – met 9/16 discussed the Strategic Plan year 2 progress report and the NWCCU Mid Cycle Accreditation report with Ron Larsen and began identifying preliminary priorities.
- President’s Commission on the Status of University Women – Sylvia Sparkman – no report.
- Recreational Sports and Fitness Advisory Board – Marie Doubrava – no report.
- Space Management – Bill Van Horn – 9/5
- University Facilities Planning – Neil Jorgensen – met and discussed the Headwaters Complex, installing a back-up generator for ITC’s data center near Renne Library, moving to interior construction on Jabs Hall, and Western Transportation Institute is encouraging increasing bicycle parking.
- University Council – Staff Senate Chair – met 9/3, informational Items included New Freshman Housing Complex and ADA, Online Learning and Technology
- Other Committee reports – two new committees with start meeting soon
- College of Engineering Expansion (Norm Asbjornson Innovation Center) Parking Garage Sub-Committee - Deb Wilke
- (NAIC) Presentation Hall Sub-Committee - Rita Larby
- Old Business
- Years of Service Ceremony – Shana Wold, Dave Court, Kerri Marx, and Joan Ford –The ceremony is scheduled for Friday, October 10th from 2 to 4 p.m. in the SUB Ballrooms. The YOS awards ceremony moved from 10/3 to 10/10 to accommodate the President’s schedule. The team is getting down to details – lighting, music,photography, food, room layout, flow of award presentation, certificates, master of ceremony, etc. Getting good data continues to be a challenge. Volunteers are need both before the event as well as on the day of the event.
- New Business.
- Staff Involvement in Dean and Department Head Reviews – the issue will be raised at the next President and Provost meeting with Senate leadership.
- Information Items
- Tom Stump, Director Auxiliary Services, will the guest speaker at the 11/15 Senate meeting to give a presentation on the New Freshman Housing Complex.
- Staff Senate was approached by the City of Bozeman for a meeting. Senators agreed this may be best served as a whole campus meeting verses meeting with constituent groups and have them speak with University Communications.
- Public Comment. No public comment.
- Motion to Adjourn. The meeting was adjourned at 10:00 a.m.
Next Meeting: Wednesday, October 15, 2014, Reid 415