Staff Senate Meeting Minutes
Wednesday, February 18, 2015
9:00 – 11:00 a.m. in SUB 168
|X||Andrew Board||X||Ron Brekke, Benefits||A||Dave Clark, CSAC||X||Dave Court, Budget|
|X||Ariel Donohue, Parking Appeals||X||Diane Dorgan, O&E||A||Marie Doubrava||X||Sandra Fiegi|
|A||Jacob Hahn, PTAC||A||Deb Harrison||X||Keely Holmes, Planning||X||Neil Jorgensen, UFPB|
|X||Rita Larby||X||Peggy Lehmann, Tobacco||X||Kerri Marx, Benefits||X||Wendy McCarty, Personnel|
|A||Merry Paceley, Personnel||X||Roy Pino||X||Joe Robbins||X||Tracy Simonson, Benefits|
|X||Sylvia Sparkman, PCoSUW, Park App||X||Justin van Almelo, Facilities||X||Bill Van Horn, Space||X||Deb Wilke|
|A||Shana Wold, Marketing|
-- DRAFT -- -- DRAFT -- -- DRAFT -- -- DRAFT --
- Call to Order. The meeting was called to order by chair, Dave Court. Guest speakers, Lisa Buss, Benefits Manager HR, Cathy Hasenpflug, Director HR Operations, Tom Hoffman, Lead Systems Analyst ITC, and Liza Heer, Computer Software Engineer ITC, and guest, Lisa Pino were present.
- Introduction. Dave introduced new Staff Senate member and representative on the Tobacco Free Task Force, Peggy Lehmann a Research Assistance in the Microbiology & Immunology department.
- Approval of Minutes. Minutes of January 21, 2015 was approved.
- Guest Speakers. Lisa Buss, Cathy Hasenpflug, Tom Hoffman, and Liza Heer presented the new CHOICES software interface. The new interface places all current benefits being received by an employee in the current year next to pull down menus for re-enrollment options for the coming year on a single page. Each CHOICES section show the employee’s selection and acceptance as employees work through all the sections. Prior to the deadline employees may reopen and edit their CHOICES. Support labs will be made available during the enrollment period. The software auto generates emails to employees verifying their status in the CHOICES process. Senators were encouraged to contact Kerri Marx if they would like to help test this new software interface.
- Committee Reports
- Association of Shared Governance Leaders – Dave Court – met 2/5 and discussed constituent activities.
- Budget Council – Dave Court – discussion included FY budget process and performance funding.
- Campus Sustainability Advisory Council – Dave Clark– no report.
- Facilities Advisory Committee – Justin van Almelo – did not meet.
- MSU Benefits & IUBC – Ron Brekke, Kerri Marx, and Tracy Simonson – IUBC met 1/22. Commissioner of Higher Education, Clay Christian was present to discuss the IUBC process and procedures. Financial results show the reserves are in good condition, the group discussed the impact of increased pricing for generic drugs, and the impact of the proposed Plan design changes due to ACA (Affordable Care Act). For more detailed information link to: http://www.montana.edu/staffsenate/CommitteeReports/ctteerep-benefits.html
- NAIC/CoE Expansion-Parking Subcommittee - Deb Wilke – did not meet.
- NAIC/CoE Expansion-Presentation Hall Subcommittee - Rita Larby – did not meet.
- Outreach & Engagement Council – Diane Dorgan – met 1/20 and discussed APLU IEP update and SCOPE – COGENT project. New business included a draft mini‐grant proposal and how to tell the O&E story.
- Parking & Transportation Advisory Board – Jacob Hahn – no report.
- Planning Council – Keely Holmes – did not meet.
- President’s Commission on the Status of University Women – Sylvia Sparkman – did not meet
- Recreational Sports and Fitness Advisory Board – Marie Doubrava – met 2/3 notes will be forwarded via email.
- Space Management Committee – Bill Van Horn – met 2/2 discussed three items: looking for location to provide compliance training, continued discussion regarding relocating the Army and Air Force ROTC storage facilities, and a procedural review of the online space management form.
- Tobacco Free Task Force – Peggy Lehmann – have not schedule their first meeting.
- University Facilities Planning Board – Neil Jorgensen – met 1/27 and 2/10. Recommended Campus Outdoor Furniture and Jabs Hall Outdoor Furniture. Information items included Chalking on Sidewalks and Miller Dining Hall Update. Discussions continue on Renne Library Spaces & Technology Renovation, External Building Signage Policy, Seminar Materials, Master Planning Issues, Revisit and Update Policies, and HBO5 Amendment for Lab Facility.
- University Council – Staff Senate Chair – met 2/4 the Student Conduct Code comment period was extended until 3/1 and there was a presentation on Strategic Plan: Discovery.
- Other Committee reports
- Old Business
- Staff involvement on Dean/Dept. Head Reviews – Dave Court – no update.
- New Business
- Performance Funding – Senate leadership and a number of committees have been meeting and discussing the Legislatures proposed increase, up to 10%, of state funding to the University System. The state provides roughly 30% of MUS’s budget. Montana’s Universities and Colleges have been working with OCHE to determine what are appropriate and measureable metrics are to define what is successful performance and how will funds be distributed. Although a complicated topic, understanding the potential impact of this kind of funding is important to understand.
- Information Items
- Chris Kearns, VP for Student Success, will be the guest speaker at the 3/18 meeting.
- Public Comment.
- The HR Talent Management Update group is not working on pay frequency in this go round. The Senate will see if it can be part of the next Updates agenda.
- Senators enjoyed and had positive comments regarding the Jabs Hall tour.
- Motion to Adjourn. The meeting was adjourned at 11:00 a.m.
Next Meeting: Wednesday, March 18, SUB 168