MSU-Bozeman Classified Employees Personnel Advisory Committee Minutes
January 14, 1998
- Present: Jill Allison, John Batson, Carol Bittinger, Patti Ford, Kathy Griffith, Darcy, Halpin,
Lloyd Hansen, Connie Hupka, Dianne Kramarich, Cec Mann, Helen McFaul, John Recktenwald,
Sharon Townsend, Nancy Topel
- Absent: Diane Allen, Patty Gunderson, Pam Lingenfelter, Sheron McIlhattan, Karla Mills,
Bluette Phillips, Dawn Watkins
I. Old Business
- Carol B. asked about the the correct names for UFPUB and Traffic Appeals/Parking Committee so
that the minutes will reflect the correct names. She will correct the last minutes after talking with Sheron.
- The minutes were approved as changed.
II. New Business
Jan Bosch (Foundation) needed someone to represent CEPAC on the Faculty/Staff Campaign board.
Connie recommended Diane Kramarich.
- LRPB (Cec Mann) -No report, since they haven't met.
- Design Review Board (Sheron McIlhattan) - During the last meeting they set up
committees to work on the mission statement. Sheron is on two of them: Historic Preservation
and Environmental Issues. Others are: Campus Pedestrian Network, Positive Open Space
and Environmental Issues, Outdoor Signage, Lighting, Seating, "Street" Furniture, etc.,
Parking and Automotive Traffic, Long Range Planning, Handicap Issues, and Maintenance & Upkeep.
They did not meet over the holidays as scheduled. The next meeting will be Jan 21.
- Traffic Appeals (Jill Allison)-No report, since they haven't met yet. Jill said she would meet with
the other members on CEPAC before the next meeting.
- Affirmative Action (Darcy Halpin) -No report, since they haven't met.
- Benefits Committee (Pam Lingenfelter, Patty Gunderson & John Batson) - No report..
- Employee Wellness (Diane Allen) - No report.
- President's Special Review Committee (Kathy Griffith) - Kathy reported that they have met with the Deans
and Vice Presidents and will continue to gather information to get a handle on the budget.
MSU receives approximately 68 million in state appropriated funds with total expenditures
being aprroximately 212 million. They are scheduled to meet the first of February with the
University Budget Committee. Connie gave some additional background information on
designated and auxillary accounts. The committee will make recommendations to President
There was a general discussion on some of the problems experienced on campus.
John R. brought up the example of problems with contractor accountability on new
buildings on campus.
III. Members Concerns
- Carol brought up the concern that classified employees are not automatically entitled
to have an email account at MSU. She will check into the policy for faculty and professional staff.
- Carol also asked about whether the policy that new classified employess have to buy a One Card in order
to check out books in the library also applies to faculty and professional staff. She will
check on the policy.
- Carol also put in a request that committee representatives have a short written report to leave
with the secretary in order to make the process of reporting the minutes more efficient and accurate.
- There was alot of discussion concerning the possibility of a strike by one of the unions. Lloyd
addressed the issue of employees refusing to cross the picket line and being in violation of contract
with their own union. There were mixed feelings about the letter sent to MSU employees by Employee
Relations. Some people felt that the letter was ambiguous and threatening, others thought it was ok.
The custodial staff was concerned that they didn't even receive the letter.
- Darcy mentioned the Committee vs Council issue. She will plan to attend the next Faculty
Council meeting. Connie will attend the next University Governance Council meeting and will discuss
more at the next CEPAC meeting.
- Patti Ford applauded Blue Cross/Blue Shield for their rapid response in paying claims and
asked John B. to carry that message forward to the Benefits comittee. Others agreed they have been
pleased with the service as well.
- Connie will be in Great Falls for the 2/11 meeting. All agreed to stay on schedule for
the meeting, so she will ask Sheron to serve as chair. If she is not able, Darcy agreed to fill in.
It will be 9:00 - 11:00 in the President's Conference room.
Carol Bittinger (temporarily sitting in for Dawn)