> Staff Senate Home
December 10, 2008
- Voting Members:
- Kevin Thane, Chair
- Jeannette Radcliffe, Chair-elect
- Bill Van Horn
- Diane Helgeson
- Non-voting Members:
- Shana Wold
- Sheri Curtis
- Michael Dean
- Ron Brekke
- Beth Littlefield
- Carol Shannon (from 10:00 am)
- Others present:
- Sandy Tetro
Phone contact was not established with Deb Harrison.
Apologies for Absence
Minutes of the Last Meeting
Bill Van Horn moved and Diane Helgeson seconded, that the Minutes of the November 25, 2008 meeting be approved. The motion passed unanimously.
Staff Senate-nominated committee representatives have scheduled agenda time at each meeting to personally report on their committee work. Staff Senate believes that maximum communication greatly benefits the staff and campus, and so maintains on-line reporting as well as personal contact.
- Staffing Change On Friday, December 5, Kevin and Jeannette met with Craig Roloff regarding the Administrative Assistant’s position. Historically this position has been funded on soft money, but during the meeting, Craig stated he would include the funding in his base budget. It will still be a .5 FTE position and we talked about the flexibility of the work schedule. We also decided that advertising off campus as well as on would “cast a wider net” and avoid having to readvertise. The position is an Administrative Assistant III. Kevin will submit a strategic pay request and hope to have it posted by the end of December.
- Recruitment Outreach Pilot No further steps have been taken regarding this initiative. Given the current state of the economy and the fact that most MSU positions are filled, we feel it is best to shift the focus from recruitment to retention. We heard that the Job Service is considering not having their job fair for the same reason.
- Staff Senate By Laws Review Most of the meeting was spent going over the bylaws for any final additions, corrections, or changes. An updated draft of the changes will be distributed prior to the next meeting.
Benefits Committee - Ron Brekke met with the benefits committee representatives in Helena regarding the prescription drug program. There is a proposal to change from PBMs to more a more self governed system (PBA) It will give employees more control, resulting in cost savings to employees. January 2010 is when it is slated to be implemented by the State. Depending on outcome, they are hoping this will result in more options for procuring prescriptions for consumers.
Streamline (UPBAC Subcommittee) - Kevin Thane reported that the subcommittee unanimously agreed that MSU should support funding for Streamline, however a funding source has not been identified. The amount is between $150 and $200 thousand. When they discussed how that would happen, Kevin argued against surcharging the hangtags. Another idea was to spread the cost among all University departments to fund it. Kevin suggested the funds should come from energy savings generated by the Sustainability initiative. The argument against Sustainability funds is that the savings have not yet been realized. Kevin believes Streamline should be an “energy budget line item”. Members of Staff Senate supported Kevin’s views.
Provost-Sponsored Classified Luncheon Steering Committee Beth Littlefield will send a request to Kevin to have Sarah replaced on this committee so he can send an announcement to the listserv.
Any Other Business
- The next Staff Senate meeting will be January 28, 2009.
- President Gamble is slated to attend Staff Senate's January meeting, with the awareness that the legislature will be in session and this arrangement may be subject to rescheduling.
In response to a question from Shana Wold starting wage rates were discussed.
Bill Van Horn moved, Diane Helgeson seconded, and the meeting adjourned at 10:48 am.
NEXT MEETING: January 28TH IN SUB 236 (was 274), AT 9:00AM
Since installing the counter, you are the 1st person to visit this page!