Staff Senate Meeting Minutes
DRAFT -- Staff Senate Meeting Minute November 15, 2017, SUB 168 -- DRAFT
|X||Andrew Board, Skilled Craft||X||Ron Brekke, IUBC||A||Deb Chiolero, Class Prof, O&E|
|X||Dave Clark, CSAC||A||Keely Holmes, Planning, Pub Art||X||Milana Lazetich, Tech/Para, Space|
|X||Peggy Lehmann, Tobacco||X||Kasia Maison, Class Professional||A||Kerri Marx, MSU Benefits|
|X||Candace Mastel, PTAC||X||Wendy McCarty, Personnel||X||Dagny Mest, Secr/Clerical|
|X||Wendy Minster, Off Campus||X||Jennifer Nesbitt, RecSports||X||Ramie Pederson, MSU Benefits|
|X||David Reese, Budget Council||X||Sarah Rieger, MSU Benefits||X||Joe Robbins, Skilled Craft|
|X||Dorie Seymour, Secr/Clerical||X||Sylvia Sparkman, PCoSUW, Park Appl||X||Glen Steinhoff, UFPB|
|A||Raine Terrill, Service Maintenance||X||Lyle Williams, Tech/Para|
|Attendance Code Key: X=Attended, A=Apologies for Absence||Staff, Joan Ford, was present|
- The Staff Senate meeting was called to order.
- Guest speaker – Sara King, Human Resources, outlined forthcoming changes to the MUS Retirement Plan. Individuals effected by the changes have been mailed. A general announcement to all employees will be sent 12/1. Changes will be in effect 2/1/18.
- Minutes from the October 18, 2017 meeting was approved.
- Board of Regents meeting today from 4 to 5 pm with Staff Senate & Professional Council members. Senators were invited to participate if they are able. Discussion was held.
- New Business
- Parking Appeals Board seat opening with the retirement of Sylvia Sparkman at the end of the year. Glen Steinhoff volunteered to fill the seat. Senators present unanimously voted for Glen. He will be joining Jane Crawford on the Board.
- Old Business
- Accreditation documentation included MSU data, those statistics were provided by the Office of Planning and Analysis. Senators suggested invite Chris Fastnow to either the January or February Senate meeting to help all understand how and where of the data was gathered and reported.
- Committee Reports
- ASGL Association of Shared Governance Leaders (academic year) – Staff Senate chair – did not meet. It was suggested that the other leaders other than ASMSU continue to schedule and meet.
- Budget Council – David Reese – did not meet. Current budget information available at http://www.mus.edu/data/operating_budgets/FY18/FY18-OperatingBudgets.asp.
- CSAC Campus Sustainability Advisory Council – Dave Clark – no update.
- IUBC and MSU Benefits Committee – Ron Brekke, Kerri Marx, Ramie Pederson, and Sarah Rieger – FY18 changes to the plan on hold awaiting the State Legislature finalizing budget cuts.
- O&E Outreach & Engagement Council – Deb Chiolero – no update.
- PTAC Parking & Transportation Advisory Committee – Candace Mastel – met and discussed option for using the funds raised from the parking fee increase and transportation options ride sharing, busses, work schedule shifting, etc.
- Planning Council – Keely Holmes – met and heard from a consultant from Springboard on writing the 2019 Strategic Plan.
- President’s Commission on the State of University Women – Sylvia Sparkman – did not meet.
- Recreational Sports and Fitness Advisory Board (academic year) – Jennifer Nesbitt – met and discussed maintenance issues.
- Space Management Committee – Milana Lazetich – met and approved space location requests and discussed the Space policy.
- Tobacco Free Task Force – Peggy Lehmann – show proposed signage and distributed we’re tobacco free t-shirts.
- UFPB University Facilities Planning Board – Glen Steinhoff – did not meet.
- UFPB Public Art Committee – Keely Holmes – met and heard a student presentation regarding garage art and discussed a proposed LED art display.
- University Council – Staff Senate chair – met 11/1 a new item was proposed and approved to change was a name change for Extended University; an information items the MSU Stole for Commencement was shared; the Fall Institutional Report was made and in the Knowing Your MSU segment the Museum of the Rockies was featured.
- Other Committee reports:
- HR Policy Task Force – Sylvia Sparkman – did not meet.
- MUSSA Montana University Systems Staff Association – Sylvia Sparkman, Ramie Pederson, Kasia Maison, and Candace Mastel –Ramie highlighted items from the survey: 1) Health benefits. We have representation on Benefits committee. 2) Working well as a team. How can Staff Senate help with a community team spirit. 3) Fell well informed about matters affecting Staff. This is an area that Senate does and needs to continue to take ownership and help improve. Ideas? 4) OCHE Fostering environment of trust scored a lot of neutral responses. How could Staff Senate help staff understand OCHE and BOR? We have opportunity to learn this afternoon. 5) Opportunities for advancement. Staff Scholarship and education on tuition waivers and professional development. How can we help in this area? 6) Say in decisions scored well. This is our area. Staff Senate and Its Mission Staff Senate is the voice of the classified staff. 7) Understanding the role of Staff Senate had a lot of neutral responses. We need to communicate our mission and role better. We need to get more staff involved in providing input to Staff Senate.
- Informational Items
- MSU’s 125th anniversary begins on Feb. 16, 2018, celebrating the 2/16 1893 establishment of the Agricultural College of the State of Montana, now MSU.
- Professional Council meetings at http://www.montana.edu/professionalcouncil/
- Updates and other business
- Public Comment – none.
- The meeting adjourned at 10:55 am.
Next Meeting: Wednesday, December 20, 9-11 am in SUB 168