Climate Action Plan (CAP) - Updated: December 7, 2011
- Provide a university framework to coordinate & advise sustainability efforts on a campus-wide basis.
- Advise the President regarding national, regional, institutional and community-based sustainability efforts.
- Explore and propose methods to fund campus sustainability initiatives and improvements. Review, analyze and determine funding support for sustainability proposals, including performance measures, progress reporting, etc.
- Sponsor and guide the development of policies to increase and promote sustainability. As noted in the MSU Vision Statement - sponsor “a comprehensive Campus Sustainability/Energy Policy that includes guidelines for building energy conservation, new construction criteria, water conservation, transportation, purchasing, and recycling, with the goal of minimizing our impact on the environment…and…develop and implement an educational outreach program…and…oversee a baseline inventory of campus energy consumption, bench-marked against national and international standards, and establish meaningful timelines and goals to optimize consumption.
- Guide the development of a comprehensive plan (including proposed funding mechanisms and institutional structure to guide implementation) to address the Governor’s 20x10 Initiative, the Presidents Climate Commitment, and other initiatives as appropriate.
- Guide the development of a set of sustainability measures/indicators for the campus.
- Guide the development of a communication strategy to promote, publicize and raise awareness of MSU’s sustainability efforts, benefits and successes among campus, community and statewide constituents.
- Solicit and support the involvement of students and student organizations relative to sustainability efforts undertaken by the Committee.
- Advocate strategic planning for continued sustainability to MSU governance groups.
- Guide coordination with university system and state government sustainability efforts.
A complete list of members and additional information about the council can be found on the Office of Planning and Analysis website.