Employment and Volunteer Opportunities
The Office of Sustainability has many opportunities for students. From volunteering to employment, we love working with students who are passionate about sustainability efforts at MSU.
Below are opportunities available right now for students.
Hiring for a Recycling Associate
Recycling associates are paid student positions under the MSU Office of Sustainability. As a recycling associate, you are responsible for picking up and emptying recycling around campus efficiently and safely.
Work schedules for student workers are based off their school schedule and available hours. Please list all availability on the application, as you will be working with other students, so we can see where there is overlap and decide which times are best for everyone.
Most employees work from 4-6 hours per week. Recycling on campus varies throughout the year, so expect to work more during times of influx in recycling (move in, move out, etc.).
- Drive around campus to collect recyclables in designated buildings and sites according to the weekly pick-up schedule.
- Record amount of recycling.
- Communicate clearly and effectively with Sustainability Director and fellow co-workers.
- Actively look for ways to improve efficiency and effectiveness of the Recycling Program.
- Other duties that are asked of you, i.e., special pick-ups, working football games, etc.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving history.
- Available to work between the hours of 8:00 am- 5:00 pm, Mon- Fri.
- Comfortable with getting clothes dirty.
- Proactive attitude.
- Ability to work with a team, and independently.
- Previous experience performing physical labor
If you are interested in getting involved in sustainability, but not so much as an employee, visit our Sustainable Clubs page.
We always need volunteers- especially in the fall. We recycle for all of the MSU home football games (Go Cats!) and we could use your help. Shoot us an email with your name and what you'd like to help out with.