MSU has a campus-wide license for MATLAB, a technical computing language software program.
The license enables students, faculty and staff to download the software directly from the MathWorks site at no additional cost, for use either on or off campus. See the drop-down section below for download instructions and other information.
MATLAB is a high-performance language for technical computing. It integrates computation, visualization, and programming in an easy-to-use environment where problems and solutions are expressed in familiar mathematical notation. Typical uses include:
- Math and computation
- Algorithm development
- Modeling, simulation, and prototyping
- Data analysis, exploration, and visualization
- Scientific and engineering graphics
- Application development, including Graphical User Interface building
Millions of engineers and scientists worldwide use MATLAB to analyze and design the systems and products. MATLAB is in automobile active safety systems, interplanetary spacecraft, health monitoring devices, smart power grids, and LTE cellular networks. It is used for machine learning, signal processing, image processing, computer vision, communications, computational finance, control design, robotics, and much more.
Faculty, staff and students may download MATLAB on university-owned machines and/or personally owned devices.
Download MATLAB by following the instructions below:
1. Go to MathWorks and Create a MathWorks account.
- Go to MathWorks
- Click United States when/if prompted for country. A Create MathWorks account window opens.
- Enter your montana.edu address (@montana.edu, or @student.montana.edu or @msu.montana.edu) for Email Address
Important: you must use a montana.edu email address.
- Complete remaining fields and click the Create button.
An account activation message will be sent to your email address. This may take a few minutes. If you do not receive the email within 2 hours, check your junk mail folder.
2. Click the Verify Email Address link in the email. The MathWorks site will open.
Finish creating your MathWorks profile.
Complete the form (choose your own username and password) and enter the appropriate activation key:
4. Click the Create button.
Upon successful account creation, your account profile window will open.
5. Click on the blue Download button (with down arrow) located in the row under the My Software heading. (Or visit the MATLAB Downloads page whenever you are ready to download.) The download button will be named the current version of the software, for example Download R2016a.
6. Click the correct installer for your operating system.
7. Go to your downloads folder on your computer (or whatever folder to which you downloaded the file) and click the downloaded file to unzip.
8. Open the unzipped file (it will be in the same folder as the zip file you downloaded).
9. Click Install file.
When prompted with: “InstallForMacOSX.app” is an application downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it?
10. Click open.
11. If prompted, enter your computer’s Username and Password and click OK.
The MathWorks Installer opens:
1. Select Log in with a MathWorks Account and click Next button.
2. Select yes to agree to license terms and then click Next button.
3. Enter the email address you used to create your MathWorks account and the password.
4. Click the Next button.
5. To install in the Applications folder on your computer (don’t change anything), click the Next button or click the Browse button to select a different location to install MATLAB.
6. In the Select products to install window, leave all products selected and click the Next button.
7. Click the Install button.
Contact the UIT Service Desk for assistance with downloading and/or installing MATLAB.
Visit: MSU Library Commons
If you download MATLAB using the links provided here, you'll be prompted to update your license each year around the end of July.
To update, follow these steps:
- Open MATLAB.
- Click the down arrow next to Help, located in the Resources section of the tool strip.
- Go to the Licensing submenu.
- Select Update Current Licenses.
- Follow the prompts and restart MATLAB when directed.
For detailed instructions visit Update MATLAB License.
Training Resources & Support
These resources include tutorials, how-to videos, webinars, code examples and much more.