Connect to Knox from a Windows 10 or 8 computer
Connect to your Knox folder by mapping a network drive that connects to your folder automatically whenever you sign into your computer.
These instructions are for computers running Windows 10 or 8 that are connecting to Knox folders with SMB3 enabled.
IMPORTANT: SMB3 must be enabled on your folder for the instructions below to work.
- On Windows 10, open File Explorer by clicking the folder icon in the task bar or by pressing the Windows logo key + E on your keyboard.
On Windows 8, to open the File Explorer, click the desktop tile, then double-click Computer.
Proceed to number 2, the instructions for 10 and 8 are the same.
- Select This PC from the left pane. Then, on the Computer tab in the ribbon, click Map network drive.
- Select a drive letter from the Drive dropdown. (Any available letter will work)
See image below for steps 3 & 4.
- Type the path to your Knox folder in the Folder field as shown here:
\\knox.montana.edu\MyFolder - replacing MyFolder with the real name of your Knox folder.
- Check the Reconnect at sign-in check box if you’d like to automatically connect each time you sign-in to computer.
- Click Finish.
You will now be able to access your Knox folder from the File Explorer. A link to the mapped drive will appear in left pane as shown below.