Carly Urban's Research
Published and Forthcoming Papers
The Effects of High School Personal Finance Education Policies on Financial Behaviors (with Maximilian Schmeiser, J. Michael Collins, and Alexandra Brown) Forthcoming at Economics of Education Review, 2018.
- FEDS Working Paper here: August 2014
- Supplemental Information here
- Data on State Mandates
- Press Coverage: TIME, NY Daily News, Business Wire, Market Watch, Albuquerque Business First, Wall Street Journal, Huffington Post, Montana State University Press Release, badcrdit.org, CDA Press.com, NBC News, Market Watch (2), New York Times, Edelman Financial
- FINRA Investor Education Foundation issue brief here
The Effects of a Foreclosure Moratorium on Loan Repayment Behaviors (with J. Michael Collins) Regional Science and Urban Economics 2018, 68: 78-83.
College Financing Choices and Academic Performance (with Christiana Stoddard and Maximilian Schmeiser) Forthcoming at Journal of Consumer Affairs, 2018
Perspectives on Evaluation in Financial Education: Landscape, Issues, and Studies (with William Walstad, Carlos J. Asarta, Elizabeth Breitbach, William Bosshardt, Julie Heath, Barbara O'Neill, Jamie Wagner, and Jing Jian Xiao) **second author, Journal of Economic Education 2017, 48(2): 93-112.
- National Endowment for Financial Education White Paper version here.
Does Negative Advertising Affect Giving Behavior? Evidence from Campaign Contributions(with Sarah Niebler) Journal of Public Economics 2017, 146: 15-26.
Does Salient Student Loan Information Affect College Students' Academic and Borrowing Behavior? (with Christiana Stoddard and Maximilian Schmeiser) Economics of Education Review 2017, 56(C): 95-109.
- Press Coverage: Bloomberg News, CNN Money, Desert News, Montana State University Press Release, Montana State University News, Pew Charitable Trusts, Market Watch
Student Loan Information Provision and Academic Choices (with Maximilian Schmeiser and Christiana Stoddard) American Economic Review Papers & Proceedings, May 2016, 106(5): 324-328.
Workplace Financial Education and Retirement Behavior (with J. Michael Collins) Economic Inquiry 2016, 54(4): 1860-1872.
Negative Advertising and Political Competition (with Amit Gandhi and Daniela Iorio) Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization 2016, 32(3): 433-477.
- Winner of the 2016 Oliver E. Williamson Prize for Best Article in Law, Economics and Organization
- Demographic Data Sources: here
- LSE US Centre Coverage, Chicago Tribune, Bloomberg, Northwest Herald, Hartford Courant
Local Economic Growth from Primary Election Spending (with Rebecca Lessem) The Economic Journal 2016, 126(597): 2147-2172.
Servicer Heterogeneity: Do Servicing Practices Influence Loan Cure Rates? (with Carolina Reid and J. Michael Collins) Housing Policy Debate 2017, 27(1): 1-27.
Mandatory Mediation and the Renegotiation of Mortgage Contracts (with J. Michael Collins) The Economic Journal, December 2015, 125(589): 1734-1763.
Sustaining Homeownership After Delinquency: The Effectiveness of Loan Modifications by Race and Ethnicity (with J. Michael Collins and Carolina Reid) Cityscape: A Journal of Policy Development and Research, November 2015, 17(1)
The Dark Side of Sunshine: Regulatory Oversight and Status Quo Bias (with J. Michael Collins) Journal of Economics, Behavior, and Organization, November 2014, 107-B: 470-486
Is Smoking Inferior? Evidence from Variation in the Earned Income Tax Credit (with Donald Kenkel and Maximilian Schmeiser) Journal of Human Resources, October 2014, 49:1094-1120
Dollars on the Sidewalk: Should U.S. Presidential Candidates Advertise in Uncontested States? (with Sarah Niebler) American Journal of Political Science, April 2014, 58:2, 322-336
Protecting Homeowners: Foreclosure Counseling Policies and Modifications of Mortgage Terms (with J. Michael Collins and Maximilian Schmeiser) Journal of Consumer Affairs, July 2013, 47(2):289–310
The Effects of Financial Education Graduation Requirements on Postsecondary Financing Decisions (with Christiana Stoddard)
- This Version: June 2017, under review
Financial Wellbeing over the Lifecourse (with J. Michael Collins)
- Draft coming soon
Exploring the Rise of Mortgage Borrowing Among Older Americans (with J. Michael Collins and Erik Hembre)
- This Version: March, 2018, under review
Do Local House Prices Affect Campaign Contributions (with Rebecca Lessem)
- Draft Coming Soon
Close Contests and Future Voter Turnout (with Rebecca Lessem and Erica VanSant)
- This Version: March 2018, under review
The Demography of Credit: Doubling up and Household Credit (with Alexandra Brown, J. Michael Collins and Maximilian Schmeiser)
- This Version: May 2015
Work in Progress
- What does Advertising do? Evidence from Political Price Shifters (with Kenneth Goldstein)
- Mobilization and Persuasion in Congressional Elections (with Anja Prummer)
- Do Increases in Vaccination Reimbursement Fees Increase Children's Vaccination Rates? (with Nicole Hair and Cassia Wagner)
- Local Economic Shocks, Voter Turnout, and Vote Choice: When do House Prices Matter? (with Sarah Niebler)
- Can Past Local Economic Shocks Explain the 2016 Election? (with Sarah Niebler)