MSU receives an award for Excellence in Historic Presentation
Most recently, in 2012 MSU received an award for Excellence in Historic Preservation by the Bozeman Historic Preservation Advisory Board for its masonry restoration of four historic buildings: Traphagen Hall (1920), Lewis Hall (1923), Linfield Hall (1909) and Montana Hall (1896).
The phased restoration project began in 2009 to restore the exterior masonry of the four historic buildings deemed most in need. These buildings represent the growth of MSU - one being 116 years old and the second oldest building on campus; and two buildings from those built during a campus development boom of the 1920's. The dedication of resources towards thoughtful restoration of these iconic campus structures conveys a commitment to the historic character and architecture of early campus visionaries, while enabling the campus to continue its evolution.
The restoration work included repainting eroded mortar joints in brick and stone walls, rebuilding brick parapet walls, installation of through-wall flashing, capping parapet walls with clay tile, removal of paint to reveal original terra cotta trim, replication of concrete brick, replacement of Columbus sandstone windowsills, and extensive composition patching of sandstone trim throughout. As noted by project consultant, Lesley M. Gilmore, AIA, LEED AP and CTA's Historic Preservation Services Director, these efforts to protect the architectural integrity of the historic buildings, and efforts to match architectural detailing and replicate old world craftsmanship but using new products and techniques will prevent the pattern of moisture penetration in the masonry materials, ensure long-term durability of the buildings for this next century of use.
Sensitive restoration of MSU's historic buildings embodies the institutions tripartite mission by enabling these well-constructed buildings to effectively continue to serve the campus, community and state.
An example of the masonry work is shown below with before and after photos of Linfield Hall.
|Linfield Hall Before:||Linfield Hall After:|
Other awards have included excellence in categories of Public Gathering Space - for Alumni Plaza; and beautification through Public Sculpture Art recognizing the Montana Art's Council installation of the Wind Arc.
The Alumni Plaza dramatically enhanced the aesthetic and functionality of the pedestrian corridor leading north from Montana Hall as shown in these before and after photos below. The Alumni Plaza features "Spirit" the university's mascot bobcat by MSU Alum Robert L. Slayton ('52).
|Pedestrian corridor prior to installation of Alumni Plaza.||Alumni Plaza.|
The only kinetic public art sculpture on campus, the Wind Arc by Gary Bates, is located at the Grant Street entrance to the Malone Centennial Mall and adjacent to the Engineering and Physical Science (EPS) building.
Contact Victoria Drummond, Associate University Planner via email or by phone at 994-7914 if you have questions.