- Ensure that your IP address has been given proper permissions to access the MySQL database. To make this request, contact Web and Digital Communications and reference this page.
- Download and install (if you have not done this previously) the Connector/ODBC driver for MySQL. It can be found here:
Note: there may be more recent versions of this driver by the time you are reading this.
- Open Microsoft ACCESS and create a new database. If you are using an existing database, skip to Step 5.
- Give it a name. Click the 'Create' button.
- With the new database open, click on the 'External Data' tab.
- Under the 'Import' grouping, click 'More' and choose 'ODBC Database'.
- Select 'Link to the data source by creating a linked table' and click the 'OK' button.
- Click the 'Machine Data Source' tab and click the 'New' button.
Just ignore the following warning if you receive it and click 'OK button.
- Select 'User Data Source' and click the 'Next' button.
- Select 'MySQL ODBC 3.51 Driver' and click the 'Next' button.
- Click the 'Finish' button
- Customize the 'Connector/ODBC' to fit your database connection. All fields of the 'Login' tab should be filled out. If you need this information, please contact Web and Digital Communications and reference this page.
Additional steps will be created to describe the process of creating a secure connection.
- Click the 'Test' button to verify that the connection is successful (click 'OK' to exit out of the popup window).
Then click the 'Ok' button.
- In the 'Select Data Source' window choose the new source you just created from the list and click the 'OK' button.
- Choose which tables to link (you can choose one or more), then click the 'OK' button.
- You should now be able to see the selected tables. If you have been given the proper permissions you should be able to edit information from within those tables as well.
MSU Web Communications
Montana State University
P.O. Box 172220
Bozeman, MT 59717-2220
Tel: (406) 994-5036
Fax: (406) 994-4102
Location: 419 Culbertson