How can the MSU Writing Center partner with you?
The MSU Writing Center is a free campus resource offering one-on-one tutoring (online or face-to-face) for student writers of all disciplines and all class levels at any stage of the writing process. Other forms of writing support, including workshops and writing groups, are also available. We at the Writing Center believe that we support our students best when we are in conversation with those teaching in the classroom. We want to partner with you!
What can we provide?
- Class Presentations: Our standard class presentation takes about 5-10 minutes and gives a brief who, what, when, where, how, and why of the Writing Center.
- Assignment Design Consultation: Our Writing Center director is happy to work with you in designing your writing assignments.
- GTA Consultation: We will work with your GTAs to help them most effectively respond to your students’ writing.
- Writing Studios: In a writing studio, students enrolled in a class meet regularly outside of the classroom space in small groups to actively work together on their research and writing. A Writing Center tutor facilitates these groups.
- Workshops: We have several writing workshops available upon request that can be modified to
meet your specific course needs. Current workshop topics include the following:
- Getting the Most out of Peer Review
- Citations: The Basics of MLA Style (or APA Style or …)
- Strategies for Getting Started
- Practical Grammar
- Final Paper Jumpstart
- Writing an Artist’s Statement
- Technical Writing Basics
Contact Jess Carroll or Michelle Miley to set up a consultation or schedule a workshop for your class. Consultations enable us to understand exactly what specific needs and desires you have for your course. We’re happy to discuss new possibilities and models of partnerships.
Feel free to paste this paragraph into your syllabus to inform students about the resource we provide to students.
To support you in your writing this semester, you have the option of meeting with a tutor at the MSU Writing Center. The MSU Writing Center is available free of charge to all student writers at any stage in their writing – from figuring out the assignment to editing and helping you proofread. At the MSU Writing Center, we think of writing as a form of conversation: someone writes, and another responds by reading. Because writers and readers are separated by time and space, writers may not know how a reader will respond. When you work with a tutor, you get the benefit of an “immediate audience.” To make an appointment or for more information about the Writing Center, visit the MSU Writing Center webpage at www.montana.edu/writingcenter.
Why Peer Tutors?
The foundation of our support is our peer tutor program. Our peer tutors are not only committed, but are also able to provide support to students because they are peers rather than professionals. Students are comfortable working with them, and because the tutors are not disciplinary experts, student writers gain authority and confidence as they articulate what they know about their discipline.
In addition, our peer tutors gain professional and academic experience. We are supporting them as they support our student writers.
The Writing Center hires new tutors from all disciplines twice a year, in April and November. If you have students who would make great tutors, please encourage them to apply!
Writing Center Newsletter
Additional Online Resources
From the Dartmouth Institute for Writing and Rhetoric