MSU Pre-Award Services in the Office of Sponsored Programs subscribes to two large searchable databases of funding opportunities (COS and SPIN) via the internet to help identify a funding agency for your proposal. These may be in the form of research grants, collaborative activities, travel, curriculum development, conference support, fellowships, post-doc positions, equipment acquisition, operating or capital expenses, and more. (Note: Access is restricted to Montana State University campuses.)
The Libraries at MSU subscribes to the Foundation Directory Online Plus. Access is available from any networked computer in the Renne Library at MSU. Go to: http://www.lib.montana.edu/, then to "Find-> Articles & Research Databases-> Foundation Directory Online Plus." The Reference Desk can provide assistance.
COS Pivot Funding Opportunities -
Sponsored Programs Information Network (SPIN) Funding Opportunities - http://www.infoedglobal.com
For general information on these databases, go to
To identify sources specifically for women and/or minority applicants, the following criteria are available in COS and SPIN to assist you in narrowing your searches. For best results, try searching using a variety of combinations of these along with other criteria you select.
SPIN criteria available for women applicants -
- "Applicant Type"
- provides choices of "Woman", "Young Investigator/Junior Faculty", "Graduate student" (This category describes individual and institutional eligibility.)
- "Target Groups"
- includes "Women", "Minorities", "Minority-Native American", etc. (This category describes the groups designated as the direct beneficiary of grant funds-typically used in conjunction with "Award Type" "Service Delivery")
- - Cultural diversity, Women's education, Women's health, Women's social/economic services, Women's studies, Emotional/Mental Health-Women, Psychology of Women, Multicultural education, Cultural activities, Equity, Discrimination, Minorities and Disadvantaged, Minority Education, Minority Social/Economic Services, Educational retention, Cross-cultural studies, Racism/Race Relations, Native Americans, Blacks, OR anything specific to your research areas.
- category allows you to choose "Minority, Women (This category describes who the applicant must be to be eligible.)
- - Cultural diversity, Women's education, Women's health, Women Social or Economic Services, Women's Studies, Multicultural Education, Discrimination, Minorities and Disadvantaged, Minority Education, Minority Health, Minority or Women-Owned Business, Cross Cultural Studies, Racism or Race Relation, Native Americans, Blacks, OR anything specific to your research areas.
Keep in mind that some of your search terms may not be used as "keywords" in these databases. If this is the case, try searching for the term by doing a "text search". In SPIN, search in the "title," "objectives," or "synopsis". In COS, search in "all fields," "sponsor," "title," or "abstract".
- You are welcome to call Audrey Thurlow at 994-6240 for assistance in using these databases, and for setting up your Funding Alerts.