Montana State University

University Regulations

Student Academic and Conduct Guidelines

Montana State University expects each student to maintain acceptable standards of behavior on campus and in the community and to manifest a serious purpose by maintaining a satisfactory scholastic standing in the courses undertaken. No student who shows persistent unwillingness or inability to comply with these requirements will be permitted to continue his or her affiliation with the University.

A complete statement of the guidelines and procedures concerning academic integrity and student conduct is contained in the pamphlet titled: "Conduct Guidelines and Grievance Procedures for Students." The pamphlet is revised regularly and is the official statement of guidelines and procedures for the University. Copies of the pamphlet are available from the Dean of Students' Office, Room 174 in the SUB.

Personal Property

Valuable personal property should be adequately protected. Montana State University is not responsible for the loss or destruction of any of the personal property of students.


All persons operating vehicles on the University campus should be familiar with MSU vehicle regulations, copies of which are available at the University Police Department, Roy Huffman Building, 7th and Kagy. Students, faculty, staff, and visitors must register any motor vehicles they park on the university campus for any reason.

The regulations are considered to be part of the terms and conditions of enrollment for students and of employment for staff members. Students must register their vehicles within one week after classes begin; faculty and staff must register within one week after beginning employment. A vehicle registration fee is payable at the time each vehicle is registered.

Registration is not considered complete until the registration decal is mounted on the left side of the rear bumper so that it is plainly visible from the rear. The registration decal designates areas in which the vehicle may be legally parked on campus.

All visitors are required to have a parking permit to park at Montana State University Monday through Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Parking permits may be purchased at the Visitor Information Booth located at 7th and Grant or the University Police Department at 7th and Kagy.

Montana State University assumes no responsibility for the care or protection of any vehicle or its contents while operated or parked on the campus. The University reserves the right to revoke student use or possession of vehicles for conduct or scholastic reasons. The Board of Regents has authorized Montana State University to levy fines against students, faculty, and employees for violations of parking, traffic, or vehicle registration regulations. These fines and penalties are listed in the vehicle regulations.

Bicycles must be registered if they are used on campus. They should be operated in a prudent manner and parked only in racks provided, except in the campus family housing area. Violators are subject to fine. Bicycles must be walked, not ridden, though designated areas in the central campus.

All matters concerning parking and traffic should be referred to the University Police Department. The University Police are sworn peace officers of the State of Montana and have authority as vested in these officers by law.

Alcohol/Drug/Tobacco Policy

Montana State University is an environment where inappropriate use of alcohol and the use of illicit substances are prohibited. This belief shall be reflected in this University policy and in an institutionally-supported commitment to provide requisite resources for assessment and education with respect to drugs (alcohol, nicotine, and illicit substances) and enforcement of related policies.

The standards set forth will be upheld with described sanctions imposed where appropriate. Refer to the Schedule of Classes booklet (issued each semester) and/or the Dean of Students' Office for standards of policy and enforcement. The Alcohol and Drug Policy is also available on the Internet.

Campus Crime Report

Crime is a reality at Montana State University. Preventing crime is everyone's responsibility. Unreported crime is a criminal's greatest ally. Suspicion that a criminal act has taken place is the only justification needed to call the University Police Department. Whether you are a victim, witness, or have information about a criminal offense or suspicious activity, contact the University Police.

On campus call 911
Off campus call 994-2121
24 hour emergency dispatch
Report a crime anonymously by e-mail to:

Refer to the Schedule of Classes booklet (issued each semester) or consult with the University Police Department regarding complete policies, procedures, and annual crime statistics. The Campus Crime Report is also available on the Internet. Copies of the Campus Safety & Security Handbook are available at several locations on campus including Admissions and New Student Services and the University Police Department.

Sexual Assault Policy

Montana State University recognizes the need for a safe and secure environment, an informed student population, and specialized services and assistance to support student wellness, personal growth, and academic success.

The university's sexual assault policy meets with both the spirit and intent of its philosophy toward student victims and complies with the Federal Crime Awareness and Campus Security Act of 1990. Under this Higher Education Act (HEA), the university's policy includes: education, a range of sanctioning, procedures for the victim and the institution to follow in the even of an incident, procedures for on-campus disciplinary action, the student's option to notify law enforcement, existing campus and community assistance and services, and options for the victim relevant to academic course and living modifications.

Refer to the Dean of Students' Office (994-2826) and/or the V.O.I.C.E. (Victim Options In the Campus Environment) office (994-7069) for policy and professional assistance.

Right of Appeal and Grievances

Student Grievances

Student grievances are handled by approved university procedures. Grievances may be of at least four types: 1) academic, 2) student conduct, 3) discrimination or sexual harassment, or 4) other non-academic grievances.

  1. Academic Grievances: Academic grievances are grievances involving coursework, grades, etc. All such grievances are to be handled in accordance with approved university guidelines and procedures. Copies of the approved procedures are available from offices of department heads, college deans, the Provost's Office, and the Dean of Students' Office.
  2. Student Conduct Grievances: Student conduct grievances are those which do not involve academics or alleged discrimination or sexual harassment. Copies of university conduct guidelines and appeals procedures for conduct grievances at the Dean of Students' Office.
  3. Discrimination or Sexual Harassment: Montana State University guarantees the right to file a grievance on grounds of discrimination to all students, employees, or applicants for admission or employment. Any student who believes he or she may have experience unlawful discrimination on account of race; sex; color; national origin; religion; age; veteran, parental, or marital status; or physical or mental disability should visit the Affirmative Action Office to discuss his or her concerns and to initiate any formal grievance procedure. In addition, Montana State University prohibits all forms of sexual harassment of employees by coworkers or superiors, or of students by peers, staff, faculty, or administrators. Students seeking advice on or wishing to file a grievance related to alleged sexual harassment should contact the university affirmative action/human resources officer. A copy of the university-approved policy and procedures regarding sexual harassment is available from that officer.
  4. Other Non-Academic Grievances:
    1. Traffic Violation Appeals: The Traffic Appeals and Regulations Committee handles appeals of traffic violation citations. This committee is composed of four students, three faculty, three classified staff, and three professional non faculty members. The University Police Director is an ex-officio non-voting member. The decision of the committee is final on all appeals. Contact the University Police Department for appeal forms and additional information.
    2. Student Financial Aid Appeals: Appeals of actions of the Financial Aid Services Office, which relate to financial aid awards, may be addressed to the Financial Aid Appellate Board. The student should first contact the Director of Financial Aid and, if the grievance cannot be resolved at that level, the director will refer the student to the chair of the Financial Aid Appellate Board. Appeals must be in writing.
    3. Appeals of Residency Status Classification for Fee Purposes: Residency status for fee purposes is initially determined for undergraduates by the Office of Admissions and for graduates by the College of Graduate Studies. Requests for reclassification are handled by the Registrar. Appeals of registry decisions made by these offices may be made to the Residency Appeals Board. Information about reclassification and appeals can be obtained from the Office of the Registrar.
    4. Student Athletic Grievances: Student athletes who have grievances should contact the Director of Athletics. Regulations and requirements are published by the Athletics Department as well as by the directors for each sport.
    5. Residence Life Grievances: Grievances related to living in the residence halls can be made through the residence hall judicial system. This is described in detail in the Residence Hall Handbook, which is available from the Residence Life Office. Family housing residents should contact the Family Housing Office if they have grievances.


The student should be aware that, in cases of disagreement with the decision of a staff member, an appeal for review of the decision may be made to the next higher official or body unless otherwise stated in the grievance policy. If the student is in doubt concerning the person to whom the appeal should be made, he or she should consult the Dean of Students' Office.

Affirmative Action/Nondiscrimination Policies

Montana State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual preference, marital status, age, religion, creed or political belief, mental or physical disability, or status as a Vietnam era or disabled veteran in admission, access to, or conduct of its educational programs and activities nor in its employment policies and practices.

Montana State University is committed to providing a working environment for all employees and an educational environment for all students that supports and rewards career and academic goals on the basis of ability and work or academic performance. Harassment based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, or disability is a form of discrimination and is prohibited.

The University is committed to a program of affirmative action in the recruitment, hiring, training, and promotion of persons in all classes of employment to help overcome the present effects of past discrimination and prevent underutilization of qualified women and minorities, persons with disabilities, and Vietnam era and disabled veterans. In addition, Montana State University assumes particular responsibility for providing opportunities for education and training for the state's Native American peoples in the various disciplines and professions that are characteristic of this land-grant university. The university's Affirmative Action Plan is available in the Human Resources/Affirmative Action Office.

Employees or students who commit or supervisors who knowingly condone or fail to report incidents of discrimination are subject to disciplinary actions when instances of discrimination are identified and confirmed. Knowingly filing false complaints of discrimination or knowingly providing false testimony will likewise result in disciplinary or corrective action when instances of such conduct are identified and confirmed. Retaliation against persons who file complaints or serve as witnesses is also a violation of laws prohibiting discrimination and will lead to appropriate disciplinary action against offenders.

Montana State University affords any student, employee, applicant for employment or admissions, or person who believes he or she was discriminated against by the University, the right to file a grievance on grounds of discrimination. As a condition of their employment and enrollment, employees and students are expected to cooperate in formal investigations of complaints of discrimination. Failure to cooperate will result in disciplinary action.

The person responsible for the University's compliance efforts is Marjorie Brown, Human Resources/Affirmative Action Director, Suite 7 Hamilton Hall, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT 59717-2430, (406/994-2042); Fax 406/994-7999.)

Complaints of discrimination, including harassment on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, or disability should be reported to the Human Resources/Affirmative Action Office. The complete Non-Discrimination policy is available electronically or in print copy or alternate formats from the address above.

Sexual Harassment and Sexual Intimidation

Sexual harassment includes unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, or other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature when:

  1. Submission to such conduct is made implicitly or explicitly as a term or condition of an individual's employment or education,
  2. Submission to or rejection of such conduct is used as a basis for employment or educational decisions, or
  3. Such conduct has the purpose or effect of unreasonably interfering with an individual's work or academic performance or of creating an intimidating, hostile, or offensive environment.

Sexual intimidation includes any unreasonable behavior, verbal or nonverbal, which has the effect of subjecting members of either sex to humiliation, embarrassment, or discomfort because of their gender.

Sexual harassment is a form of sex discrimination and is prohibited by state and federal non-discrimination laws. Sexual intimidation in education is prohibited by state rules.

Sexually Explicit Materials in the Workplace

In keeping with the university's policy on sexual harassment, Montana State University desires to create a working environment for employees and a learning environment for students which is free of sexual harassment and intimidation. Materials such as calendars, posters, post cards, photography and cartoons that contain sexually explicit images or language can create an intimidating, hostile, or offensive environment and may subject persons of either sex to humiliation, embarrassment, or discomfort because of their gender. Such materials are inappropriate and should be removed from the workplace.

This policy applies to space provided by the University such as offices, shops, classrooms, hallways, lounges and study carrels.

This policy does not apply to: 1) libraries, resource rooms or research collections; 2) materials related to course content or assignments used in the educational setting; 3) displays and exhibits in galleries and museums; or 4) private rooms or family housing units rented from the University.

Consensual Relationships (Same as Faculty Handbook Section 445.00, Conflict of Interest)

A consensual romantic relationship in which one party is in a position to evaluate the work of the other is a potential conflict of interest. When such a potential conflict of interest results between employees or an employee and a student, the employee(s) shall disclose the potential conflict of interest to his or her supervisor. The supervisor and the employee shall take steps to ensure that there is no conflict of interest.

The employee's failure to disclose such a potential conflict of interest may require appropriate resolution.

Accommodation for Persons with Disabilities

The University is committed to the elimination of disability-based discrimination against qualified persons with disabilities. The University make appropriate reasonable accommodation for any known disability that interferes with an applicant's ability to compete in a selection process, an employee's ability to perform the essential functions of a job, a student's ability to meet the essential requirements of an academic program, or a person's ability to benefit from a university service or participate in a university-sponsored or hosted event.

All applicants, employees, students, or participants, including those with disabilities, are expected to be able to perform the essential functions of the position or program, with or without reasonable accommodation. It is the responsibility of the applicant, employee, student, or participant with a disability to inform the appropriate person, as indicated below, that an accommodation is needed:

  1. To request accommodation in a job application or interview process, contact:
    • the hiring authority or chair of the search committee of the search, as indicated on the vacancy announcement,
    • Personnel and Payroll Services (406/994-3651; TDD: 406/994-4331) if the position is for classified employment
    • Human Resources/Affirmative Action (406/994-2042; TDD: 406/994-4191) if the position is for faculty or contract professional employment.
  2. To request accommodation in employment, including concerns about job duties, contact the direct supervisor.
  3. To request accommodation when applying for admission to the University, contact:
    • The Director of Admissions and New Student Services, (406/994-2452, TDD 406/994-3334), if applying for undergraduate admissions
    • The Dean of Graduate Studies, (406/994-4145), if applying for graduate admissions
  4. To request accommodation when applying for housing or to request housing accommodation, contact:
    • Residence Life and University Food Service (406/994-2661) if applying for housing in the residence halls
    • Family Housing (406/994-3730, TDD 406/994-5808), if applying for family or graduate housing.
  5. To request accommodation related to an academic program or requirement, class, or other educational opportunity or activity, contact the office of Disability, Re-entry and Veterans Services, Room #155, Strand Union Building, (406/994-2824). A student who desires accommodation for a disability must submit appropriate documentation of the disability and request for accommodations to this address.
  6. To request public accommodation or accommodation to participate in a university-sponsored or hosted event, contact the event sponsor or the University Compliance Officer (406/994-2042).

University Compliance Officer

The person responsible for the University's compliance efforts is:

Diane Letendre
Human Resources/ Affirmative Action Director
210-C Montana Hall Montana State University
Bozeman, MT 59717-2430
Phone: 406/994-2042
TDD: 406/994-4191
Fax: 406/994-2893

Alternate Formats

This and other University policies and procedures are available in alternate formats upon request.


  • Civil Rights Acts of 1866 and 1871
  • Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (42 U.S.C. 2000d)
  • Civil Rights Restoration Act of 1988
  • Civil Rights Act of 1991
  • Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (20 U.S.C. 1681 et seq.)
  • Equal Pay Act of 1963
  • Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act of 1994
  • Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1975, as amended (29 U.S.C. 621)
  • Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990
  • Sections 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1972 (29 U.S.C. 794)
  • Vietnam Era Veteran's Readjustment Act of 1974
  • Montana Veteran's Employment Preference Act
  • Montana Human Rights Act
  • Executive Orders 11246 as amended by Executive Order 11375 and 12086 and implemented by Revised Order 4
  • Montana Board of Regents of Higher Education, Policy and Procedures Manual, Sections 703 and 1902
  • Fair Housing Act 942 VSC 360 1 et.seq.

> Back to Table of Contents